83 Posts

01-08-2014

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 31 of 41

Re: Finding a good mobile handsfree operation solution

2014-01-20, 3:26 AM

SnoDrtRider said:

Sorry for not responding sooner I've been sorting out everything with KK.

Motorola Assist in drive mode using the Sliver works fine for me... as good as Motospeak or better. I wear my BT all day because I can use my hands working and talk/text over BT.

One app that you may like is EVA Intern if it has been updated to work on KK. I had it for the trial period and it worked well. The only thing that I didn't care for is once in a while it would start talking to me asking how I was, etc. Pretty funny if you are not occupied but the first time it happened is scared me because I was not expecting it. You could actually carry on a conversation with the app if you wanted to.

View original

SnoDrtRider,

Sorry, but first, what is "KK"?

Second, I did a Google search on the "best hands  free apps" and have a number of them that I'm going to try to tomorrow.  One of them WAS the Motorola "Assist". 

I tried to find it in my Google Play Store (Android), BUT... from what I could tell, it appears that it is only a Motorola PHONE app.  That is, it is only for Motorola PHONES.  True?  (I have a Samsung Galaxy S3.)  Otherwise, I can't find it!  :-(

Third, I've added "EVA" to my "To Try" list.  Thanks!

Bob

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 32 of 41

2014-01-20, 3:41 AM

If I may, KK is the Android KitKat operating system.  And Assist is Motorola specific.

Options

83 Posts

01-08-2014

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 33 of 41

2014-01-20, 3:53 AM

crystallet said:

If I may, KK is the Android KitKat operating system.  And Assist is Motorola specific.

View original

Thanks for the clarifications!  My Galaxy S3 is the Android Jellybean OS.  And Assist being Motorola (PHONE) specific is what my research was telling me (I couldn't find it in my Android/Google App Store).  Thanks for confirming that...

I too hope that Motorola fixes/updates the MMS app (at least) one last time.  AND MAYBE, since they sold soooo many BT devices with MMS as a major selling point/benefit, and the number of "us" that use it and are now without, MAYBE they'll reconsider it being a "Sunset" app and reconsider supporting it???  <big sigh>

JUST IN CASE, here's a list of alternative apps that I've put together:

Assistant (SPEAKTOIT)

SKYVI

JEANNIE

ROBIN (the SIRI challenger)

AIVC

Talking SMS & Caller

SIRI for Android (ANDY)

Speak Drive Text

Jarvis Texting Robot

Indigo

Text By Voice

HFT (Hands Free Texting)  <is $.99>

TEXT'N DRIVE

Handsfree

Choice Dialer Plus

Eva Intern

Sonalight Text

Dragon Mobile Assistant

I've not tried them all... nor am I going to make a recommendation as everyone has their own specific needs/uses.  For example, with MY phone (Galaxy S3) and Motorola HX550 Bluetooth, Dragon doesn't see to want to end the application after making a call.  That requires me to physically get out the phone and manually close the app/screen in order to make the next call. 

That kind of defeats the "hands-free" aspect for me.  But 1) that might not be important to others, and/or 2) maybe it doesn't do that with OTHER phone BT combinations.

I'm going to post this list on the "other" link too... and hopefully, we can all add other handsfree app options to one thread or the other - or both.

Bob

Options

31 Posts

12-29-2013

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 34 of 41

2014-01-29, 18:30 PM
FWIW, I tried my Roadster 2 and My Moto speak this morning and everything was working OK. I don't know for how long or why but it
is working now. As far as I call tell nothing was changed or updated, it is just working.
Options

83 Posts

01-08-2014

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 35 of 41

2014-01-30, 1:48 AM

YEA!!!!!  MINE is working again too!!  (Galaxy S3/HX550)

I was JUST ABOUT to pull the trigger on a BlueAnt Q3 to get the MMS app functionality.  Saved me $75!

NOW, if Motorola would just EXPAND the MMS app to include their newer models (Whisper, Boom, Sliver 2, etc.) - because I'm due - I'd be a Motorola customer for a L-O-N-G time!

Bob

Options

21 Posts

12-27-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 36 of 41

2014-02-17, 3:21 AM

Finally re-installed My Motospeak and confirmed it is working for me now. I removed Dragon from my device.

John

Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Views: 2684
  • Message 37 of 41

2014-02-19, 1:10 AM

JTR said:

Finally re-installed My Motospeak and confirmed it is working for me now. I removed Dragon from my device.

John

View original

Thank you for the update.  Glad things are working for you now! :)

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Options

83 Posts

01-08-2014

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 38 of 41

2014-02-19, 14:33 PM

Galaxy S3 | Sprint | HX550

UPDATE:  While I continue to tolerate the partial-functioning of my MMS application (I have to reset the BT function or do a complete PHONE restart in order to PLACE a call or to SEND a text), I've researched the only other option (in my opinion) out there.  It is another proprietary BT headset: the Bluant Q3.

On their web site, they describe the functionality:

Conferencing (I don't think that even Motorola's MMS app does this.  But, it would be a RARE occasion when *I* would need this feature.)

Caller Announce and Voice Answer - The Q3 will announce the incoming caller by name and then you simply handle the call by saying "Answer" or "Ignore"*.  (Yeah, MMS does this too... or at least USED TO before the last Android/Samsung update.)

Android Application - ...whenever you receive an SMS (text) on your connected Android phone, it will be read back through your Q3 automatically.

Google Voice Actions Integration - Simply double tap the command button to instantly access... Google Voice Actions like sending an SMS or navigation, is also a double tap away on supported Android phones.

Hmmm....?

So I contacted Blueant to see if their Q3 could/would allow a user to REPLY to an incoming SMS/text message... AND if a user could INITIATE a SMS/text message from their BT device.  Here is their response:

"Once you downloaded the BlueAnt Android App to your phone, the Q3 will be able to read out your text messages but it is not possible for you to reply thru text using your voice thru the BlueAnt App. However, replying to text message using your voice would be possible using a third party app. (BUT THEY DON'T SAY WHICH THIRD PARTY APP) With the Google S Voice or Apple's Siri. It is possible."

The reason for my quest is two-fold... 1) while I am thrilled that I have some/most of the MMS functionality back, it is still (partially) broken.  And 2) MMS is still considered a "Sunset" (no longer supported) app.  At what point will Motorola NO LONGER actually support it??

I'm not sure how well the Q3 works...  Nor do I know IF indeed a "third-party" app and/or S-Voice would allow the Q3 to respond to/create SMS/text messages.  So for now, will probably just accept the MMS in its current form... and HOPE that Motorola continues to support it. 

But unless another app is found... the Q3 might be the only BT headset that even comes close.

Bob

Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Views: 2684
  • Message 39 of 41

2014-02-19, 15:07 PM

ydoc69 said:

UPDATE:  While I continue to tolerate the partial-functioning of my MMS application (I have to reset the BT function or do a complete PHONE restart in order to PLACE a call or to SEND a text), I've researched the only other option (in my opinion) out there.  It is another proprietary BT headset: the Bluant Q3.

On their web site, they describe the functionality:

Conferencing (I don't think that even Motorola's MMS app does this.  But, it would be a RARE occasion when *I* would need this feature.)

Caller Announce and Voice Answer - The Q3 will announce the incoming caller by name and then you simply handle the call by saying "Answer" or "Ignore"*.  (Yeah, MMS does this too... or at least USED TO before the last Android/Samsung update.)

Android Application - ...whenever you receive an SMS (text) on your connected Android phone, it will be read back through your Q3 automatically.

Google Voice Actions Integration - Simply double tap the command button to instantly access... Google Voice Actions like sending an SMS or navigation, is also a double tap away on supported Android phones.

Hmmm....?

So I contacted Blueant to see if their Q3 could/would allow a user to REPLY to an incoming SMS/text message... AND if a user could INITIATE a SMS/text message from their BT device.  Here is their response:

"Once you downloaded the BlueAnt Android App to your phone, the Q3 will be able to read out your text messages but it is not possible for you to reply thru text using your voice thru the BlueAnt App. However, replying to text message using your voice would be possible using a third party app. (BUT THEY DON'T SAY WHICH THIRD PARTY APP) With the Google S Voice or Apple's Siri. It is possible."

The reason for my quest is two-fold... 1) while I am thrilled that I have some/most of the MMS functionality back, it is still (partially) broken.  And 2) MMS is still considered a "Sunset" (no longer supported) app.  At what point will Motorola NO LONGER actually support it??

I'm not sure how well the Q3 works...  Nor do I know IF indeed a "third-party" app and/or S-Voice would allow the Q3 to respond to/create SMS/text messages.  So for now, will probably just accept the MMS in its current form... and HOPE that Motorola continues to support it. 

But unless another app is found... the Q3 might be the only BT headset that even comes close.

Bob

View original

Blueant Q2 might be able to do the main items you are seeking at a lesser price point....?  Unfortunately, I am away from home and did not bring my Q2 with me so cannot test for you :(  

Perhaps another User can help?

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

United States of America

2720 Signins

25620 Page Views

• Views: 25620
  • Message 40 of 41

2014-02-19, 15:13 PM

ydoc69 said:

View original

Has Samsung provided any support or feedback for this particular issue?  Seems to be isolated to Samsung phones, from what I am reading. 

~Scott
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms