Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
armyav8tor
What's DOS?
Views: 2,068
Message 11 of 21

Re: Camera App not working after 4.4.4 update

That's discouraging, and as soon as I read your post, the camera started acting up again.  LOL  What were the build dates of the 2 droid maxx's you had replaced?  Mine was one of the earlier ones, with an assembly date of 26 SEP 13.  

kkhanmd
What's DOS?
Message 12 of 21

no idea about the build dates since they no longer exists, my current replaced and working perfect Maxx build date is: Fri Oct 17. This reflects the update for HD voice. I factory wiped my device three times. One time redownloaded all apps, One time only google apps, one time didnot update a single app. Still same problem. In retrospect, I wished I had not spent so much of my time fixing the phone, instead with my family and on my hobbies!

armyav8tor
What's DOS?
Message 13 of 21

So, an update, when I read kkhanmd's post, I was right in the middle of installing BitTorrent Sync so I could backup the files on my phone.  One way of setting up a key for that program is to scan a QR Code with the camera.  The camera crashed the first time but actually worked the following times I started the camera.  This is a departure from trying to do the same with the Google Authenticator app which crashes when you try to set up with scanning a QR Code no matter how many times you restart the camera, in that case, it actually crashes the app.  Anyway, I had just finished setting up BitTorrent Sync before reading kkhanmd's post and immediately tried to start my camera with the twist gesture which would not initialize the camera at all.  Nothing but a black screen, tried it with Google Camera and Instagram, same thing.  So that was when I posted above to report that the camera was still busted.  Well, fast forward a few hours and a restart, I went back into the camera apps and it has not given me any problems since.  So, long story short, looks like it was just another piece of software that was causing the issues with the camera.  Like I said before, the camera seems awfully sensitive to software.  Seems like a pretty easy fix if the engineers actually put some effort into fixing it.  I think the issue might resolve itself when Lollipop comes out, which will use a new API that will allow apps greater access to the camera.  

RobbInBayView
What's DOS?
Message 14 of 21

I've got the same problem. Last several months camera either fails to start, "Camera error, Please restart camera" or camera starts then freezes. It worked briefly after disabling  OK Google Now but then stopped working again. Starting in safe mode made no improvement. Any other suggestions?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 15 of 21

RobbInBayView said:

I've got the same problem. Last several months camera either fails to start, "Camera error, Please restart camera" or camera starts then freezes. It worked briefly after disabling  OK Google Now but then stopped working again. Starting in safe mode made no improvement. Any other suggestions?

View original

Try tapping Settings>Apps>All>Camera>Uninstall updates. Now test to see if the problem is gone. Please post any updates here. Thanks. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

RobbInBayView
What's DOS?
Message 16 of 21

Did as instructed. No improvement, problem persists. Tried rebooting and the camera app automatically updated. Still doesn't work.

da1200
What's DOS?
Message 17 of 21

hi everyone

my droid ultra camera is not working at 4.4.4 . please help.

I flash again my droid ultra to 4.4.4 but not fixed camera. how to fix this problem?

MotoMaxxUser206
What's DOS?
Message 18 of 21

I am CERTAIN that this is a hardware issue (at least for a few people). I have also been receiving the same camera error for about 4 months now and have tried almost all software troubleshooting mentioned previously.

However, on a suspicion that the camera had somehow become disconnected mis-aligned with the motherboard, I tried *lightly* pressing on the camera and *voila* everything starts working again. My phone has only been dropped once from a height of about 2 feet. 

If any of you are still having camera issues, try opening the camera app (which should appear as blank screen, right before it errors) and try lightly pressing or tapping on the speaker/flash next to the camera itself (obviously don't press directly on the camera) and see if the image appears. I also tested this on a friend's droid maxx who was having same problem and it started working for him as well. Appears the issue is with weak connection between camera and motherboard.This isn't a permanent fix as you'll need to press/tap on it every now and then...but at least it can narrow down the cause for some people.

BAVARIAN_ALPS
What's DOS?
Message 19 of 21

I HAVE TROUBLESHOT THIS AND HAVE AN ANSWER. IT IS ABSOLUTELY ONE OF THE PRELOADED APPS INTERFERING. I TRIED ALL THE "FIXES" TO NO AVAIL THEN DID A FACTORY RESET and here is what happened: The camera worked. Now, upon the first time i turned on the WIFI it then updated several apps, after that update the camera would not load, black screen and said camera error, restart. Camera did not work.

I quickly looked at the 12 or so apps that just received an update and reversed all the updates and disabled as many as possible and the camera now works again. .works every time now.

zobidobi
What's DOS?
Views: 1,643
Message 20 of 21

Dear All, I have found the secret solution to Droid Maxx Back Camera problem. I have spent so much time and money to get this thing fixed but sadly the repair person sitting in the markets are not experts0

Its not I.C problem or Camera problem or require any software update. Its simple thing, I would post the solution here but then how would I know if I helped someone I don't need anything just looking for the feeling that you get from helping someone. Please get in touch with me and I will tell you.

I have spent so much time and money on this issue. Especially to travel from one part of city to other in the hopes of finding proper repairman but to no avail.