cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
dirtdawg57
What's DOS?
Posts: 43
Registered: ‎10-22-2012
Location: United States
Views: 456
Message 31 of 265

Re: Droid MAXX - No MicroSD card slot


I am extremely angry about the way this phone was handled, but I will try to stay calm. I will also say that the Bionic is the best electronic I have ever bought and I never wanted to leave moto.



But what I need to know is this google putting an official end to the sd slot on moto devices? I wanted a moto device really bad and would even be willing to wait for a while if one with and sd slot was comming in the future. But if it is the end I need to start deciding what brand I am going to. Googles idea of cloud storage in no way works until data prices come down. 



I realize there are a big crowd of people that use their phones for basic call, text, pictures, sometimes email or angry birds. Probably most of them are on iphones and moto wants a chunk of their pie. But I think a lot of the people on android are there because they want something more than apple is willing to offer. For me my bionic is my pc/phone/laptop/media station/gaming console. I need affordable ample space.



I realize the modern marketing isn't about the customer anymore, its about the money, but way can't google/moto just give the people what they want? I think the moto X is a great idea for the more simple phone users and even some low end extreme users. Its a lower price device that gives great expirience(I assume). But why not market the Maxx to the people that want a full media station and are willing to pay a little more. They people that really use there phones want more options, not less. I could deal with a few extra mm of thickness to have a SD slot and hdmi input. We want the top processer and a large amount of Ram. I think a lot would like some sort of lapdock offering, maybe even and advance lapdock with dvd drive and touch screen. Give it a good amount of internal storage too. With moto's build quality I can't imagine a phone like that not doing good. And everyone goes home happy. I don't think I am asking that much to offer 2 levels of phone.

Len_A
What's DOS?
Posts: 36
Registered: ‎07-24-2013
Location: United States
Views: 456
Message 32 of 265

Re: Droid MAXX - No MicroSD card slot



Teknologist said:



Matt (Forums Manager) said:


Looking through some of the comments here, I want to add a couple of points. 



Obviously I'd love it if everyone chose a Motorola phone. But I know that one size does not fit all. We hope to win folks over by delivering a really compelling total package with some unique and powerful features. Any decisions made that don't meet individual expectations or needs are not personal. 


View original


 I'm not taking it personally, but it is dissapointing. I couldn't even imagine that Motorola would NOT include adding extra storage. I was ready to place my order for two of these without even seeing them in person, like I did with the RAZR and RAZR MAXX HD.



I wouldn't buy a tablet that didn't have the option and the jury is still out on whether or not I can use this one. It's one of the reasons I would never buy an Apple device. (that and my undying dislike for anything apple!)


View original




I'm in 100% agreement with you. I can not even fathom why they went this route. As a result, I may end up with a Samsung, or even more go over to the Dark Side, and get an iPhone. If I had the equivalents of aCar and LoseIt, my two very favorite apps, I'd look at a Windows phone.

Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 17,467
Registered: ‎02-03-2016
Location: US
Views: 456
Message 33 of 265

Re: Droid MAXX - No MicroSD card slot



Teknologist said:



Matt (Forums Manager) said:


I used to feel the same way, but there have been enough advances in technology that I really don't feel this is a big problem




  • My photos are automatically backed up to Facebook and Google+. This is by far the largest use of space for me -- I take a lot of pictures and videos. So I can just delete photos (or transfer them to my PC if I want to be really anal).


  • Play Music is extremely smooth for me and gives me access to my entire music library. If I know I'm going to be out of wireless range I can easily pin music to my phone. And I do keep a healthy library of music on the device; enough to keep me happy for many hours without straining my storage.



I am not an extreme user of apps. I prefer to get rid of apps I don't use regularly. I probably load only 40 or 50 at any given time. That is probably low for some but I bet I'm in the top quartile. I almost never play games on my phones so that may also make this easier for me. 



While it's true that I switch phones fairly often and use more than one most of the time, I do use my phones a whole hecuva lot. As I said, I take many, many pictures. I can only remember filling up my available memory once. I've never owned an SD card larger than 16 GB.



So, if I happen to get a 'storage full" warning once in awhile, I have many options for uploading and deleting content. I intend to put together my personal tips and suggestions for dealing with this and post it when the new phones launch. I'll be asking for your favorite solutions too.


View original


I do NOT trust Facebook with my pictures. I still have never posted a single picture of myself or my family members. My wife has requested this and I have to respect her wishes. I do use Google + to back them up, but rarely post any of them and none that I post are with family in them. I also periodically transfer them to my Media server at home where we all have access to them. This has redundant storage and continuous backups to an external redundant drive. I keep a second copy of all my images at work, Videos however are a differenct story too much space!



I don't use Google Play for music. I use high quality playback apps such as Poweramp. My library is local to my device only.



I will be thinking about these "Compromise storage" options to decide if I can use this phone. I really like this phone but for this one major issue. I know some of my co-workers would have no problems with the 32 GB's limitation. One of my sons has only 32 Gb's of storage and he is fine with it, but my older son has 64 Gb's and he says He can't or won't do without.


View original


I should have included the point that photos auto-backed-up to FB or Google+ are private there until you share them. I respect anyone's desire to stay off certain sites. I was only illustrating that there were two readily available. There are many other options to do the same thing. Dropbox has an app for photos but I don't think it runs in the background like the FB and Google+ options. You have to trigger it.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Len_A
What's DOS?
Posts: 36
Registered: ‎07-24-2013
Location: United States
Views: 456
Message 34 of 265

Re: Droid MAXX - No MicroSD card slot



dirtdawg57 said:


I am extremely angry about the way this phone was handled, but I will try to stay calm. I will also say that the Bionic is the best electronic I have ever bought and I never wanted to leave moto.



But what I need to know is this google putting an official end to the sd slot on moto devices? I wanted a moto device really bad and would even be willing to wait for a while if one with and sd slot was comming in the future. But if it is the end I need to start deciding what brand I am going to. Googles idea of cloud storage in no way works until data prices come down. 



I realize there are a big crowd of people that use their phones for basic call, text, pictures, sometimes email or angry birds. Probably most of them are on iphones and moto wants a chunk of their pie. But I think a lot of the people on android are there because they want something more than apple is willing to offer. For me my bionic is my pc/phone/laptop/media station/gaming console. I need affordable ample space.



I realize the modern marketing isn't about the customer anymore, its about the money, but way can't google/moto just give the people what they want? I think the moto X is a great idea for the more simple phone users and even some low end extreme users. Its a lower price device that gives great expirience(I assume). But why not market the Maxx to the people that want a full media station and are willing to pay a little more. They people that really use there phones want more options, not less. I could deal with a few extra mm of thickness to have a SD slot and hdmi input. We want the top processer and a large amount of Ram. I think a lot would like some sort of lapdock offering, maybe even and advance lapdock with dvd drive and touch screen. Give it a good amount of internal storage too. With moto's build quality I can't imagine a phone like that not doing good. And everyone goes home happy. I don't think I am asking that much to offer 2 levels of phone.


View original




Well said. I couldn't agree with you more. Google had better be listening.

Len_A
What's DOS?
Posts: 36
Registered: ‎07-24-2013
Location: United States
Views: 456
Message 35 of 265

Re: Droid MAXX - No MicroSD card slot



Matt (Forums Manager) said:



Teknologist said:



Matt (Forums Manager) said:


I used to feel the same way, but there have been enough advances in technology that I really don't feel this is a big problem




  • My photos are automatically backed up to Facebook and Google+. This is by far the largest use of space for me -- I take a lot of pictures and videos. So I can just delete photos (or transfer them to my PC if I want to be really anal).


  • Play Music is extremely smooth for me and gives me access to my entire music library. If I know I'm going to be out of wireless range I can easily pin music to my phone. And I do keep a healthy library of music on the device; enough to keep me happy for many hours without straining my storage.



I am not an extreme user of apps. I prefer to get rid of apps I don't use regularly. I probably load only 40 or 50 at any given time. That is probably low for some but I bet I'm in the top quartile. I almost never play games on my phones so that may also make this easier for me. 



While it's true that I switch phones fairly often and use more than one most of the time, I do use my phones a whole hecuva lot. As I said, I take many, many pictures. I can only remember filling up my available memory once. I've never owned an SD card larger than 16 GB.



So, if I happen to get a 'storage full" warning once in awhile, I have many options for uploading and deleting content. I intend to put together my personal tips and suggestions for dealing with this and post it when the new phones launch. I'll be asking for your favorite solutions too.


View original


I do NOT trust Facebook with my pictures. I still have never posted a single picture of myself or my family members. My wife has requested this and I have to respect her wishes. I do use Google + to back them up, but rarely post any of them and none that I post are with family in them. I also periodically transfer them to my Media server at home where we all have access to them. This has redundant storage and continuous backups to an external redundant drive. I keep a second copy of all my images at work, Videos however are a differenct story too much space!



I don't use Google Play for music. I use high quality playback apps such as Poweramp. My library is local to my device only.



I will be thinking about these "Compromise storage" options to decide if I can use this phone. I really like this phone but for this one major issue. I know some of my co-workers would have no problems with the 32 GB's limitation. One of my sons has only 32 Gb's of storage and he is fine with it, but my older son has 64 Gb's and he says He can't or won't do without.


View original


I should have included the point that photos auto-backed-up to FB or Google+ are private there until you share them. I respect anyone's desire to stay off certain sites. I was only illustrating that there were two readily available. There are many other options to do the same thing. Dropbox has an app for photos but I don't think it runs in the background like the FB and Google+ options. You have to trigger it.


View original




Does not help the fact that I want to carry around a lot of music and videos, some of those videos work related. The alternative is to carry a portable media player again, separate from my phone. An iPod Touch again. Let me be as polite and calm about this as I can be: No Freaking Way, ever, Period. Whole reason to get a smartphone was to do away with carrying two devices.



 



I'm going to say this AGAIN. As a loyal Motorola customer, I feel seriously alienated, and am seriously pissed off at Motorola. I don't care what the reasons for doing this are. It's still a big disappointment, and nor I have to reevaluate my next phone purchase, which is going to be in about three to four weeks. I may end up with Samsung, and sorry to burst Verizon's bubble, but I'll be buying it from Best Buy. At least with their extended warranty, I'll get a brand new phone, and get it done in a Best Buy store, and not wait an entire weekend for a reconditioned POS Droid Razr to replace the brand spanking new one that bricked itself.

Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 17,467
Registered: ‎02-03-2016
Location: US
Views: 456
Message 36 of 265

Re: Droid MAXX - No MicroSD card slot


I hear you guys, and I'll pass on your feedback. Sorry that you won't be on board with us, but you've made your reasons very clear.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Skeeterrock
802.11n
Posts: 951
Registered: ‎12-11-2011
Location: US
Views: 456
Message 37 of 265

Re: Droid MAXX - No MicroSD card slot


eaccents said:



Len_A said:



They're reading these posts. Let 'em respond.


View original


There is a huge ratio of users to Motorola staff in these forums--the Moto staffers would have to be super-human to be able to read every comment....


View original


 


I guess Matts is SUPER HUMAN!  Nice


___________________________________________________________________________


I don't use my phone heavy for MP3 and I try to keep things on my PC, but this does show that their is a market that Moto can get into to help assist limited storage space issues. Not sure if it has been done or can be done but a USB stick that can be carried in your pocket to pull files or media off of is a thought. Basically sort of like it is always in SYNC only with a specific device. Like getting in the car and putting your Key Remote in your car and just hitting the Start Button to crank the car.


I think the biggest issue is giving the cell phones an ability that the end user needs (Extra Space) and then forcing the consumer to different methods that aren't a normal practice to retain info that went over the space cap. Once you make that jump and you have a lot of movies, videos,music etc it is hard to go back (If I spent thousands of dollars on media then yea I need my space.). Change is good and the CLOUD is great but it isn't the answer.  


Even though you think Moto might not respond, I will give the Company credit, they do use these forms and everyones feedback seems to be taken seriously. No matter how big or small it maybe it is heard. I am just speaking from the past 2 years experience on reading and learning about Smart Phones. No Doubt the Smart Phone is the New Wallet and future for all end users needs this just goes to show you that it is greatly also becoming the next PC on the go. 


 

dirtdawg57
What's DOS?
Posts: 43
Registered: ‎10-22-2012
Location: United States
Views: 456
Message 38 of 265

Re: Droid MAXX - No MicroSD card slot

I do appreciate your response to us Matt. I realize that you are in a difficult position of trying to keep us happy. It is frustration out of the fact that I want to stay with moto really to bad because I loved the Bionic. But can't help but feel kicked to the curb. Here is the thing, if Google keeps forcing the brands to dumb down all their phone models to the iPhone level they are probably going to lose because apple has been doing the simple phone longer. Let's face it, we android uses miss out on a lot of 3rd party compatibility, accessories, and some great apps by not having an apple product. A big reason we stay is for features like removable sd cards, bigger screens, less lock down. If they take away our reasons to stay, we might not. At least give us a model of phone that fits our needs and we we will be singing motos praises on this board like I would like to be.
Teknologist
What's DOS?
Posts: 71
Registered: ‎10-27-2012
Location: United States
Views: 456
Message 39 of 265

Re: Droid MAXX - No MicroSD card slot



dirtdawg57 said:

I do appreciate your response to us Matt. I realize that you are in a difficult position of trying to keep us happy. It is frustration out of the fact that I want to stay with moto really to bad because I loved the Bionic. But can't help but feel kicked to the curb. Here is the thing, if Google keeps forcing the brands to dumb down all their phone models to the iPhone level they are probably going to lose because apple has been doing the simple phone longer. Let's face it, we android uses miss out on a lot of 3rd party compatibility, accessories, and some great apps by not having an apple product. A big reason we stay is for features like removable sd cards, bigger screens, less lock down. If they take away our reasons to stay, we might not. At least give us a model of phone that fits our needs and we we will be signing motos praises on this board like I would like to be.View original


 What dirtdawg57 said...

Len_A
What's DOS?
Posts: 36
Registered: ‎07-24-2013
Location: United States
Views: 456
Message 40 of 265

Re: Droid MAXX - No MicroSD card slot



Teknologist said:



dirtdawg57 said:

I do appreciate your response to us Matt. I realize that you are in a difficult position of trying to keep us happy. It is frustration out of the fact that I want to stay with moto really to bad because I loved the Bionic. But can't help but feel kicked to the curb. Here is the thing, if Google keeps forcing the brands to dumb down all their phone models to the iPhone level they are probably going to lose because apple has been doing the simple phone longer. Let's face it, we android uses miss out on a lot of 3rd party compatibility, accessories, and some great apps by not having an apple product. A big reason we stay is for features like removable sd cards, bigger screens, less lock down. If they take away our reasons to stay, we might not. At least give us a model of phone that fits our needs and we we will be signing motos praises on this board like I would like to be.View original


 What dirtdawg57 said...


View original




What both my friends said...