Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID ULTRA & ULTRA MAXX
All Forum Topics
Options

15 Posts

03-13-2012

United States

16 Signins

460 Page Views

• Views: 460
  • Message 1 of 10

Built in Amazon App Pulled-Droid Maxx

2014-12-16, 20:16 PM

So the other day I read that due Amazon violating some of the T and C of the Play Store they had to pull the app. In its place they put in Amazon Shopping http://tcrn.ch/1yEqtkX 

My question is will the OG built in App(cannot be uninstalled only disabled), that will no longer receive updates unless one sideloads the APK directly from Amazon, will it still remain in future software updates? Or will this app be removed/updated with the "new" Amazon Shopping App?

Options

256 Posts

04-30-2012

United States

8 Signins

128 Page Views

• Views: 128
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: Built in Amazon App Pulled-Droid Maxx

2014-12-16, 21:30 PM
That is the one app that has always updated from it self and not from the play store. I thought all apps had to update from the play store. I remember Facebook taking some heat a while back for updating internally and bypassing the play store. I use the Amazon app store for faotd and books. I like me that you do not need to check unknown sources when installing from Amazon app store.
Options

11 Posts

02-24-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 3 of 10

2014-12-16, 21:54 PM

I came here to vent about the app too. Mine crashes - not while using it, just out of nowhere I get the error message popup that this app has stopped - multiple times a day. Got to love when the apps that are forced on us turn into junk - thanks VZW. Anyway, I'd like to know what our options are here. I've disabled the app and I hope that it stops the errors (and maybe the undiagnosed battery drain that I've had lately). Give me "special" access (don't want to get in trouble for discussing blacklisted topics) and I'll remove it ;) or give us an update to get this buggy thing off our phones. 

Is anyone else seeing this app crash? My problem is that I use Amazon Music, Prime Video, and some of the apps for the free app of the day so I'm not wanting to remove just because I can't, but because it is crashing. I understand the competition issues between Google and Amazon, but Verizon needs to see that locking us down with these apps can cause issues down the road. 

Ok, sorry, but I feel better. :)

Options

379 Posts

10-16-2011

United States of America

102 Signins

720 Page Views

• Views: 720
  • Message 4 of 10

2014-12-17, 1:21 AM

krazykev said:

Is anyone else seeing this app crash? 

View original

Yes, it kept crashing and I finally had enough and disabled the app. Right now the only amazon app I have on the phone that isn't disabled is the Kindle app and I barely use that as it is.

I can shop from a browser if I really need to do so from my phone.

Options

677 Posts

12-04-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2014-12-18, 8:05 AM
I don't have any problems with the Amazon app. It always updates from the play store with no problems. Nothing shady about it. Maybe you have auto update checked on in the play store and that's why it well, auto updates.
Options

130 Posts

10-19-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2014-12-18, 19:56 PM

What the original poster was asking was about the Amazon main app; not the Amazon App Store, Kindle, etc. apps (as those are all seperate). My guess is that in the next OTA update to the Droid 2013 phones, this apk will be remove and replaced with the new Amazon Shopping app, since these pre-installed apps come from Verizon mandated policies/agreements.

For more information on why the old app was abandoned and a new one create, please read Amazon Releases New Shopping App Because Its Old App Broke Google Play Policies.

Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

United States of America

2721 Signins

25630 Page Views

• Views: 25630
  • Message 7 of 10

2014-12-18, 20:06 PM

opt05 said:

What the original poster was asking was about the Amazon main app; not the Amazon App Store, Kindle, etc. apps (as those are all seperate). My guess is that in the next OTA update to the Droid 2013 phones, this apk will be remove and replaced with the new Amazon Shopping app, since these pre-installed apps come from Verizon mandated policies/agreements.

For more information on why the old app was abandoned and a new one create, please read Amazon Releases New Shopping App Because Its Old App Broke Google Play Policies.

View original

^+1^

I already disabled the original Amazon app and installed the new Amazon Shopping app from the Play Store.  Seems exactly the same, minus the ability to "buy" apps, only merchandise.  And I also would imagine that new phones will come pre-loaded with Amazon Shopping...in place of Amazon.

~Scott
Options

15 Posts

03-13-2012

United States

16 Signins

460 Page Views

• Views: 460
  • Message 8 of 10

2014-12-18, 20:30 PM

opt05 said:

View original

It was, thanks for getting it back on topic. I was thinking along the same route that it will just be replaced with the new shopping app in the Lollipop (cough cough**future**) update(s). Just was seeing if Matt or someone that would have a little insight would heads up/bring it to their attention since it is pretty recent news on the app pull.

Options

677 Posts

12-04-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2014-12-18, 21:35 PM
Yes, I know. I was also talking about the main Amazon app. Not the Amazon App Store.
Options

379 Posts

10-16-2011

United States of America

102 Signins

720 Page Views

• Views: 720
  • Message 10 of 10

2014-12-18, 21:48 PM

opt05 said:

What the original poster was asking was about the Amazon main app; not the Amazon App Store, Kindle, etc. apps (as those are all seperate). View original

Yep, and that's what I was responding about - I kept getting error messages from the Amazon app, and it was using a little bit of battery. I was never using it on my phone, so I disabled it, and ended up disabling the rest of the Amazon suite of apps - except for Kindle app, which I still use. It took getting crash messages for me to finally do something about it. I like Amazon services, but I don't want their app store, I don't want to watch Instant Video on my phone, I don't want to use their music app - so I just disabled it all. I get no more crashes, no more error messages.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms