Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drusafa
Token Ring
Views: 1,517
Message 1 of 3

Dalvik cache

So one of the updates a while back made clearing the dalvik cache in the recovery boot menu take an incredibly long time. I know this was discussed at one time, but no real explanation was ever given. Does anyone know if the Moto X 1st gen suffers from this as well? I was just curious if this could be one of the reasons Motorola has decided not to upgrade the Droid Maxx. Has anyone ever found a fix for the time delay clearing the dalvik cache? I have had many devices from many manufactures and have never seen it take so long to clear the cache, it is usually done in seconds. I would love to hear from a Motorola Technician who understands what caused the phone to begin taking so long to clear the cache after said update. Thanks.

doogald
802.11n
Message 2 of 3

Re: Dalvik cache

Just to be clear, though it's confusing, the cache partition is not Dalvik cache. Dalvik cache is stored in the /data partition. The cache partition stores things like log files, temp files for the system apps, and system update files, until they are applied.

I don't know why this happens, but my guess is that rather than doing a simple format of the cache partition, Motorola started crawling the file system to delete file by file - perhaps they are being secure wiped or something. I'm not sure.

If I remember correctly, the Turbo on KitKat and Lollipop had the same behavior, but the Turbo 2 on Lollipop now does an instant wipe. See here for reference on the Turbo taking 7-10 minutes to wipe the cache partition: http://androidforums.com/threads/droid-turbo-reference-and-tips.879102/#post-6797620

The 2013 Moto X also had the same behavior when it was updated to 4.4.4 (see https://forums.motorola.com/posts/db89ab1a65) and it was updated to Lollipop, so I'd say that has nothing to do with this decision. It's probably more that Motorola just doesn't have the resources to work on the update and would rather work on M updates for newer phones (unlocked 2014 Moto X, Moto G models, Turbo, Turbo 2, Maxx 2, as well as security updates to the platforms that are already on M.)

Drusafa
Token Ring
Message 3 of 3

Re: Dalvik cache

Great answer! I always wondered about that. Thanks.