Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Len_A
What's DOS?
Views: 3,791
Message 1 of 265

Droid MAXX - No MicroSD card slot

No MicroSD card slot? Very disappointing and a none starter for me if it's true. Sorry, but 32 GB isn't enough.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 265

Re: Droid MAXX - No MicroSD card slot

I'm sure there are others whose use cases require more onboard storage.  As another forum member said, even a wireless storage device is just something else to lose or forget.

For others, 32GB will be just enough or more than enough.

You need to have the device that works the way you need it to. cool

Len_A
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 265

I've got a Droid Razr, with a 64 GB microSD in it with my music, books & movies. I want to upgrade next month. Looks like it will be a Razr Maxx HD for me. Would love the Droid Maxx, but no microSD card slot, no sale for me. Very disappointmented.

Skeeterrock
802.11n
Message 4 of 265

I was trying to make logic of no SD Card and I am thinking that because it may be waterproof. If this is true then I understand why no slot was provided. Well kind of but maybe not. 32GB is enough for me and I don't store a lot of files on my phone. Maybe Moto might release a 64GB version.
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 5 of 265

A while back I remember a quote from some bigshot at Google.  He said that the goal was to put everything in one place, and eliminate SD cards altogether. 

As long as we can back up the data stored internally, and as long as something bigger than 64GB is available, it just might work.  But, considering the amount of space taken up the OS and other necessary files, a 64GB version wouldn't be big enough for people like the OP who carry around a lot of big files.

One thing I've learned in this forum is that we don't all use our phones the same way.  For some it's the primary communication, business, and entertainment device, and for others, it's a peripheral.

Actually, although I'm excited about this round of phones, it's the next round of phones beyond the X that I'm really looking forward to.  smiley

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 265

skeeterrock said:

I was trying to make logic of no SD Card and I am thinking that because it may be waterproof. If this is true then I understand why no slot was provided. Well kind of but maybe not. 32GB is enough for me and I don't store a lot of files on my phone. Maybe Moto might release a 64GB version.View original

I don't have much need of more storage [I've never understood why 20,000 songs, 10,000 pics, 200 books, etc need to be carried around....but that's just me Smiley Happy ] but I like to think that Android is about choices and for those that want to carry their entire library of [whatever] around on their device, then they should be able to do so.

Cloud storage is great--I make use of it quite a bit--but it's out of reach when wifi and/or cellular service isn't an option [like when cheap people like me go overseas for a few weeks and won't buy local SIM cards Smiley Wink ]

Waterproof is cool, but personally I'd prefer to have removeable storage instead....[sorry if I'm inflaming those who intend to swim or shower with their devices Smiley Wink ]

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Skeeterrock
802.11n
Message 7 of 265

@eaccents

Humm, you just triggered a thought process for file management. Moto can compress folders on cell phones and provide an solution for accessing and compressing folders when in use. This could balloon the amount of files on a phone for storage. Basically sort of zipping and unzipping data on the fly when accessed. Hurry the patent office before apple gets this.

When it comes to waterproof I think that is a must. Bathroom/cell phones and knuckleheads dropping phones are crazy. I leave it at that.
Len_A
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 265

I'm one of those people who carry aruond a lot of music, video and books. I'm going to end up either with the Razr Maxx HD, or a Samsung. I'm probably in that segment of the market that Apple is aiming at with a 128GB iPhone. Seriously, if I was so invested in several apps that are actually better on Android than they are on iOs, I seriously would go the Dark Side route, err, I mean iPhone. My Droid Razrs poor performance has really soured me on the Motorola product, but I'm willing to give them another chance becasue they're so ruggedly built. Droid Maxx looks so good, but no way can I live with just 32GB. No way, no how. Hell, my wife has a Droid Razr, with 16GB internal memory and a 16GB microsd card, and she's running out of room for apps!

Skeeterrock
802.11n
Message 9 of 265

Totally understand. Have you ever tried the Andro File Zip Manager on the playstore? Maybe this may help some with the space. Let me know as I am curious.
Len_A
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 265

Tried it but it's not a solution - who wants to unzip movies just to watch them? No, I need actual GB of space - a colleague has a Samsung phone with 32GB built in and native support for reading up to a 64 GB microSD card, which he has. That's more like it, but I like the rugged construction of Motorola's Droid phones. So my quandary is between space and durability. Shouldn't have to make that choice, and now I'm not only disappointed by Motorola, I'm downright irritated by them. To me, what features and benefits they gave with the left hand, they took something away with the right hand.