11-23-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 31 of 232

Re: 16 hours battery life

2013-09-12, 16:36 PM

I just noticed one big difference.  You have battery saver on and I have it off.

Options

489 Posts

11-08-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 32 of 232

2013-09-12, 20:18 PM

paperclip said:

Initially, I too, was surprised by a sharp drop in % Battery charge (from 100% to 99% charge), by simply powering on the screen after a 100% full charge. I decided to just go about a typical usage cycle, track my battery charge (%) vs. usage (%), in an attempt to identify what type of use, consumes the greatest amount of my battery charge. Wanted to be aware of my 'baseline' usage, before I added any apps & anything I can do, to extend a battery charge. Seems like that initial drop in 1% charge, was not an indicator of anything nefarious. But the usage results raised a few questions...

Recent charge/usage during a battery charging cycle during which I had very light usage, follows: 

49% battery charge remaining @ 1 day 17h. 17 min.   

Top consumption of battery charge:  Voice 26%;   Screen 23%;    Phone idle 22%;   Android OS 21%;  Cell Standby & Android System  = remaining %

1.  Question:  Are there any other tips for  minimizing the battery usage of my 'screen' and "Phone Idle"

My current Display Settings: Brightness is low; Wallpaper - no live wallpapers; Auto-rotate screen;  Sleep after 1 min.; Daydream: ON, with Clock only; Wireless display OFF. 

2.  Question: Does 'Daydream ON' affect screen consumption of battery?

Thanks in advance, for your advice.

View original

the drop from 100 to 99 (or even 98/97) isn't a big deal.  Many times the a charger purposely stops charging at 100% then lets the battery go down a percentage or 2 and the charge cycles back on. So it's not at all crazy that you might pick it up when the phone is someplace between 99 and 100 and it reports 99 because it's not currently in the charge cycle. Phones do that, laptops do that, etc. 

screen and phone idle are frequently among  the highest percentage things in android becasue, well, they eat the highest percentage of your battery. If everything else is sipping the battery (and it appears so if you are only half gone at 1 day and 17hrs) then every time you fire up the screen it eats a big percentage although it's still a relatively small amount.. Android os, idle, etc also use a higher percentage when you aren't using anything else because they're always using a small amount.  The only way to make the percentages go down is to do somethign else that eats more battery like stream music or something- but obviously then your battery isn't going to last days and days.

Daydream on using battery- probably depends on what setting you have. If you have it set to on while docked and you dock the phone without charging it then it will use something. If you set it for only on while charging or charging in a dock then it will use something up but only while it is plugged in so it shouldn't matter too much unless you are just getting a few minutes of charge at the time.. 

Options

1997 Posts

06-03-2015

USA

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 33 of 232

2013-09-13, 0:10 AM

Battery life is very important to me since I'm not near a charger all day when I'm out of the office, about 12 hours, and I use about 2 hours of talk time daily. The MAXX models are the first phones where I don't carry a spare battery and have yet to have a dead phone at the end of a day.

Here's my two cents after spending way too much time monitoring battery life on various phones.

You'll never find the problem without getting more detailed information about battery usage. The stock battery app is not helpful. I use GSAM and BetteryBatteryStats. GSAM currently shows I'll get 1 day 17 hours with my RAZR MAXX HD based on my usage, not sure how accurate that is as I recharge daily. You need to look for apps using too much power and, not so obvious, apps that keep waking your phone from a deep sleep. This could take a lot of detective work as the information isn't always pointing directly to an app.

You mentioned you work in a server room. What absolutely drains my battery dead is a poor signal. I work in NYC and Verizon is having problems to begin with. At certain job sites where I'm in and out of coverage, and using the subway, my battery has the life sucked out of it. I'll be down to 20% where I'd typically have 40-50% by that time during the day. I don't understand why there isn't more user control (like smart actions) when there is a weak signal. I don't need my phone trying to get news headlines when my signal is a poor 1X. You can get an app to track your signal, I think GSAM will track it on a graph vs battery usage.

Do you see your phone having white rather than blue signal bars? Can you keep wifi on so you aren't looking for a cell signal? Do you feel your phone heating up in your pocket? Do you have a phone case (could reduce signal and keep your phone warmer reducing battery life).

As jbass mentioned, draining down isn't a good idea. I don't thing the charger makes a difference if it is taking a charge, its charged. Good luck as finding the problem could take hours if not days.

Options

20 Posts

11-15-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 34 of 232

2013-09-13, 21:30 PM

I've had the Droid Maxx for a week now, and I've had to plug it in every night to get it charged up enough to get it through the next day.  I don't think my usage patterns have changed from the way I used my Droid Raxr Maxx HD, but I never had to charge that beauty more than every OTHER night.  I had hoped the Droid Maxx would be in the same ball park regarding battery life, if not better, but I'm not getting nearly as much life out of it when compared to the Droid Razr Maxx HD.  And honestly, I really don't think it's because I'm on the new phone more....

Options

19232 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2362 Signins

58302 Page Views

• Views: 58302
  • Message 35 of 232

2013-09-13, 23:11 PM

zanshin said:

I've had the Droid Maxx for a week now, and I've had to plug it in every night to get it charged up enough to get it through the next day.  I don't think my usage patterns have changed from the way I used my Droid Raxr Maxx HD, but I never had to charge that beauty more than every OTHER night.  I had hoped the Droid Maxx would be in the same ball park regarding battery life, if not better, but I'm not getting nearly as much life out of it when compared to the Droid Razr Maxx HD.  And honestly, I really don't think it's because I'm on the new phone more....

View original

No, that's not right. About how much battery do you have left at the end of a typical day?

Do you mind if I use your IMEI to look for clues on our end?

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

20 Posts

11-15-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 36 of 232

2013-09-14, 2:40 AM
Sure Matt,that would be fine. My day starts at 04:30am and ends at 9pm. If I start the day at 100% with the RAZR MAXX HD, I'd have 75% or so at the end of the day. With the MAXX, at the end of the day I'm down to the low 50s. I really did get the advertised 32 hours of use from the RAZR MAXX HD. Thanks Matt!
Options

1997 Posts

06-03-2015

USA

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Message 37 of 232

2013-09-14, 13:40 PM

zanshin said:

Sure Matt,that would be fine. My day starts at 04:30am and ends at 9pm. If I start the day at 100% with the RAZR MAXX HD, I'd have 75% or so at the end of the day. With the MAXX, at the end of the day I'm down to the low 50s. I really did get the advertised 32 hours of use from the RAZR MAXX HD. Thanks Matt!View original

Wow, that's pretty darn good on the MAXX. I don't think I get that with the phone sitting on my desk at night. I'm usually down to 50-60% after ~8 hours with the MAXX HD. You're using like 1.5% an hour. I"m using somewhere like 4-5% per hour and I don't stream. What's your secret!

Options

20 Posts

11-15-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 38 of 232

2013-09-14, 14:20 PM

No secret, I used the RAZR Maxx HD just the way it came right out of the box. From day one, the battery life on that thing blew me away.

Options

1799 Posts

08-22-2010

US

221 Signins

3080 Page Views

• Views: 3080
  • Message 39 of 232

2013-09-14, 23:21 PM

I just found an app mentioned on another forum location that I am trying out.  I have excellent battery life on my Maxx so this is just an experiment for me but may be of help to those experiencing less battery life.  The app is "Snapdragon Battery Guru" by Xiam Technologies Limited, a Qualcomm Company.  It is free in the Play store.  That is the manufacturer of the processor in the Maxx.  Might be worth reading up on and trying. Looks like a winner on the face of it. blushI will keep you advised on my experience with it.  It takes two to three days to establish your patterns before it goes to work.

Lew

Options

1997 Posts

06-03-2015

USA

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Message 40 of 232

2013-09-15, 11:56 AM

lewwill said:

I just found an app mentioned on another forum location that I am trying out.  I have excellent battery life on my Maxx so this is just an experiment for me but may be of help to those experiencing less battery life.  The app is "Snapdragon Battery Guru" by Xiam Technologies Limited, a Qualcomm Company.  It is free in the Play store.  That is the manufacturer of the processor in the Maxx.  Might be worth reading up on and trying. Looks like a winner on the face of it. blushI will keep you advised on my experience with it.  It takes two to three days to establish your patterns before it goes to work.

Lew

View original

I tried it when it first came out. After a two or three day training period, I didn't notice a difference - maybe slight improvement. I really don't have an issue with the battery life on my MAXX HD so, like you, it wasn't more than just something to try.

If I recall, it removes the automatic sync on your email accounts so be sure to check that when/if you delete the app. Would like to know how the latest version works for you.

Still, you'd think there was a simple way for a user to throttle data for poor connections or stop the phone from hunting between 4G/3G/1X constantly. The latter has become better but could still use work.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete