Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgerbasio1
802.11n
Views: 268
Message 71 of 265

Re: Droid MAXX - No MicroSD card slot

I had no faith in Motorola management and even under Jha, I thought these guys were clowns. From what I've read, not clowns but con men; they even fooled Google.

That said, I think Motorola now is being run by a very sharp company. I'm sure they have plenty of market research to back up the loss of the sd card upsetting only a minority of customers. I don't believe any Nexus devices supported it other than the Xoom; Nexus phones and tablets have no trouble selling. For those that truly need this, they'll go to another Android model so Google still wins. As I said, Google has been backing off functionality for the sd card, and more people from various forum sections wanted Motorola to get rid of blur for AOSP so welcome to the party. I'm more upset about the loss of the LED!

Back when the iphone came out, no sd card support (and a fixed battery) was a show stopper issue for me and why I picked Android.

I'm in the process of rooting a Nexus 7 now so I can use a flash drive; I'll probably use it two or three times for as long as I have the tablet but I like to know that I can if I want to. That's how the sd card is now in my phone, virtually empty but I like to know it's there if I want it. Let's say this feature is low on the shopping list when comparing phones. Although my last five phones have been Motorola Android, I do look around so it isn't all rah, rah Sanjay Jha (that rhymed better than Motorola or Google). Other Android devices I have aren't Motorola. I have no intention on buying this phone but would consider getting the X if it is $350 off contract; there isn't enough here to justify $700 over the RAZR HD MAXX I'm using now.

Of course I speak only for myself and only when my wife allows me.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 72 of 265

mgerbasio said:

I had no faith in Motorola management and even under Jha, I thought these guys were clowns. From what I've read, not clowns but con men; they even fooled Google.

That said, I think Motorola now is being run by a very sharp company. I'm sure they have plenty of market research to back up the loss of the sd card upsetting only a minority of customers. I don't believe any Nexus devices supported it other than the Xoom; Nexus phones and tablets have no trouble selling. For those that truly need this, they'll go to another Android model so Google still wins. As I said, Google has been backing off functionality for the sd card, and more people from various forum sections wanted Motorola to get rid of blur for AOSP so welcome to the party. I'm more upset about the loss of the LED!

Back when the iphone came out, no sd card support (and a fixed battery) was a show stopper issue for me and why I picked Android.

I'm in the process of rooting a Nexus 7 now so I can use a flash drive; I'll probably use it two or three times for as long as I have the tablet but I like to know that I can if I want to. That's how the sd card is now in my phone, virtually empty but I like to know it's there if I want it. Let's say this feature is low on the shopping list when comparing phones. Although my last five phones have been Motorola Android, I do look around so it isn't all rah, rah Sanjay Jha (that rhymed better than Motorola or Google). Other Android devices I have aren't Motorola. I have no intention on buying this phone but would consider getting the X if it is $350 off contract; there isn't enough here to justify $700 over the RAZR HD MAXX I'm using now.

Of course I speak only for myself and only when my wife allows me.

View original

Thank you, Mrs. Mgerbasio!  You've allowed your husband to discover his poetry muse!  wink

Administrator
Administrator
Message 73 of 265

Len_A said:

Matt, please don't take this personally, but no, you're not going to convince anyone that no SD card is not a deal killer. 

View original

I'm not taking it personally. But I might convince some people -- just not you. Wish I could.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
obiwan2000-2
Token Ring
Message 74 of 265

For what its worth I will probably resort to this technology   http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/sandisk-connect-wireless-media/4505-3186_7-35823379.html  when the time comes that I've filled up the internal storage on the Ultra Maxx or the X phone which ever one I end up choosing.

This will serve my projected needs for the forseeable future as always YMMV.

I hope these new phones enrich and solidify Moto's future. I will miss the wit, wisdom and kindness from some of the folks that may opt out because of this issue. Good luck to all.

my old 2011-2013 Motororla (non-google) sign on - now up and running as my back up.
Skeeterrock
802.11n
Message 75 of 265

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/30/samsung-benchmarks/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 76 of 265

skeeterrock said:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/30/samsung-benchmarks/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=EngadgetView original

Well, isn't that interesting!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 77 of 265

obiwan2000 said:

For what its worth I will probably resort to this technology   http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/sandisk-connect-wireless-media/4505-3186_7-35823379.html  when the time comes that I've filled up the internal storage on the Ultra Maxx or the X phone which ever one I end up choosing.

I hope these new phones enrich and solidify Moto's future. I will miss the wit, wisdom and kindness from some of the folks that may opt out because of this issue. Good luck to all.

View original

Seagate has updated its wireless drive and it's supposed to be pretty nice.  But I'm shocked: it's cheaper at B&H Photo than it is at Costco, and both have free shipping.

Yes, team, I know: the phone without an SD card will not fill your needs.  Just don't go.  Hang onto your old devices after you decide what you're doing, and ask some questions every now and then.

After all, even if this generation of phones doesn't meet your needs, who knows what will happen at the swap-out after this one?  

Everybody think happy thoughts.  angel

Teknologist
What's DOS?
Message 78 of 265

obiwan2000 said:

View original

So now we are back to carrying USB Flash drives and or external storage?... I was so happy I didn't have to carry an external flash drive anymore... The only thumb drives I have around all have OS installs on them for quick installations of workstations off of the network.

This is a nice solution for what it offers. I think it's a great idea and it looks like it is implemented well. Yay Sandisk! Any idea how long it will take to transfer lets say about 5 GB's of data with one of these? I can wait untl you get yours and test it... Smiley Happy It's like portable cloud storage!

I'm not sure if I can see having my media on this and then streaming to my phone on demand. It is a great idea for external storage though.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 79 of 265

Teknologist said:

obiwan2000 said:

View original

So now we are back to carrying USB Flash drives and or external storage?... I was so happy I didn't have to carry an external flash drive anymore... The only thumb drives I have around all have OS installs on them for quick installations of workstations off of the network.

This is a nice solution for what it offers. I think it's a great idea and it looks like it is implemented well. Yay Sandisk! Any idea how long it will take to transfer lets say about 5 GB's of data with one of these? I can wait untl you get yours and test it... Smiley Happy It's like portable cloud storage!

I'm not sure if I can see having my media on this and then streaming to my phone on demand. It is a great idea for external storage though.

View original

They will transfer at the speed of the USB cable that you use to connect it. It is afterall connectable via USB. 5GB shouldn't take that long. streaming from my pocket to the phone isn't a bad idea if the phone you want doesn't have enough space for all the media you want to carry. It won't work for all, but for someone like me, it will work just fine.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Len_A
What's DOS?
Message 80 of 265

obiwan2000 said:

View original

I have to admit, this is interesting. Especially the idea of plugging a 128GB SD card into the 64GB model for some real high capacity media storage. Now you've given me somethign to think about.