Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Skeeterrock
802.11n
Views: 360
Message 61 of 265

Re: Droid MAXX - No MicroSD card slot

Wow, urgh!!

Okay if you all are passing on ULTRA phone, then count me in.  " No ULTRA MAXX for me"   Even though it fits my usage for space, I will just give my twin 200 bucks so she can buy a Moto X. I will help with this boycott tactic. Maybe we can send a message, this is my last post for the Ultra line. I tried to find the cost for a installing of SD card onto hardware but I couldn't. But I may upgrade to a non Moto device like the Sony phones. Peace and happiness Smiley Happy

I just wanted everyone to know that this will most likely lead to another 6 devices from friends and family members who will also be passing on the Ultra Maxx because of No SD Card. In the big schemes while it may be an oversight it is in my book equivalent to the Data downloads restriction  on 4G or the end user pays 10-20 more dollars. If folks can store more of their stuff on the phone that means less 4G they need throughout the day keeping cost down. I do see both Verizon and Motorola/Google benefiting more then the End User and the cost of doing business with Big Red and Google may/will go up for some end users. 

Len_A
What's DOS?
Message 62 of 265

skeeterrock said:

Wow, urgh!!

Okay if you all are passing on ULTRA phone, then count me in.  " No ULTRA MAXX for me"   Even though it fits my usage for space, I will just give my twin 200 bucks so she can buy a Moto X. I will help with this boycott tactic. Maybe we can send a message, this is my last post for the Ultra line. I tried to find the cost for a installing of SD card onto hardware but I couldn't. But I may upgrade to a non Moto device like the Sony phones. Peace and happiness Smiley Happy

I just wanted everyone to know that this will most likely lead to another 6 devices from friends and family members who will also be passing on the Ultra Maxx because of No SD Card. In the big schemes while it may be an oversight it is in my book equivalent to the Data downloads restriction  on 4G or the end user pays 10-20 more dollars. If folks can store more of their stuff on the phone that means less 4G they need throughout the day keeping cost down. I do see both Verizon and Motorola/Google benefiting more then the End User and the cost of doing business with Big Red and Google may/will go up for some end users. 

View original

Does anyone know what the specs will be on the Moto X?

I'm definately passing on the Maxx Ultra. My wife may also pass on it as well.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 63 of 265

Len_A said:

skeeterrock said:

Wow, urgh!!

View original

Does anyone know what the specs will be on the Moto X?

I'm definately passing on the Maxx Ultra. My wife may also pass on it as well.

View original

I think we'll know the specs on Thursday.  Every side view of the phone I've seen so far has been of the button side.  Today I saw a side view of the other side of the phone and it had one slot, which I'm assuming is for the SIM.

We'll know for sure on Thursday.

Administrator
Administrator
Message 64 of 265

I don't expect to convince anyone who has decided that no SDcard is a deal-killer. But I would like to say that I'm not stupid (or evil) for feeling that there are advantages for me to the new method. There is a lot of scorn in some of the posts and I think that's unfair. Here's my personal opinion about the change -- it's not an official statement of any kind. But I use these phones a lot and this is my view.

First, to some degree it made what I was already doing a necessity -- that is, auto-backing my photos to Facebook (which I use regularly) and to Google+ (which I use a bit now). For me, this is a pure win. I don't have to worry about uploading photos or having to get a photo off my phone if want it. The photos are there any time I want them. If I want to wipe the photos off my phone, I know I have them backed-up (twice). If my phone is stolen, I don't lose pictures that are probably irreplaceable.

Second, I think my photos are more secure on the Web than they are on my SDcard. Anyone could walk up to my unattended phone, even if it's screen-locked, and steal the SDcard out of it. It would take someone pretty smart to hack into my private photos online -- and motive could that thief have? At least the SDcard is worth a couple of bucks. My pictures of a sunset have value to only me.

My entire music library with me, everywhere I go. My photos automatically backed-up and saved. These things seem like huge advances. Do they require that the SDcard disappear? Of course not. But they allow it to disappear. 

Yes, the SD card allowed more music, etc., to be carried on the device. It was nice to just move it from device to device. But the uses have been degrading for awhile. No mass storage mode, no moving apps to the card. It was no longer as valuable.

I read something once that I thought was very smart. Someone said that if the computer had been invented first, and then paper, people would be astounded by paper. Look at this! It doesn't require power, stores tons of information -- text and pictures -- and you can drop it and it won't break! It's made from sustainable materials and can be easily recycled! Get it wet, you can dry it and still use it, and it's so cheap you can lend it or give it away!

This is kind of the opposite to me. This is a more advanced technology, but there is comfort -- and some real appeals, that I acknowledge -- in having the SDcard. Android and change have kind of been joined at the hip since the OS launched, so I guess I'm just used to going with the flow. Again, you have your views, and I respect them. Everyone is going to have their view of the change and above is mine. I am sorry if this drives anyone away. I'd prefer to have you all stay and bring your friends!

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Len_A
What's DOS?
Message 65 of 265

Matt, please don't take this personally, but no, you're not going to convince anyone that no SD card is not a deal killer. Only way this would be OK, would be if these phone, especially the ultra, had a 64 GB and a 128 GB option. Then, it would be OK. 32GB just isn't enough. If I were to buy this phone, the Maxx Ultra, I'd have to go back to carrying a portable media player, like an iPod Touch or a Samsung Galaxy 4.0/5.0, and that's not acceptable. The whole reason I got a smart phone was to do away with carrying two devices. 

Not only that, but because of the ability to take both still photos and video, and the use of videos in sales calls, I know of several outside sales jobs that, as a condition of the company reimbursing the sales rep for the use of his personal phone, mandate a smart phone, for push corporate email, and 64GB of storage, for photos and video. Hell, even Blackberry has an SD card slot. 

And for my personal use, I have eBooks, music, exercise videos and a dozen movies on my phone. I'll repeat myself - I do not want to carry a separate media player. When I travel, I want the option of having even more on a tablet, but for everyday use, including sweating my butt off on an elliptical trainer in the gym, or my home gym, I want my stuff on my phone. That necessitates storage. I don't care what Google/Motorola management and product development's reasons are for no SD card slot. For me, for my use, their reasons are not valid. 

If the Razr Maxx HD is still available, not just with in the the next two weeks, but for my wife, still available next April, then that's the route we'll go. If not, then I have to look at something else. I'm hoping the guy at the Costco cell phone kiosk, today, was right, and that Moto X will have an SD card slot, but my bet is that it won't. 

mgerbasio1
802.11n
Message 66 of 265

My two cents, I'd also like to see a microSD card but it isn't the deal breaker for me that it was a few years ago. Google (I assume it is them and not Motorola phones) has been tightening the noose on the SD card, you can't move apps to it, Google Music won't use it; those were my biggest uses.

I'm in spotty service areas frequently and like having a large music library with me to pass time. I could see those on limited data plans having an issue too. All things being equal, I'd like a more functional SD card or even better, the ability to at least r/w to a flash drive using an otg cable.

Teknologist
What's DOS?
Message 67 of 265

Matt (Forums Manager) said:

I don't expect to convince anyone who has decided that no SDcard is a deal-killer. But I would like to say that I'm not stupid (or evil) for feeling that there are advantages for me to the new method. There is a lot of scorn in some of the posts and I think that's unfair. Here's my personal opinion about the change -- it's not an official statement of any kind.

View original

I hear you saying it is not an official statement but your second sentence makes it sound like you expect this to be the new norm.

This saddens me.

I am not upgrading to the MAXX, the Ultra is even worse as it has even less space. Even Apple recognized the need for more than 32 Gbs of space. For now I wait. I have my eye on the Samsung Note 3. My wife has the Note 2 and it is pretty impressive. The 3 should be even better, provided they too don't start removing the SD card options!

I will try to stick with Motorola for the rest of my uses. But I can't live with this limitation for my personal devices. I manage a fleet of about 400 devices, all Motorola's. Contract for these is up next summer. Let's see happens between now and then. 

dirtdawg57
What's DOS?
Message 68 of 265

I understand where Matt is coming from but I don't understand how any lost feature can be considered a pure win. Like I said I would not have minded them adding the option of cloud while keeping the sd slot, then it would have been double win! That is what Iddon't understand here. I would think that moto and Google would want to be the top phone producer. Not a distant 4th or 5th.. Yes,y can cut out features one by one and just try to convince us this is best against our will. And at the end of the day there will be simple users that will buy phone because the version man told them to. A couple of the advanced users will just settle for it and just try hard to uses less space. And another group like us here will decide that it is just not worth it. The sales will be ok because the battery life is good, at least enough that moto will say "well we survived another one". But the likes of samsung and others will still out shine it.
But I wonder what would happen if a company set out to actually bring phones out that people wanted. Like I said before do different levels. The moto X sounds perfect for the simple users with its style and simplicity. Then bring out a Maxx line for the enthusiasts to get excited about. Yes maybe there would be slight loses in profit with the cloud, But if you get people excited because you are giving people what they want people are going to tell their friends. Then moto becomes know for listening to there customers. I don't think any customers asked to have a valuable feature removed.
By the way, currently where I live windstream is the only option for Internet and it is a mess so I cancelled it. 60 bucks a month for .3mbs wwasn't worth it.. Lol! So all I have is my Bionic with the 4GB special plan from version. By the end of the month I am squeezing out every last bit of it. I have all my syncing turned off to conserve data. I have my internal 16gb always maxed out with games, it is not big enough and I have the 32gb maxed out and have been planning on getting a 64gb sd so that is tough!

Imagine the poor ultra users stuck with 16gb with what, like 16gb usable? That is just cruel! Shared with games, picture, music, and videos? You better hope that they can use cloud, that is their only chance! Do you realize that many of the nice games take 2gigs of storage? Can't move those to cloud. Boy is the heavy gaming crowd going to be upset..
Teknologist
What's DOS?
Message 69 of 265

You just reminded me of the other features they took out. I have learned to live with them but I have always hoped they would put them back in.

These features and now the MicroSD card? This is jus too much...

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/bb7c08690d

The Exchange Synced Tasks is one I still have the hardest time living without. Even iPhone and Samsung has added tthat to their list of featuers. Motorola was the first to have the Tasks and now they don't do it at all.

Ugh!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 70 of 265

Notice: I'm just playing devil's advocate here.  Please don't throw rotten tomatos.

There are over 1.3 million likes on Motorola's Facebook page.  If only half of them actually own Motorola products, that's about 650,000.  There are almost 144,00 people enrolled in these forums, and that's about a sixth of the guesstimated owners, although we can assume that there are plentry of owners who don't go to Facebook or these forums.  I have no idea how many Razr/Maxx, M, and Razr/Maxx HD units were sold.  I'm sure my ownership estimates are quite low, especially when you add Bionic and Atrix owners to the mix.

The point of the math is just this: there are certainly a lot of users with high storage capacity needs, and not all of them are in this forum.  But, what is the percentage of owners who need more than 16 or 32 GB?  We simply don't know the answer to that question.

Here's an idea NOT BACKED UP BY FACT AT ALL: suppose some of the usage data collected by Motorola includes SD card usage.  And suppose they have data to show that most users don't fill up a 16 GB card.  That will change, of course, when the 16GB is shared by apps and data, and for that, there's a 32GB model.  Again, this is entirely hypothetical.

The first rule of marketing is this: it's less expensive to keep the customer you have, than to attract new customers.  But what if the people who have high capacity storage requirements make up a small fraction of the total usage statistics Motorola may have? The profit from those users may be smaller than the overall manufacturing cost of including SD card storage. Every station in a production line is enormously expensive.  Reducing manufacturing costs is an extraordinarily high priority.  Anyway, if the percentage of those with high storage capacity requirements is substantially smaller than the estimated retained customers plus new customers, the SD card goes.

Another thought: I'm sure Samsung will welcome those with SD card requirements to their customer base, but if Motorola is successful with their new line, other manufacturers may follow suit in an effort to stay competitive by reducing manufacturing costs.  Remember that the X is supposed to come in at a pretty attractive price point and will be available to all carriers.

Or perhaps it will go the other way, and too many customers will abandon Motorola, and they'll have to re-think their design. 

The IT department where I work is doing everything they can to eliminate portable storage.  They recognize that they may never get there, but if every SD card and thumb drive disappeared from all locations, they'd be ecstatic.  Portable storage is an IT risk.  Our standard-issue laptops no longer have optical drives to eliminate the loss of CDs/DVDs.  In that regard, Matt brings up a good point: leave your phone someplace and your data is at risk even if the phone isn't stolen.

Motorola has great radios, and great build quality, and better support options, and now a new UI that looks pretty interesting.  Will it be enough to grow their market share?  Only time will tell.

We are blind to the research that was done to provide the data to support the new design decision.  But I'd bet anything that it was, in fact, done.  The fact that we may disagree vehemently with their findings does not change that.  It just means that Motorola is not catering to our needs now.  So anyone with removable storage needs will change brands.  That's the way the market works.

This was sooooooooo way too long.  Sorry.