Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID TURBO by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

25 Posts

01-13-2015

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 17

Unexpected Shutdown on Droid Turbo

2015-01-13, 3:50 AM

I am a relatively experienced Android user and do not believe this is normal, but has anyone noticed their Droid Turbo shutting down above or around 15%? Mine has done this twice now, at 17-18%. The first time, I was simply casting to Chromecast and the battery warning showed followed with the normal shutdown message overtop before I could even acknowledge. The second time, tonight, I was playing a relatively demanding game that uses the battery rapidly and causes a fair amount of heat output. I do not believe this to be a thermal issue.

First, the issue is not related to any charger. The first time I had topped off the battery with the Turbo Charger to about 30% and this happened as it drained again. The second time, I used the Duo Rapid Charger from my Moto X. Second, this is unusual because from experience, the battery notification shows at 14% on this device. Also I believe Android shutdown at 4-5% remaining.

As far as battery health, I have had this device since mid-November. It is charged every night using one of the aforementioned chargers. I periodically let the battery decline to 20% and charge to full or near full to preserve it.

The question is if this is a software bug, hardware issue, or bad device? My searches have lead me nowhere so far. Any response is greatly appreciated!

--Device Info—

Version: Verizon Droid Turbo in Ballistic Nylon 32GB

Model: Motorola XT1254

Answer
Options

71 Posts

11-02-2014

United States

97 Signins

1335 Page Views

• Views: 1335

Re: Unexpected Shutdown on Droid Turbo

2015-01-14, 6:15 AM
I've had this happen to me twice, exactly as you have described. I think it is related to how the phone is charged. If you look around the forums, there are a few threads that indicate that something is wrong with the way this phone keeps battery stats. If I use any other charger besides the turbo charger, I will get phone shutdowns at higher battery percents (indicated) than normal.

I think Android is indicating a battery value that is higher than the true charge remaining. The only way I've gotten back to an accurate battery meter is to let the phone drain until it shuts down, then plug it in with the turbo charger without powering it on until the charge screen indicates 100%.

Despite multiple threads on this, I'm not sure Moto is tracking this issue as a bug :-/

Replies(16)
Options

707 Posts

12-19-2010

United States of America

234 Signins

3354 Page Views

• Views: 3354
  • Message 2 of 17

2015-01-13, 16:43 PM

Purposely letting my battery drain over night and today... down to 14%, low battery message popped up, but it did not shut down on me. I sort of remember that when I had king candy game installed, it did actually shut down on me when my battery got this low, but I no longer have that installed, so I can't confirm that it actually happened... maybe it is a safety switch installed on the phone so that everything shuts down in the background??? who knows??

Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Views: 2684
  • Message 3 of 17

2015-01-13, 17:14 PM

Have you tested in Safe Mode?

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Answer
Options

71 Posts

11-02-2014

United States

97 Signins

1335 Page Views

• Views: 1335
  • Message 4 of 17

2015-01-14, 6:15 AM
I've had this happen to me twice, exactly as you have described. I think it is related to how the phone is charged. If you look around the forums, there are a few threads that indicate that something is wrong with the way this phone keeps battery stats. If I use any other charger besides the turbo charger, I will get phone shutdowns at higher battery percents (indicated) than normal.

I think Android is indicating a battery value that is higher than the true charge remaining. The only way I've gotten back to an accurate battery meter is to let the phone drain until it shuts down, then plug it in with the turbo charger without powering it on until the charge screen indicates 100%.

Despite multiple threads on this, I'm not sure Moto is tracking this issue as a bug :-/

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

25 Posts

01-13-2015

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 17

2015-01-14, 11:16 AM

SglGrma said:

Purposely letting my battery drain over night and today... down to 14%, low battery message popped up, but it did not shut down on me. I sort of remember that when I had king candy game installed, it did actually shut down on me when my battery got this low, but I no longer have that installed, so I can't confirm that it actually happened... maybe it is a safety switch installed on the phone so that everything shuts down in the background??? who knows??

View original

Thanks! It wouldn't surprise me if it was app related. One thing with the Droid Turbo that I want to see carried over from other Moto phones is the Battery Saver at 15%. Why exactly is this now in the 'Battery' menu in Settings anymore? It was in KitKat on the Moto X...

Options

25 Posts

01-13-2015

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 17

2015-01-14, 11:18 AM

eaccents said:

Have you tested in Safe Mode?

View original

No I haven't. About the only time I've bothered with Safe Mode is when my previous devices have crashed and rebooted me into it for some odd reason.

Options

25 Posts

01-13-2015

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 17

2015-01-14, 11:26 AM

ski44 said:

I've had this happen to me twice, exactly as you have described. I think it is related to how the phone is charged. If you look around the forums, there are a few threads that indicate that something is wrong with the way this phone keeps battery stats. If I use any other charger besides the turbo charger, I will get phone shutdowns at higher battery percents (indicated) than normal. I think Android is indicating a battery value that is higher than the true charge remaining. The only way I've gotten back to an accurate battery meter is to let the phone drain until it shuts down, then plug it in with the turbo charger without powering it on until the charge screen indicates 100%. Despite multiple threads on this, I'm not sure Moto is tracking this issue as a bug :-/View original

Well guys! We found the Turbo Charger's hidden issues. This wouldn't surprise me at all... Honestly it's not that big o a deal, but had I wanted battery stat issues, I would use and iPhone. Maybe Motorola will fix it or maybe it will just work better in Lollipop, if we ever see it in a reasonable time frame that is... Anyway, still not using the Turbo Charger every night. It's too big compared to the old Duo Rapid Charger, plus I need to charge my Pebble too. Lastly, Thanks for the responses!

Options

3 Posts

09-12-2015

United States of America

4 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 8 of 17

2016-03-17, 15:41 PM

unfortunately, this didn't resolve the issue with my battery. i chatted with support from motorola. rep was trying to help at first but when all measures were exhausted (factory reset and all) she started to get corporate. in the end, the phone is junk and needs to be replaced. it is still under warranty since i just bought it in sept. 2015. she gave 2 options, which are both ridiculous. 1st option, pay $500.00 + tax upfront, + another $24.99 for shipping. 2nd option, send back the unit for replacement after they receive it. I chose the 2nd option, she just stated without a blink that the 2nd option was not available to me and backed out of it. Gave me a 3rd, which is to send back the phone for repair and if they cannot fix it, they will not replace it, they will just return it to me. just shows how unreliable motorola is when it comes to warranties. why do i have to go thru all these for a defective phone after only 6 months of normal use? never again.

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 9 of 17

2016-03-17, 16:23 PM

Somehow, that doesn't seem right.  Let me see if I can have someone look into this @Nino2.

Options

20072 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2564 Signins

64708 Page Views

• Views: 64708
  • Message 10 of 17

2016-03-17, 18:49 PM

wrote:

unfortunately, this didn't resolve the issue with my battery. i chatted with support from motorola. rep was trying to help at first but when all measures were exhausted (factory reset and all) she started to get corporate. in the end, the phone is junk and needs to be replaced. it is still under warranty since i just bought it in sept. 2015. she gave 2 options, which are both ridiculous. 1st option, pay $500.00 + tax upfront, + another $24.99 for shipping. 2nd option, send back the unit for replacement after they receive it. I chose the 2nd option, she just stated without a blink that the 2nd option was not available to me and backed out of it. Gave me a 3rd, which is to send back the phone for repair and if they cannot fix it, they will not replace it, they will just return it to me. just shows how unreliable motorola is when it comes to warranties. why do i have to go thru all these for a defective phone after only 6 months of normal use? never again.

I would be glad to look into this, but I admit to being confused. We don't sell Droids (or warranty them) in Brazil, which is the country you have selected. And there is no other information about your phone.

Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms