Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID TURBO by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

281 Posts

06-02-2011

United States

123 Signins

1897 Page Views

• Views: 1897
  • Message 511 of 592

Re: Un-Official Marshmallow (Android 6.x) News here

2016-10-19, 17:38 PM

wrote:

I think Verizon is getting hate from me by not supporting their flagship Turbo phone (one upgrade to Lollipop six months late and now obsolete. The last thing I want to do is buy a Google Pixel from them and go through the nightmare I just been through with Droid Turbo. If anyone knows if this would definately not be the case, please let me know.

The hate for VZW extends beyond the Turbo. It goes back to the last Nexus they carried. The Galaxy Nexus. They released updates for it well after the rest of the Nexus line received them. They didn't release in conjunction with Google. So the statement that VZW will release updates the same time Google does is a big deal. We will see how it pans out. Buying through the Google store guarantees updates from Google.

Options

102 Posts

06-26-2014

United States of America

206 Signins

3605 Page Views

• Views: 3605
  • Message 512 of 592

2016-10-19, 18:51 PM

wrote:
General Verizon hate makes perfect sense, especially from Turbo owners, but Verizon and Google have both confirmed that the Verizon Pixel will be updated at the same time as the unlocked Pixels. From what I understand, the bootloader is locked on the Verizon Pixel (this means nothing to me) and it will have a 3-4 pre-loaded bloatware apps that can be removed.

Of course there's no way to confirm they won't screw things up until the first software updates roll out and it's definitely fair to distrust Verizon when it comes to updates.

They can SAY all they want, but if it's not in writing it means zilch.

Options

60 Posts

03-02-2016

United States of America

122 Signins

743 Page Views

• Views: 743
  • Message 513 of 592

2016-10-20, 20:08 PM

wrote:

wrote:
General Verizon hate makes perfect sense, especially from Turbo owners, but Verizon and Google have both confirmed that the Verizon Pixel will be updated at the same time as the unlocked Pixels. From what I understand, the bootloader is locked on the Verizon Pixel (this means nothing to me) and it will have a 3-4 pre-loaded bloatware apps that can be removed.

Of course there's no way to confirm they won't screw things up until the first software updates roll out and it's definitely fair to distrust Verizon when it comes to updates.

They can SAY all they want, but if it's not in writing it means zilch.

Apparently it is in writing that they won't stand in the way of updates (which could be an admission of guilt?). But it's too late for me. I don't trust Verizon and it also helps that their service is quite bad in my area despite being in a major metropolitan area.

Btw saw this random tweet:

@"Escalated to VP level @ vzw spoke with executive staff support. Told me #moto is not giving 6.0 said to side load or new phn RIP #DroidTurbo"

Options

25 Posts

11-29-2014

United States

38 Signins

597 Page Views

• Views: 597
  • Message 514 of 592

2016-10-25, 0:14 AM

For giggles I tweeted

Will the Droid Turbo be getting updated to Android 6.0 Marshmallow?

@RAWVEEDA Keeping up to date w/software is always a must. You can check here for any new details spr.ly/60138DyUS ^ELW

So they say keeping up to date is always a must....BUT they still can't answer the question.  Classic.

Options

189 Posts

07-04-2014

United States

57 Signins

457 Page Views

• Views: 457
  • Message 515 of 592

2016-10-26, 11:22 AM

Well , it's been real Moto... I have officially jumped ship - I bought the Pixel XL! For years I was a dedicated Motorola customer, and the way software updates have been botched with empty promises has finally driven me out. Three phones in a row that I've owned manufactured by Moto have been promised updates and never delivered. Bittersweet moment for me walking away, as I have been die hard Moto for as long as I can remember. Good luck everyone! 

Options

96 Posts

12-10-2014

U.K.

151 Signins

929 Page Views

• Views: 929
  • Message 516 of 592

2016-10-26, 13:56 PM

I also bought the Google Pixel XL yesterday. I stayed with Verizon because monetary considerations with the intent of paying the Pixel off early. There are maybe 3 bloatware apps that Verizon installs but that's it. 1. G090 -I uninstalled it. 2. My Verizon - which I like anyway and will keep. 3. Messages + - Again, I may keep that because I also like that one but good news is that it can be uninstalled and is not the default message app. The fingerprint sensor is quick and really no reason for me not to use it. I was lazy with having to enter a pin everytime and most of the time my phone was unsecured. It is really nice to have Android 7.1 right out of the box. Oh and this thing is a beast...Lightening fast. Hopefully, there will be no lag in updates and I will receive them as soon as Google sends them. Time will tell. I have been almost two years here. I have done my time. Farewell. I am free at last!

Options

102 Posts

06-26-2014

United States of America

206 Signins

3605 Page Views

• Views: 3605
  • Message 517 of 592

2016-10-26, 14:57 PM

Just out of curiosity, who's engineering the radios in the phones now? Is it still Motorola engineering or is Lenovo doing the radios? I may stick with Moto just for the radios if they're still the same old Moto quality. The only thing that's kept me from going to another brand has been the fact my wife's note5 can't hang with my Turbo on wifi connections.

Options

67 Posts

12-15-2014

United States of America

59 Signins

840 Page Views

• Views: 840
  • Message 518 of 592

2016-11-01, 14:57 PM
Just starting to look at the potential to go with the Pixel. Does it have "gestures" like the moto's. I have gotten very used to those and will dislike being with out them.
HJS
Options

73 Posts

11-24-2013

United States of America

52 Signins

312 Page Views

• Views: 312
  • Message 519 of 592

2016-11-01, 14:58 PM

Gestures are a moto thing. Get ready to pull down the notification shade to turn on a flashlight, instead of "chop chop"

Options

3 Posts

11-01-2016

United States of America

5 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 520 of 592

2016-11-01, 18:47 PM

I just stepped up from the Turbo to the Pixel XL.  What a step!.  I love this new phone.  I thought the Tubo was a beast but this phone has it beat.  So to answer your question, it doesn't have the number of gestures that Moto has.  Moto is definitely king here.  What is does have is: a finger print reder to wake up and unlock phone (love it), swipe down on fingerprint reader to open notification screen, down again to open quick startmenu, up to close, double tap on power button for instant camera opening, double twist to switch from back to front camera.  It also has goole version of Moto lock screen nottifications but they are not as robust. It is supposed to get double tap on screen to wake.  I hope this answers some of your questions.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms