Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID ULTRA & ULTRA MAXX
All Forum Topics
Options

1799 Posts

08-22-2010

United States of America

221 Signins

3080 Page Views

• Views: 3080
  • Message 11 of 33

Re: Block OTA Update to Kit Kat?

2014-01-13, 11:52 AM

I remember Joel recommending Leefbridge for additional storage and I ordered one and the Meenova.  Both worked great as did a plain flash drive with the OTG cable.  My wife and I go on a cruise every year and I usually take a movie or two with me.  We take lots of pics and while I back up to G+, use cloud storage, etc. the usb feature is useful to me. I hope we get it back but if not Nexus Media Importer is not too expensive and I will use it. Thanks for that Brian.  

@crystallet

I never saw it as an advertised feature of the phone and I did a lot of research before buying on release date. If eliminating it to keep the device closer to vanilla Android I can live with that as long as the app is available.  Still finding a ton of useful things this phone will do.  The voice activation continues to be amazing blows people away.  I can see the disbelief in their eyes and they swear it has to be a trick.devil

Options

34 Posts

11-10-2013

United States

11 Signins

129 Page Views

• Views: 129
  • Message 12 of 33

2014-01-13, 12:42 PM

driver8 said:

What do you use USB OTG for?  I read the descriptions of it, but I can't figure out what I'd use it for.  When I plug my Maxx into my computer (Windows 7), I see the phone and all its folders just like any other external drive.  I can drag/drop files/folder to and from the phone.

View original

With USB OTG you wouldn't have to turn on your computer. Simply plug into the micro USB port on the phone and use a file explorer on the phone to access external storage. With USB OTG other USB devices can be used with the appropriate adapter, although I have not tried any.

With Wi-Fi file transfers fully enabled, when you are at home you can transfer to and from the storage on your router. Again no need to turn on your computer. No wires either.

Pretty convenient in my opinion.

Options

34 Posts

11-10-2013

United States

11 Signins

129 Page Views

• Message 13 of 33

2014-01-13, 12:51 PM

doogald said:

MiloInSC said:

What I don't like is the removal of features after I purchased the device.

View original

Was this an advertised feature of the device? Did Verizon or Motorola ever document this feature, or did it just work?

I really don't remember. The Verizon site has changed to say that the phone has KitKat, so the rest of the promised features could have changed. However, if the feature was never promised, it seems harsh to criticize the removal of a feature that was never promised.

View original

Advertised or not, I don't remember either. I can see your point regarding the feature not being promised, however, it works. As a result, I want to keep the phone as is for now.

Even if I don't want the Kit Kat "upgrade", it will be forced upon me. It's my device now. I paid for it. I should have the choice to "upgrade" or not "upgrade".

I don't think that is unreasonable.

Options

75 Posts

10-21-2011

United States of America

74 Signins

1313 Page Views

• Views: 1313
  • Message 14 of 33

2014-01-13, 18:53 PM

The update also disables FoxFi , No longer able to use any of the FoxFi tethering options

Options

379 Posts

10-16-2011

United States of America

102 Signins

720 Page Views

• Views: 720
  • Message 15 of 33

2014-01-13, 19:25 PM

MiloInSC said:

Even if I don't want the Kit Kat "upgrade", it will be forced upon me. It's my device now. I paid for it. I should have the choice to "upgrade" or not "upgrade".

View original

Just to play devil's advocate, unless you paid outright for the phone - most do not - Verizon subsidized your purchase. Like a bank that requires you get homeowner's insurance when they give you a mortgage to buy a house, they should have some say in whether or not your phone is at the latest release, for security purposes on their network. You haven't paid the whole price.

Even if you don't buy that argument, you are using their network, and it seems reasonable for them to require that you be at a particular level of software - again, to prevent malware attacks over their network, etc.

Devil's advocacy over - It is funny to read how many people wring their hands in frustration at how "slow" it is to get the latest Android updates on their phones, and then read the people who are frustrated with the difficulty of *not* accepting an OTA. I do agree that it should be user's choice to take the upgrade. You shouldn't have to confront the reminder that the update has downloaded and is ready to install more than once. Among other things, iOS is better than Android about that. But I think it very true that those of you who don't want the upgrade are far outnumbered by those who want the latest and greatest, the day after it is announced.

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 16 of 33

2014-01-13, 19:25 PM

ebourlet said:

The update also disables FoxFi , No longer able to use any of the FoxFi tethering options

View original

This isn't the first time that's happened.  Be sure to contact the developer.  Last time, they developed a work around, and then it actually got fixed.

Options

34 Posts

11-10-2013

United States

11 Signins

129 Page Views

• Message 17 of 33

2014-01-14, 13:51 PM

doogald said:

MiloInSC said:

View original

Just to play devil's advocate, unless you paid outright for the phone - most do not - Verizon subsidized your purchase. Like a bank that requires you get homeowner's insurance when they give you a mortgage to buy a house, they should have some say in whether or not your phone is at the latest release, for security purposes on their network. You haven't paid the whole price.

Even if you don't buy that argument, you are using their network, and it seems reasonable for them to require that you be at a particular level of software - again, to prevent malware attacks over their network, etc.

Devil's advocacy over - It is funny to read how many people wring their hands in frustration at how "slow" it is to get the latest Android updates on their phones, and then read the people who are frustrated with the difficulty of *not* accepting an OTA. I do agree that it should be user's choice to take the upgrade. You shouldn't have to confront the reminder that the update has downloaded and is ready to install more than once. Among other things, iOS is better than Android about that. But I think it very true that those of you who don't want the upgrade are far outnumbered by those who want the latest and greatest, the day after it is announced.

View original

Devil's advocate: I don't buy that argument. The contract has an early termination fee to compensate the service provider for the subsidy of the phone. I also don't agree with the requirement to be at a particular level of software. If that were true, then all of the "older" phones on JB, ICS, Eclair, Cupcake, etc would have been updated as well. If older versions of android were a threat to their network, certainly they would update those phones. As we all know, many "older" phones are not on the latest version of android.

That said, I do agree with you how there are seemingly two camps out there. Those that want the "latest and greatest" immediately and those that take a wait and see approach. For me past experience has shown that the "latest and greatest" is not always better, as many people think.

The Kit Kat OTA update apparently started rolling out late last night. Wish me luck in controlling it on my device.

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Message 18 of 33

2014-01-14, 14:48 PM

MiloInSC said:

doogald said:

MiloInSC said:

View original

View original

Devil's advocate: I don't buy that argument. The contract has an early termination fee to compensate the service provider for the subsidy of the phone. I also don't agree with the requirement to be at a particular level of software. If that were true, then all of the "older" phones on JB, ICS, Eclair, Cupcake, etc would have been updated as well. If older versions of android were a threat to their network, certainly they would update those phones. As we all know, many "older" phones are not on the latest version of android.

That said, I do agree with you how there are seemingly two camps out there. Those that want the "latest and greatest" immediately and those that take a wait and see approach. For me past experience has shown that the "latest and greatest" is not always better, as many people think.

The Kit Kat OTA update apparently started rolling out late last night. Wish me luck in controlling it on my device.

View original

I'm not sure I understand how the bolded statement contradicts the "Devil's" argument.  Unless and until you do terminate early, you're using the carrier's network and are bound by the carrier's rules.

With the rate of phone turnover in the United States, it doesn't take very long for attrition of the older phones, and the percentage of legacy version devices gets very small.  As of this month, about 28% of total Android usage is made up of Eclair, Froyo and Gingerbread combined, with Eclair and Froyo each having somewhat less than 4% each.  About 55% of Android devices are on JB.  I got my Droid Razr in November, 2011.  It came with Gingerbread and very quickly updated to ICS (you can get fat just talking about Android versions).  wink

Here we are, about two years later, and only 20% of all phones are still on Gingerbread.  So both the number of active legacy systems, and the effort to support them, diminishes fairly quickly, I think, and that rate of decline will increase (again, MHO) as Google's efforts to defragment the Android ecosystem continue.

And most emphatically, all just my opinion...

Options

34 Posts

11-10-2013

United States

11 Signins

129 Page Views

• Message 19 of 33

2014-01-14, 15:22 PM

crystallet said:

MiloInSC said:

doogald said:

MiloInSC said:

View original

I'm not sure I understand how the bolded statement contradicts the "Devil's" argument.  Unless and until you do terminate early, you're using the carrier's network and are bound by the carrier's rules.

With the rate of phone turnover in the United States, it doesn't take very long for attrition of the older phones, and the percentage of legacy version devices gets very small.  As of this month, about 28% of total Android usage is made up of Eclair, Froyo and Gingerbread combined, with Eclair and Froyo each having somewhat less than 4% each.  About 55% of Android devices are on JB.  I got my Droid Razr in November, 2011.  It came with Gingerbread and very quickly updated to ICS (you can get fat just talking about Android versions).   wink

Here we are, about two years later, and only 20% of all phones are still on Gingerbread.  So both the number of active legacy systems, and the effort to support them, diminishes fairly quickly, I think, and that rate of decline will increase (again, MHO) as Google's efforts to defragment the Android ecosystem continue.

View original

My point was that you do own the phone, not Verizon, as the Devil's advocate implies with the house purchase analogy.

The phone "subsidy" is already built into the contract price behind the scenes. Here is one of several articles written on this subject:

http://www.datamation.com/mobile-wireless/why-the-mobile-phone-subsidy-is-a-myth-1.html

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Message 20 of 33

2014-01-14, 15:52 PM

MiloInSC said:

crystallet said:

MiloInSC said:

doogald said:

MiloInSC said:

View original

With the rate of phone turnover in the United States, it doesn't take very long for attrition of the older phones, and the percentage of legacy version devices gets very small.  As of this month, about 28% of total Android usage is made up of Eclair, Froyo and Gingerbread combined, with Eclair and Froyo each having somewhat less than 4% each.  About 55% of Android devices are on JB.  I got my Droid Razr in November, 2011.  It came with Gingerbread and very quickly updated to ICS (you can get fat just talking about Android versions).   wink

View original

My point was that you do own the phone, not Verizon, as the Devil's advocate implies with the house purchase analogy.

The phone "subsidy" is already built into the contract price behind the scenes. Here is one of several articles written on this subject:

http://www.datamation.com/mobile-wireless/why-the-mobile-phone-subsidy-is-a-myth-1.html

View original

Okay, I'll buy that.  But you're still using the carrier's network and contracting to use that network in line with the carrier's rules.

Don't get me wrong: I am not on the carrier's "side."  But from my point of view, having entered into the contract, we can either break the contract in accordance with it's terms, not enter into the contract in the first place, or abide by the terms of the contract while it's in effect.

Show me a carrier who respects my choices and who has the coverage I need, and I'll definitely consider switching.  

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms