Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BryantK
Paper Tape
Views: 253
Message 1 of 11

Email Error

I searched and can't find any info on this.

My homescreen shows 1 unread email, but, there are no unread emails.  I have tried clearing me cache but that didn't help.  Also, there are no drafts, outbox emails etc.

Anyway to get rid of this annoyance?

Thanks

doogald
802.11n
Message 2 of 11

Re: Email Error

Is it an IMAP or POP3 account? If it is IMAP, try looking at the mail on a computer. It could be that you received an email that was dated improperly that, because of the email account's settings only to sync a certain number of days on the phone, is not showing up there but is showing up in the account.

If it is POP3 I have no idea. One idea is to remove the account (in settings, accounts are listed there) and then add it back again.

BryantK
Paper Tape
Message 3 of 11

It is a POP3 account.  I will try deleting and adding the account back but I tried that before and it had no affect.

Drusafa
Token Ring
Message 4 of 11

Have you tried to clear data on email app. This will wipeout all accounts and you will have to re-add.
BryantK
Paper Tape
Message 5 of 11

I have done that in the past but as soon as I reinstall the email account the error reoccurs.

doogald
802.11n
Message 6 of 11

I'd consider ditching the mediocre stock email app and try another. The Gmail app can now be set up for POP3 and IMAP mail accounts as well, and in the Play Store there are some great email apps (K9 Mail, Type mail, Aqua mail) that are much better than the stick mail client on the Maxx/Ultra/Mini.

lgodiva
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 11

There must be a more definitive answer than to use a different email app.  I've been using the same app for years and only had this issue once or twice before...can't remember how I resolved it except that it just stopped.  I have it again with my Droid Maxx.  I read about clearing the Badger Android app but that didn't work. Someone out there in Motorola land must know how to fix this!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 8 of 11

We have seen an issue where texting shows an unread message and nothing except installing a different texting app that allows you to clear the notification will fix it.

Did you try accessing the account on a computer to make sure there's nothing unread that could be stuck in syncing/resyncing?

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Message 9 of 11

Have you tried logging into that account on a PC and filtering your Inbox by Unread mail? I have read about messages having weird dates (far into the future or strange past dates) causing this to happen since the phone does not know how to display those messages.
~Scott
doogald
802.11n
Message 10 of 11

lgodiva said:

There must be a more definitive answer than to use a different email app.  I've been using the same app for years and only had this issue once or twice before...can't remember how I resolved it except that it just stopped.  I have it again with my Droid Maxx.  I read about clearing the Badger Android app but that didn't work. Someone out there in Motorola land must know how to fix this!

View original

I hate to say it, but the stock email client is so mediocre that, yes I still say that the best answer is to give it up and use a different app. (However, that said, you'll lose the unread badge number.)

So, since the badge is important, I'll suggest one of these:

- switch from POP3 to IMAP if your mail server supports it. It is better anyway. (The answer that suggest looking for emails on a PC will not work if you are POP3 - POP3 just downloads mail from the server without syncing.) IMAP syncs with the server, and with other email clients on other platforms, so when you read a message on one client, it will be marked read on all. This to me is the best choice for you, *IF* your mail server supports IMAP.

- switch from the stock launcher to Nova Launcher Prime and use the Tesla Unread plugin to show unread messages. The badger app that you mention only works with the stock launcher, which, like the stock mail client, just isn't a very good launcher anymore. Just note, though, that this will prevent the Droid Command Center "circle weather" widget from working, so, if that's important, go back to switching to IMAP.

I can't say this enough, though - the stock mail client is pretty bad. It's about the equivalent of having a built-in calculator that has just addition, multiplication and division (but no subtraction). You can get by, but it sure is easier to get an app from the Play Store, since the phone is a computer that runs apps, after all.