Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael378
What's DOS?
Views: 1,194
Message 21 of 38

Re: For our DROID Ultra/Maxx/Mini users on Verizon:

NOT Happy with Le-No-VO bail out on the Droid Maxx OS upgrade...

and really it's falls back to Motorola.... but... 

$50.00 really.......

Can you put it on the line right now....

Will the Droid Maxx2 get the 6.0 upgrade

As I see it your offer is a fail for a phone with an outdated OS given the lack of product support for the Droid Maxx.

az3333
What's DOS?
Views: 1,150
Message 22 of 38

open our bootloader instead of offer us new bull**bleep** locked phons...
this is the list you can do for your dissapointented customers after **bleep**ing us with no lolipop update!

droid maxx user!

az3333
What's DOS?
Views: 1,147
Message 23 of 38

group suit against motorola for open our bootloader will make thinks happen! joins us poeple.

lclary
What's DOS?
Views: 1,132
Message 24 of 38

Fool me once, shame on you. But you will never get to fool me again. I will buy Samsung or LG--but as much as I like my droid, you promised--and I purchased on that promise--to upgrade the software and had it promised all over your website with expected dates. Now you offer to take my money again? No thanks.

jdawg334
Punch Card
Views: 1,113
Message 25 of 38

I notice that the mini version of this phone is still available today for purchase through Verizon and many people don't know how outdated and vulnerable their brand new phones are to hackers and malware. Brand new phones assembled as recently as December 2015 according to the about phone on a mini I saw.  I bet they knew the phones were EOL even as they continued to manufacture them. Motorola had a reputation of being a good quality company so many still think they are buying a good product. It will only be a matter of time before someone gets burned and their identity or financial info stolen and then sues the pants off Lenovorola and gives them wonderful media coverage. At least they could give people a chance to take full control of their own device since the same ones who announced that they would update the phone have now abandoned it.

doogald
802.11n
Views: 1,100
Message 26 of 38

@jdawg334 wrote:

I notice that the mini version of this phone is still available today for purchase through Verizon and many people don't know how outdated and vulnerable their brand new phones are to hackers and malware.

I'm curious what you think those hacker and malware vulnerabilities are?

As it turns out, there is a new Stagefright exploit called Metaphor that affects Lollipop but NOT KitKat. See https://www.exploit-db.com/docs/39527.pdf (see the overview on page 3, where it is explained that the exploit affects Android versions 2.2 - 4.0 and 5.0 - 5.1 but not 4.1, 4.2, or 4.3.) It might be argued that the Droid Mini is more secure on KitKat than it would be on Lollipop.

I'm still disappointed that the phone did not receive an upgrade, and very disappointed in Motorola's "offer" of a coupon to buy another phone that may end up in the same boat in a couple of years, but if you are going to criticize this based on security concerns, you're argument should include concrete examples of how the phone is less secure on KitKat vs. Lollipop.

jdawg334
Punch Card
Views: 1,087
Message 27 of 38

My point isn't necessarily that kit Kat itself makes our phones more vulnerable and less secure although every new Android version comes with promise of being more secure. However not being able to change system ourselves and apply the security updates or install a custom ROM with the updates baked in whether it be kit Kat or lollipop or marshmallow makes the phone less secure. They've continued to sell the phone while stating that it will get 5.1 update until they changed that last month. Many people keep their phone for 2 years until next upgrade so that's 2 years of them owning a phone that is no longer being kept up to date as new vulnerabilities are found every day. 

doogald
802.11n
Views: 1,082
Message 28 of 38

@jdawg334 wrote:

My point isn't necessarily that kit Kat itself makes our phones more vulnerable and less secure although every new Android version comes with promise of being more secure. However not being able to change system ourselves and apply the security updates or install a custom ROM with the updates baked in whether it be kit Kat or lollipop or marshmallow makes the phone less secure. They've continued to sell the phone while stating that it will get 5.1 update until they changed that last month. Many people keep their phone for 2 years until next upgrade so that's 2 years of them owning a phone that is no longer being kept up to date as new vulnerabilities are found every day. 

Nobody at Motorola said that it would stop receiving security updates. All they've said is that it will not receive Lollipop. For example, they provided a security patch for last year's Stagefright vulnerability last fall. At this point there is no evidence that any similar critical vulnerabilities will not be patched on KitKat.

tepidturtle
Paper Tape
Views: 1,075
Message 29 of 38

-delete-

jdawg334
Punch Card
Views: 1,059
Message 30 of 38

You're right-nobody has SAID that Lenovo would not continue to provide security updates. However if they have bailed from the previously promised upgrade to Lollipop what makes one think they will continue to provide security updates  that were never promised?? Why would they do that? They have given every indication that we are on our own with our devices yet they will not let us do what we (including the ones who just bought the Mini) need to do to keep our devices updated and safe. How can they do that and that be good business practice? At any rate---I've paid fully for my phone yet not only am I out of an official update which they said was a go-yet-I can't even update the phone myself because Motorola/Lenovo holds the key and refuses to give it up-how fair is this????