Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msi1
What's DOS?
Views: 1,590
Message 11 of 38

Re: For our DROID Ultra/Maxx/Mini users on Verizon:

Expected. Nasty, nasty Motorola and Verizon of the same. Once again, they buried such a gorgeous line, this time the droids, with their excellent hardware. It was with Motorola Photon 4G from Sprint, so with the Atrix HD.

KRyan2
What's DOS?
Message 12 of 38

Adding my name to the chorus.  I've been a longtime Motorola user, literally every one of my phones but one over more than 20 years has been Motorola.  I've had no less than 4 Droid Maxx phones (two paid full price, another purchased full price after a warranty refund, one bought used to replace one I broke; 3 of the 4 were Developer Editions).  I too was looking forward to an OS refresh; while providing one for a 2 year old phone is going above and beyond in terms of modern product lifespans, Motorola *did* make promises it would be updated. 

I agree the $100 off a new (full price, non-unlockable) phone when a better deal can be had from the carrier is borderline insulting.  Offering to unlock the phone so people can leverage the efforts of community developers would be a much better gesture (but we wouldn't want to annoy Verizon, now would we).  I acknowledge as a DE user it doesn't matter to me personally (and my wife is OK with getting saturated with ads on her consumer-edition Maxx) but I would get the advantage of a revived developer community.  Independent developers can work wonders, as I learned when ASUS put my TF700 tablet out to pasture independent developers not only updated it to Lollipop but found very effective workarounds for a severe hardware design problem.

When my phone broke I took a good, hard look at the Samsung line.  If finances were better I would have jumped to an S6, but I found a Maxx DE on Swappa so I'm still Motorola for the moment.  The Turbo 2 is a nice phone, but inability to obtain any sort of root access is a deal-killer for me.  (Some ads would be OK, but IMO most websites are just too overwhelmed to be usable on a mobile; an ad blocker is an absolute necessity for me).

LoneWolf-1
Fanfold Paper
Message 13 of 38

Matt,

As a Droid 2 owner, then a Bionic owner, and a Maxx owner, this rings hollow.  At least the last Motorola phone I'm likely to have for the foreseeable future is a Nexus 6.  Whose updates come from Google.

How many other Motorola phones had this sort of promise, this sort of failure, and then some sort of weak rebate?  Further, the rebate is tied to the purchase of Verizon-exclusive Motorola phones --the exact same phones that will get the exact same update promises, followed by the exact same broken promises.

My first suggestion is to allow everyone who got shafted by a broken promise to buy an *unlocked* phone at discount.  A Moto X Pure.  One that at least has a moderate chance of getting updates when the vendor promises them, with less chance of a repeat disappointment.

My second suggestion is to actually pull out of your Verizon agreements, unless you can restructure them so that *your* company is in charge of updates, not them.  See, Apple managed to do this.  No matter which phone I buy, I guarantee it will never again be a carrier-branded phone (like the Moto X 2nd-gen carrier editions you left in the dust), and it will not say "Droid" on it.  And as it was Motorola that promised the updates to these phones, even though I know Verizon's approval process stinks, I hold the one who made the promise responsible, and that's your company.  Even if Lenovo now owns it.

I know Matt, that you're stuck in the unenviable position of being the shield for a decision that isn't yours.  However, I would like it if you forwarded up the chain that your company shouldn't make promises it can't keep, and it shouldn't do it multiple times.  I love your phones, but if it isn't a Nexus you're making for Google, it will be a long time before I own one again.

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  Won't get fooled again.  And it's too bad too --the electronics and engineering of your phones are great.  It just isn't enough.

doogald
802.11n
Message 14 of 38

To me this is a useless offer. I don't want a new droid. 

At least with the Atrix HD Motorola offered a reduced price on a BT headset. That I could use. Or even a Moto 360 deal would be nice. An offer of only one of the new Droid phones is even more insulting than not going forward with the Lollipop update. 

StillWaitingFor
What's DOS?
Message 15 of 38

Matt,

Did this actually happen: (Recent Android Central post)

For those of you holding onto a Verizon version of the 2014 Moto X, you can now unlock the bootloader on your device. The news comes by way of a Motorola Forums Manager, who says that the company received the go-ahead to start allowing unlocks on Verizon's 2014 Moto X:

Hey, everyone. Just wanted to let you know that we did get the green light to unlock the bootloader on Verizon 2014 Moto X (2nd Gen) devices. Unfortunately, we can't do this for devices on other carriers.

While unlocking the bootloader will allow you to customize your Moto X by flashing third-party ROMs and the like, keep in mind that going through with the unlock process will void your warranty. If you're interested in unlocking the bootloader on your device, you can head to Motorola's website to begin the process.

This is exactly what needs to happen!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 16 of 38

StillWaitingFor5.0 said:

Matt,

Did this actually happen: (Recent Android Central post)

For those of you holding onto a Verizon version of the 2014 Moto X, you can now unlock the bootloader on your device. The news comes by way of a Motorola Forums Manager, who says that the company received the go-ahead to start allowing unlocks on Verizon's 2014 Moto X:

Hey, everyone. Just wanted to let you know that we did get the green light to unlock the bootloader on Verizon 2014 Moto X (2nd Gen) devices. Unfortunately, we can't do this for devices on other carriers.

While unlocking the bootloader will allow you to customize your Moto X by flashing third-party ROMs and the like, keep in mind that going through with the unlock process will void your warranty. If you're interested in unlocking the bootloader on your device, you can head to Motorola's website to begin the process.

This is exactly what needs to happen!

View original

I can answer this for you with absolute certainty:  yes, it happened.  What I can't answer is whether or not it can happen again.

lkwarner
Paper Tape
Views: 1,574
Message 17 of 38

You guys suck! You built a great little phone, the Droid Maxx, that works so well it outlasts the Verizon contract.  I like it so much, I decide to buy a new car stereo with Android Auto features - big bucks.  Imagine my surprise to find my great little cell phone  won't run the app because you won't upgrade the processor so it can.  And you had the gall to offer a $50 off coupon to buy a (gasp) Droid Maxx 2, so that I can have a phone that will work with Android Auto.  If I bought a new phone, I pay an additional $25 a month to Verizon by upgrading and going back in contract - for 2 years. So your $50 coupon doesn't even stack up against the $600 for the additional contract fee with Verizon. And another $350 for a new cell phone. So there is the lovely Pioneer AVIC8100NEX that has just increased in cost to me by 40%,  again because you will not upgrade my Droid Maxx to Lollipop.  Save your apology. Try thinking about your customers. I am just glad the stereo also has Apple Car play, because that may be my next cell phone.

Ak_bhurgri
Paper Tape
Views: 1,521
Message 18 of 38

Motorola admin please provide me droid mini unlock
Navid_Anjum
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,472
Message 19 of 38

Motorola, please if you care for your costumers interest please provide them with the bootloader unlock facility for Droid /maxx/Mini /Ultra.
tepidturtle
Paper Tape
Views: 1,428
Message 20 of 38

@crystallet: Giving users the option to unlock would be a very welcome outcome.

Would approval for this need to come from Verizon?