Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tony2go
What's DOS?
Views: 1,509
Message 11 of 33

Re: Can't send pictures via MMS

I've bought a new MOTO G , its updated to the latest KitKat 4.4 , and I'm having the same problem, fails to send and also shows as attempting to send two copies of the same MMS message. I'm UK based, using the inbuilt "messaging" App,  I've Data enabled, and selected the  MMS APN. Seems to be a common problem.    

Rider67
Blue Screen Again
Message 12 of 33

I'm having the same problem.  It started a couple of weeks ago.  The Messaging app just shuts down with the error message "sorry, Messaging has stopped."  I did all the fixes I found online, and all was well until yesterday.  Now it stops EVERY time I try to send an MMS.  Nothing is going out, and I can't tell if anything is coming in.  I've done a hard reset.  I've deleted the cache on every app including Messaging.  I installed another messaging app, which did nothing but conflict with Messaging, so I deleted it.  I haven't tried from safe mode.  My plan is to uninstall updates to Messenger and see what happens.  I've already lost all my saved SMS messages, so I don't have to be especially careful.  I just downloaded and installed Verizon Message+ and still can't send an MMS.  Same pic taken with the same phone.  Any other suggestions would be welcome at this point.  

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 13 of 33

Rider65 said:

I'm having the same problem.  It started a couple of weeks ago.  The Messaging app just shuts down with the error message "sorry, Messaging has stopped."  I did all the fixes I found online, and all was well until yesterday.  Now it stops EVERY time I try to send an MMS.  Nothing is going out, and I can't tell if anything is coming in.  I've done a hard reset.  I've deleted the cache on every app including Messaging.  I installed another messaging app, which did nothing but conflict with Messaging, so I deleted it.  I haven't tried from safe mode.  My plan is to uninstall updates to Messenger and see what happens.  I've already lost all my saved SMS messages, so I don't have to be especially careful.  I just downloaded and installed Verizon Message+ and still can't send an MMS.  Same pic taken with the same phone.  Any other suggestions would be welcome at this point.  

View original

If you would tell us which fixes you have already tried, then we can skip those in our problem-solving process Smiley Happy

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Rider67
Blue Screen Again
Message 14 of 33

Eaccents, let me first update my question.  After I posted here yesterday, I called first Verizon tech support (no help there as the problem was not account-related, but I had to rule out issues with data transfer), then Motorola tech support, which was excellent.  Three hours and much discussion and trial-and-error later, I'd done a factory reset and all was well.  The problem is now resolved...one can only hope.  The tech left the ticket open in case it recurs, in which case I'm up for a new phone.  I've reinstalled most of my files and apps but didn't install anything that I thought might cause a problem (or that I hadn't really been using so was just taking up space and sucking processing power).

What I tried first:

Dumping ALL cache from all apps, resizing photos, and experimenting only with photos that had successfully transmitted in the past.

Restarting the phone

Deleting most photos and files and recently-added 3rd-party apps and changing settings so the apps weren't constantly running in the background.  Toolbox is very helpful in this regard.  

Restarting the phone

Restarting the phone in safe mode which proved it wasn't the Messaging app that was at fault as it sent and received fine at that point.  

Removing more 3rd-party apps and doing a full cleanup using Toolbox

Checking data usage (haven't even touched my data as I use mostly wifi), turned wifi on and off and tried both ways, checked storage (still had nearly 2g of internal space), disabled everything that I thought could interfere.

Did a system restore

Finally opted for the total factory reset, which, as I said, was the cure...so far.  What I didn't do was remove the updates to Messaging or roll back KitKat from 4.4.4.  

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 15 of 33

Rider65 said:

Eaccents, let me first update my question.  After I posted here yesterday, I called first Verizon tech support (no help there as the problem was not account-related, but I had to rule out issues with data transfer), then Motorola tech support, which was excellent.  Three hours and much discussion and trial-and-error later, I'd done a factory reset and all was well.  The problem is now resolved...one can only hope.  The tech left the ticket open in case it recurs, in which case I'm up for a new phone.  I've reinstalled most of my files and apps but didn't install anything that I thought might cause a problem (or that I hadn't really been using so was just taking up space and sucking processing power).

What I tried first:

Dumping ALL cache from all apps, resizing photos, and experimenting only with photos that had successfully transmitted in the past.

Restarting the phone

Deleting most photos and files and recently-added 3rd-party apps and changing settings so the apps weren't constantly running in the background.  Toolbox is very helpful in this regard.  

Restarting the phone

Restarting the phone in safe mode which proved it wasn't the Messaging app that was at fault as it sent and received fine at that point.  

Removing more 3rd-party apps and doing a full cleanup using Toolbox

Checking data usage (haven't even touched my data as I use mostly wifi), turned wifi on and off and tried both ways, checked storage (still had nearly 2g of internal space), disabled everything that I thought could interfere.

Did a system restore

Finally opted for the total factory reset, which, as I said, was the cure...so far.  What I didn't do was remove the updates to Messaging or roll back KitKat from 4.4.4.  

View original

Not sure what a system restore is, but glad you got it resolved! Smiley Happy

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Rider67
Blue Screen Again
Message 16 of 33

eaccents, sorry for the delay.  I replied to your comment using my phone, which, obviously, didn't connect.  LOL  No, not another issue with the phone.  

The factory restore can be done the same way the factory reset is done, but not from the settings page.  If you hold the up/down volume buttons and power button on the Ultra at the same time, then release the power button, a black screen appears with a short menu of options.  Restore and system reset are two of the options.  Be careful!  The down volume button scrolls, but the up button selects, so it's easy to accidentally select the wrong option.  A little counter-intuitive if you ask me, but no one asked, so....

In any case, select restore, and the phone is set back into the most recent functional state.  I didn't find this on my own.  Tech support walked me through it.  If the restore doesn't do the trick, then repeat the process and do the whole reset.  Granted, it's annoying to have to recover everything from you cloud backup (assuming you are a good little Do-Bee and back up automatically) and Playstore, but as a final option, it is certainly effective.  I've had no further issues since I did that.  I also didn't find it necessary to restore ALL of my many apps and photos and what-have-you, so a cleanout was probably a good idea.

hoojtoons
What's DOS?
Message 17 of 33

I can not send or receive pictures in any text messaging app on my moto x 2014, message +, hangouts, or the native app. I have tried everything but the factory reset. This just started a few weeks ago.
Rider67
Blue Screen Again
Message 18 of 33

My best solution has been to install the All-in-one Toolbox app and clean the phone regularly during the day. The app does a great job of clearing the cache, and it also really closes all of the background apps I didn't know were running. I've had no problem with MMS through Hangouts since I started doing this. There are still size limits for the file.
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 19 of 33

Rider65 said:

My best solution has been to install the All-in-one Toolbox app and clean the phone regularly during the day. The app does a great job of clearing the cache, and it also really closes all of the background apps I didn't know were running. I've had no problem with MMS through Hangouts since I started doing this. There are still size limits for the file.View original

With you saying this, can you start the phone in Safe mode to see if you can send a pic that way? If you can and it works as it should then you have a 3rd party app that is causing you these problems. Click for instruction for Safe mode.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Rider67
Blue Screen Again
Message 20 of 33

joelbon, thanks for the reply, but I've solved the problem.  If you check the first page of comments, there's a description off all the things I tried, including the safe mode check, restore, and full factory reset, before I discovered the app mentioned above.  I really needed to get my CPU strain down to a minimum and switch back to Hangouts to fix it.  I've had no further problems whether I send photos from my phone's memory or taken directly into Hangouts.  I highly recommend the app.