Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 4,615
Message 1 of 38

For our DROID Ultra/Maxx/Mini users on Verizon:

We apologize that we will not be upgrading DROID Ultra/Mini/Maxx to Android Lollipop, as we had hoped. We know how important software upgrades are to our customers, and we're very sorry that we are unable to provide the upgrade.

We would like to offer something to people who purchased this device. Please click here for more details.

We know that some of our DROID Ultra/Mini/Maxx users will still be disappointed, but we hope that this helps to make amends.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Raydo991
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,538
Message 2 of 38

Re: For our DROID Ultra/Maxx/Mini users on Verizon:

Matt,

As a Droid Maxx owner, I am disappointed to learn that the promised upgrade is not gong to happen.  I was considering an upgrade to a DT2, but this gives me pause.  How can i be confident that the DT2 will ever receive the current release of Android (Marshmallow)?  I am fine with it being a version behind when I purchase, but only if I can be confident that it will be brought up to speed sometime thereafter.

That aside, I was anxious to see what the offer was to compensate for our disappointment.  While $100 off of a DT2 if purchased via the Motorola website is not insubstantial, it pales when compared to what is available via Verizon.  If I purchase a DT2 from Verizon, I get $100 off via a current upgrade promo, can pay for the device over 24 months with no interest charges, and receive a trade-in allowance of $200 for my old Droid Ultra (which is clearly worth $0 at this point).while keeping my Maxx as a backup.

Given that, I am not sure I see any value at all in the $100 discount/compensation being offered.  It would be significantly more valuable if the promo code could be used when purchasing from Verizon, where we would still get the best current deal on the DT2 plus the additional $100 off from Motorola to compensate for the lack of upgrade.

Sorry to come across as negative.  I've been a big Moto user and fan for quite a while.  Am I missing something?

Thanks. 

LandLockedPH
Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 38

Matt,

I too must echo the disappointment reflected in Raydo99's posting above.  Almost word-for-word, I feel the same way.

I've enjoyed my Droid Maxx and have patiently waited for the promised upgrade for many months now to find out that you not only will not providing the upgrade you promised but that you deliver yet another slap in the face by providing an offer that is surpassed by the only carrier that sells the offered devices.  I'm sure that you make this offer knowing that no Verizon customer would consider it of any value.  

It appears that you have "flipped" the same finger to the Droid Maxx owners that you did at the end of last year to the 2nd gen Moto X owners.  One such action is a disappointment.  Repeating that action sets a trend.

I will make sure this news gets around the Android forums so that potential Moto buyers expectations are set when they go to make their next purchase.

Regards.

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Message 4 of 38

Raydo99 said:

Matt,

As a Droid Maxx owner, I am disappointed to learn that the promised upgrade is not gong to happen.  I was considering an upgrade to a DT2, but this gives me pause.  How can i be confident that the DT2 will ever receive the current release of Android (Marshmallow)?  I am fine with it being a version behind when I purchase, but only if I can be confident that it will be brought up to speed sometime thereafter.

That aside, I was anxious to see what the offer was to compensate for our disappointment.  While $100 off of a DT2 if purchased via the Motorola website is not insubstantial, it pales when compared to what is available via Verizon.  If I purchase a DT2 from Verizon, I get $100 off via a current upgrade promo, can pay for the device over 24 months with no interest charges, and receive a trade-in allowance of $200 for my old Droid Ultra (which is clearly worth $0 at this point).while keeping my Maxx as a backup.

Given that, I am not sure I see any value at all in the $100 discount/compensation being offered.  It would be significantly more valuable if the promo code could be used when purchasing from Verizon, where we would still get the best current deal on the DT2 plus the additional $100 off from Motorola to compensate for the lack of upgrade.

Sorry to come across as negative.  I've been a big Moto user and fan for quite a while.  Am I missing something?

Thanks. 

View original

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback. I passed it on.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
jdawg334
Punch Card
Message 5 of 38

Would there be any possibillity that Motorola could make our phone's bootloader unlockable so we can just put lollipop on ourselves. Device is still available for purchase as a new 2 yr device by Motorola here and Verizon here with the assumption that it would be updated to 5.0 on the update page here up until that was changed this afternoon?

FAMontgomery
Punch Card
Message 6 of 38

This is a joke of an offer. If you can't keep a promise why should I ever trust you again. You made a big deal about the Moto X 2014 and then cut bait and then do it again on the Droid Maxx. Oh just buy something else from us that I have no doubt will not be updated as promised.

jdawg334
Punch Card
Message 7 of 38

FAMontgomery said:

This is a joke of an offer. If you can't keep a promise why should I ever trust you again. You made a big deal about the Moto X 2014 and then cut bait and then do it again on the Droid Maxx. Oh just buy something else from us that I have no doubt will not be updated as promised.

View original

It's OK we all know Lenovo runs the show now of what was once Motorola and know who not to buy a phone, computer, nor toilet bowl from now. They can't give the loyal people who still are using their device full control of it (bootloader unlock) but have the audacity to offer 50-100 off their newest and greatest device like we should just have $300-500 laying around to give the company who just said they cant come through with an update they said they would bring over a year ago to a fully capable device.. They kept 2013 droids in the lineup for over a year for upgrade to 5.0 while Verizon and Motorola are still selling and profiting off the 2013 Mini to this day with as of yesterday an expectation of at least an upgrade to 5.0. Then they take it all away when they have to fess up and come clean and say they cant deliver in the end. I think its disrespectful that Motorola feels we would fall for such an offer as to ONLY require us to pay 300-500 for an updated version of the device we own now. Perhaps they should give us a turbo or turbo 2 at no cost with the operating system upgrade we were told we would get on our max?? Or simply unlock the bootloader on our Maxx so we can control our device we supposedly own and update it how we want since theres no longer any support,

Max1234
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 38

Moto, please, unlock bootloader.

riversidekid
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 38

Matt, I too have been a DROID fan and user since the original DROID and I have had only DROID telephones ever since and even worked with you during a couple of soak tests, which I enjoyed.  That said, I have been checking websites and even rumor boards for this upcoming Lollipop release for my current phone so I am disappointed in the current news.  I realize any upgrade is a collaboration between the manufacturer and the service provider so I am not pointing fingers either.  I maintain myself as a DROID fan.

I agree wholeheartedly with prior comments that a discount coupon on an upgrade feels more like a sales pitch to existing customers rather than an offer to compensate the unfortunate events that lead to disappointed customers.  I suddenly feel as though I am holding a product that the manufacturer doesn't even want me having for some reason rather than a valued repeat customer.

I bought the phone after the promise of upgrade was public and I still have more than 11 months before I am eligible for an upgrade on my current contract.

Now that I have vented; Is there any promise for ongoing security updates on my DROID MAXX?  When purchasing a new DROID, is there any promise to keep the product current or at least patched for a set period of time?  I don't want to purchase a phone that is not going to be supported during the contract period but at present I do not know a way to find out what the supported time frame is going to be when I make the purchase.

Thank you for any insight.

omahamatt
Fanfold Paper
Message 10 of 38

This is so disappointing. Only smartphones I've owned have been Motorola. Looks like it's going to be time to venture to a different brand. So unfortunate.