Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rhanzlick
What's DOS?
Views: 1,344
Message 1 of 11

Gmail .wav attachments no longer play

I purchased a Droid Maxx when first released and everything worked great up until very recently.  Now I'm noticing that when I attempt to launch a .wav audio attachment in gmail, I receive error that there is no application to open.  Furthermore, if I save and then attempt to launch from downloads, I receive error that it cannot open the file.  If I open app first (such as google play or other app from Play store), phone then has no issue playing the .wav files.

I went so far as to factory wipe and reset the device, but noticing same issue on reset, so am wondering if there are others out there experiencing this same problem (perhaps due to recent OS upgrade / hotfix).

Regards,

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 11

Re: Gmail .wav attachments no longer play

Try installing a different media player from the Play Store and see it that helps. There is a good one called Rocket Music Player. It should allow you to play wav files. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

rhanzlick
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for the update, I tried Rocket Player as you indicated, but still seeing same issue.  Whats odd, is that if you attempt to launch from gmail, you get error as attached in screenshot. Yet if you load Rocket Player first and then manually find the file in downloads and then play, it works.

Very odd issue, almost like Gmail / Android doesn't understand what type of file it is until you manually load it into the app.

Regards,

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 11

Well, at least you can play the files. 

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

rhanzlick
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 11

Agreed, just frustrating that it doesn't load via Gmail app (when it used to).

Thanks,

Yamamonster600
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 11

Having the same issue with google voice. I have two accounts and one I use the app for the other I get alerts from Gmail, they previously would download and play fine, now they download but I get the can not open file message. Seams like it Just started after recent Google drive and Google quick office updates. 

Canadaboy
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 11

Also having this issue, thought it might have been related to an app so I too did a factory reset. Still is an issue. This is on Stock 4.4.2 Android Nexus 5 - cross posting this phone to your motorola thread because I can not find much about this issue anywhere else. You are not alone with this issue.

Rhonda4
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 11

I just reversed the updates to Google Play Music & Google Quick Office.  Now my .wav attachments work again.

rhanzlick
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 11

Hi Rhonda - thanks for the update; I actually did try to revert Play, Quickoffice and Gmail earlier but didn't have success as you did.  It was still a problem for me.

Regards,

Yamamonster600
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 11

Just took Google play music back to stock and now mine works. Thanks Rhonda