Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Administrator
Administrator
Views: 227
Message 81 of 265

Re: Droid MAXX - No MicroSD card slot

I admit to never having heard of a device like this. Your own personal pocket cloud.

I think the transfer speed will be directly related to the amount of traffic on the Wifi network. Translation: don't try this at the office.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 82 of 265

Matt (Forums Manager) said:

I admit to never having heard of a device like this. Your own personal pocket cloud.

I think the transfer speed will be directly related to the amount of traffic on the Wifi network. Translation: don't try this at the office.

View original

No!  Say it isn't so!  broken heart

wink

Skeeterrock
802.11n
Message 83 of 265

http://m.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-three-months?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews
Teknologist
What's DOS?
Message 84 of 265

crystallet said:

View original

No!  Say it isn't so!   broken heart

wink

View original

That implies you connect it to the office wi-fi. I was thinking of this more like an ad-hoc connection, perr to peer. Connected to my phone only.

More research is needed. Smiley Happy

As for USB speed, I would assume that, I was curious about the Wi-Fi transfer rates. I should have clarified. Smiley Happy

It would depend on the Wi-Fi connection type, B/G/N and a few other factors. It also depends on how fast the storage media is. Most MicroSD's are not that fast.

Skeeterrock
802.11n
Message 85 of 265

If the device is sending a WIFI Signal and your phone is sending a WIFI signal then you don't need the ISP Provider (Cellular Network/ Internet Provider) meaning that you can send and save information to the storage device by cell phone. 

I like the Pocket Cloud name. 

I can access my CPU with the RAZR MAXX HD by WIFI or bluetooth with the Data turned off on Cell Phone and Cable Modem. I can also use Bluetooth to connect to the PC by having the PC send a signal out to the Cell Phone. (I can't wait to see the Bluetooth 4.0 update in 4.3 in action.) Off topic a little, as I just read earlier that a new Lock feature will come with bluetooth that knows when to unlock your door to the house.  smiley

Try this simple test with your current Cell Phone and see if you can link to it without the Hot Spot or any data turned on. (Use CPU) Some folks may actually have the Modem that allows information to be stored on it and you can try that test. 

You are correct on the connection type but also security features may interfere requiring some sort of Android App to allow this to happen. Transfer Speeds will most likely be in the 25-39 Mb/s and if you use 3.0 USB with the new SD Cards you can achieve around 55mb/s-65mb/s. Limited to the SD Cards read and write speeds and I believe the RAZRs are maxxed out at around 55mb/s on WIFI Read/WRITE speeds but it might be a little higher for cell phone. 

I will research the web to see if in fact 100% certainty the Cell Phone can send information to the stick without and data usage. 

Skeeterrock
802.11n
Message 86 of 265

Okay read this guys review as he shows how to set it up and the results you can expect. I think this was from the first generation to me the SanDisk looks more appealing. According to his set-up the device will allow you to use WIFI to connect meaning that you aren't using data to access the infomration for read and writes.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-MobileLite-Wireless-Smartphones-MLW221/product-reviews/B00CEB5QU2/ref...

Administrator
Administrator
Message 87 of 265

Um. I might use it if I were traveling to Europe and was taking a lot of pictures... nah. Just one more device to mess with. I would just use the PC at the hotel to offload photos and upload them to Google Drive or Dropbox. 

It is cool though. I might want one just for that.

And let me reveal more potential ignorance. Doesn't this have to take advantage of the prevailing Wi-Fi networks to work? And if it doesn't -- won't a ton of other local Wi-Fi traffic still impact performance? 

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 88 of 265

Um. I might use it if I were traveling to Europe and was taking a lot of pictures... nah. Just one more device to mess with. I would just use the PC at the hotel to offload photos and upload them to Google Drive or Dropbox. 

It is cool though. I might want one just for that.

And let me reveal more potential ignorance. Doesn't this have to take advantage of the prevailing Wi-Fi networks to work? And if it doesn't -- won't a ton of other local Wi-Fi traffic still impact performance? 

View original

I think (talk about being ignorant about this stuff) that the connection is direct.  On the SanDisk site it says, "no cables, router, or Internet connection needed."

The Seagate drive I mentioned earlier (a pricey little number at $199 even at Costco) can also act as a hot spot for up to 8 devices, I think.  It's its own little router.

Skeeterrock
802.11n
Message 89 of 265

I did a test job with AIDA 64 with the Cable Modem Off and the Data on the cell phone off. 

Stats for WIFI max speed showed it topped out at 78 MBs when transferring data WIFI to Cell Phone WIFI to SD Card. Some folks may see it around 58 MBs. With this said the best the WIFI Cloud can do is a min of 57 Mbs and Maxx of 78 MBs to an external WIFI Storage device. Provided that the Sotrage Device can keep up with the Read and Write speeds. This test was done with the RAZR MAXX HD so results may vary for the new ULTRA Maxx.

SD Card that I had according to AIDA showed 27.7 MBs received during WIFI straight to SD Card sent.

See Image: (Screen Shot provided by Cell Phone and is a copy of the CPU)

CPU 3770K Intel Quad Core IVY Bridge Processor

Motherboard is P8Z77-V Premium

Please Ignore the datat that says BYTES Sent as that is maxxed potiential for this PC on data transfers. I am running 2 San Disk SSD extreme that are in Raid.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 90 of 265

skeeterrock said:

I did a test job with AIDA 64 with the Cable Modem Off and the Data on the cell phone off. 

Stats for WIFI max speed showed it topped out at 78 MBs when transferring data WIFI to Cell Phone WIFI to SD Card. Some folks may see it around 58 MBs.

SD Card that I had according to AIDA showed 27.7 MBs received during WIFI straight to SD Card.

See Image: (Screen Shot provided by Cell Phone and is a copy of the CPU)

CPU 3770K Intel Quad Core IVY Bridge Processor

Motherboard is P8Z77-V Premium

Please Ignore the datat that says BYTES Sent as that is maxxed potiential for this PC on data transfers. I am running 2 San Disk SSD extreme that are in Raid.

View original

This is so way over my head...but is it saying that the transfer to the phone's memory is a lot faster?