Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Teknologist
What's DOS?
Views: 469
Message 21 of 265

Re: Droid MAXX - No MicroSD card slot

Considering this phone hasn't hit the markey yet I'm sure they are watching these forums closely to see the feedback.

I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out how I would compromise and make 32 GB's of storage work. Zipping files is not an option. Music and videos that are already in a compressed format don't compress well anyway.  As it is I only keep a small subset of my picture collection. I have around 20,000 images currently and I only keep about 2,000 to 3,000 of them on my phone. Yeah, I can reduce this further but this is not the big space consumer. Movies take up a lot of space. I keep a few movies that I might want to watch handly and the rest is recorded by me or family.I use my phone primarily for work and have tons of work related documents that I need to keep accessible.   

I'll give myself the weekend to decide if I can do it. I can't believe I have to even consider this.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 22 of 265

Teknologist said:

Considering this phone hasn't hit the markey yet I'm sure they are watching these forums closely to see the feedback.

I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out how I would compromise and make 32 GB's of storage work. Zipping files is not an option. Music and videos that are already in a compressed format don't compress well anyway.  As it is I only keep a small subset of my picture collection. I have around 20,000 images currently and I only keep about 2,000 to 3,000 of them on my phone. Yeah, I can reduce this further but this is not the big space consumer. Movies take up a lot of space. I keep a few movies that I might want to watch handly and the rest is recorded by me or family.I use my phone primarily for work and have tons of work related documents that I need to keep accessible.   

I'll give myself the weekend to decide if I can do it. I can't believe I have to even consider this.

View original

What did you do before 32gb SD cards? I am trying to understand the use case that would require tha much to be on a phone - 3000 pictures? I get bored looking at more then 20, not to mention finding something in more then 200 pictures.  Movies should not take up more then 1gb each, I travel for work and never carry more then a few movies on my phone.  Work docs should not take up that much space. My 64gb card is only half full and i am ok. I even had a Lumia 920 for work for a while, and I did find without extra storage. It is easy if forced to do it. 

But if 32gb is not enough, then a different phone is your only option. I prefer to keep most of that stuff backed up off of my phone, and carry only what I need. If i need something else it is only a VPN or cloud hop away. 

Would like more storage, sure. But if you look at the market, Nexus phones, Apple phones, and many others have already gotten rid of lots of internal storage. In some ways it is good - to many users are mad when their phone or SD card fails and they have no backups. At least this forces the issue - backup your data. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Administrator
Administrator
Message 23 of 265

I used to feel the same way, but there have been enough advances in technology that I really don't feel this is a big problem

• My photos are automatically backed up to Facebook and Google+. This is by far the largest use of space for me -- I take a lot of pictures and videos. So I can just delete photos (or transfer them to my PC if I want to be really anal).

• Play Music is extremely smooth for me and gives me access to my entire music library. If I know I'm going to be out of wireless range I can easily pin music to my phone. And I do keep a healthy library of music on the device; enough to keep me happy for many hours without straining my storage.

I am not an extreme user of apps. I prefer to get rid of apps I don't use regularly. I probably load only 40 or 50 at any given time. That is probably low for some but I bet I'm in the top quartile. I almost never play games on my phones so that may also make this easier for me. 

While it's true that I switch phones fairly often and use more than one most of the time, I do use my phones a whole hecuva lot. As I said, I take many, many pictures. I can only remember filling up my available memory once. I've never owned an SD card larger than 16 GB.

So, if I happen to get a 'storage full" warning once in awhile, I have many options for uploading and deleting content. I intend to put together my personal tips and suggestions for dealing with this and post it when the new phones launch. I'll be asking for your favorite solutions too.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Teknologist
What's DOS?
Message 24 of 265

I got distracted when writing the previous post so I forgot to mention my music, which takes up at least 30Gb's. Can I reduce how much I carry around? Yes, but it's difficult, as it is my Main music collection is approaching 200 GB's (Just the MP3's, I have probably 50 TB's worth of Audio in Multitrack and Wav format) (PS I have NEVER downloaded illegally.) The music is obviously not needed for my day to day work. However when I am not doing IT work I am an Audio Engineer. A large portion of the music is music that I have either worked on, will work on or someone I know worked on.

I do have a few games loaded that I don't play all the time, they take up quite a bit of space. some of them are multi Gb's.

Obvously once I get past the limitations imposed here I am sure I can shrink my storage usage, but I think everyones point is that we shouldn't have to. For instance, my last vacation, a cruise with my wife, I used up 15 to 20 Gb's of space. Mostly with videos. But the beauty was I had lots of space available and I was never worried about running out of space and then having to decide what to delete. Uploading to the cloud was not really an option while on the cruise...

Administrator
Administrator
Message 25 of 265

Looking through some of the comments here, I want to add a couple of points. 

Obviously I'd love it if everyone chose a Motorola phone. But I know that one size does not fit all. We hope to win folks over by delivering a really compelling total package with some unique and powerful features. Any decisions made that don't meet individual expectations or needs are not personal. 

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 26 of 265

Matt (Forums Manager) said:

I used to feel the same way, but there have been enough advances in technology that I really don't feel this is a big problem

• My photos are automatically backed up to Facebook and Google+. This is by far the largest use of space for me -- I take a lot of pictures and videos. So I can just delete photos (or transfer them to my PC if I want to be really anal).

• Play Music is extremely smooth for me and gives me access to my entire music library. If I know I'm going to be out of wireless range I can easily pin music to my phone. And I do keep a healthy library of music on the device; enough to keep me happy for many hours without straining my storage.

I am not an extreme user of apps. I prefer to get rid of apps I don't use regularly. I probably load only 40 or 50 at any given time. That is probably low for some but I bet I'm in the top quartile. I almost never play games on my phones so that may also make this easier for me. 

While it's true that I switch phones fairly often and use more than one most of the time, I do use my phones a whole hecuva lot. As I said, I take many, many pictures. I can only remember filling up my available memory once. I've never owned an SD card larger than 16 GB.

So, if I happen to get a 'storage full" warning once in awhile, I have many options for uploading and deleting content. I intend to put together my personal tips and suggestions for dealing with this and post it when the new phones launch. I'll be asking for your favorite solutions too.

View original

Thanks, Matt, for chiming in Smiley Happy

I use my device(s) in pretty much the same manner.  

1. I only keep the apps that I am actively using on the device.  Other apps will be downloaded and removed as needed.  This keeps the device more streamlined and less cluttered, and I believe that this is why I have rarely had issues with any of my devices.

2. I started to store pics in the cloud after watching the emotional devastation of the victims of the 2011 Midwest tornados.  Hopefully people are insured for the loss of their homes and other property, but pictures that depict the special people and special moments in our lives can be lost forever....so, for purposes of duplication and storage efficiency, I use the Google+ auto-upload feature on all my devices.

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Teknologist
What's DOS?
Message 27 of 265

View original

I do NOT trust Facebook with my pictures. I still have never posted a single picture of myself or my family members. My wife has requested this and I have to respect her wishes. I do use Google + to back them up, but rarely post any of them and none that I post are with family in them. I also periodically transfer them to my Media server at home where we all have access to them. This has redundant storage and continuous backups to an external redundant drive. I keep a second copy of all my images at work, Videos however are a differenct story too much space!

I don't use Google Play for music. I use high quality playback apps such as Poweramp. My library is local to my device only.

I will be thinking about these "Compromise storage" options to decide if I can use this phone. I really like this phone but for this one major issue. I know some of my co-workers would have no problems with the 32 GB's limitation. One of my sons has only 32 Gb's of storage and he is fine with it, but my older son has 64 Gb's and he says He can't or won't do without.

Highlighted
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 28 of 265

Teknologist said:

I got distracted when writing the previous post so I forgot to mention my music, which takes up at least 30Gb's. Can I reduce how much I carry around? Yes, but it's difficult, as it is my Main music collection is approaching 200 GB's (Just the MP3's, I have probably 50 TB's worth of Audio in Multitrack and Wav format) (PS I have NEVER downloaded illegally.) The music is obviously not needed for my day to day work. However when I am not doing IT work I am an Audio Engineer. A large portion of the music is music that I have either worked on, will work on or someone I know worked on.

I do have a few games loaded that I don't play all the time, they take up quite a bit of space. some of them are multi Gb's.

Obvously once I get past the limitations imposed here I am sure I can shrink my storage usage, but I think everyones point is that we shouldn't have to. For instance, my last vacation, a cruise with my wife, I used up 15 to 20 Gb's of space. Mostly with videos. But the beauty was I had lots of space available and I was never worried about running out of space and then having to decide what to delete. Uploading to the cloud was not really an option while on the cruise...

View original

I hear you.  Data on cruises is expensive and painfully slooooooowwwwww!

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Teknologist
What's DOS?
Message 29 of 265

Obviously I'd love it if everyone chose a Motorola phone. But I know that one size does not fit all. We hope to win folks over by delivering a really compelling total package with some unique and powerful features. Any decisions made that don't meet individual expectations or needs are not personal. 

View original

I'm not taking it personally, but it is dissapointing. I couldn't even imagine that Motorola would NOT include adding extra storage. I was ready to place my order for two of these without even seeing them in person, like I did with the RAZR and RAZR MAXX HD.

I wouldn't buy a tablet that didn't have the option and the jury is still out on whether or not I can use this one. It's one of the reasons I would never buy an Apple device. (that and my undying dislike for anything apple!)

Len_A
What's DOS?
Message 30 of 265

View original

That's fine, but someone in product development will hopefully pay attention, and not alienate this segment of the market. It may not be personal, but as a loyal Motorola customer I do feel alienated.