Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stonetica
What's DOS?
Views: 47,448
Message 1 of 29

How can I solve "Camera Busy" error

For the 2nd time, I have started getting an error "Camera Busy: Unable to start. If this repeats....".

The first time, I tried these things (below), to no avail. I know some of them seem off the wall, but others had luck with them on another forum. 

Clear camera Data

Clear camera cache

Force stop camera

Disable camera and re-enable

Turn phone on and off

System recovery "Wipe cache partition"

Deleted Tiny Flashlight app (for which the camera flash also quit working)

Loaded Camera Zoom FX Free app but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with TAKING photos. Didn't fix problem

Deleted Camera Zoom FX Free app

Loaded Google Camera app

Deleted Google Camera app

After posting the above on a forum, I continued trying to solve the problem, making the following changes and somewhere along the line, it fixed the camera problem. 

Active Display is as "off" as I can get it.

Touchless Control is off

Roaming tone is off

Cloud printing is off

HP Print Service Plugin is on

Assist updated

Motorola Contextual Services updated

That was 4 days ago. I used the camera just this morning and it was fine. Then this evening, it is back to being busy. I know that the app "Tiny Flashlight" updated today. I deleted it but still no luck with the camera. I've cleared the camera data, performed a "wipe cache partition", turned my phone off several times, plus other tests. 

Any ideas? 

LSS
802.11n
Views: 47,035
Message 2 of 29

Re: How can I solve "Camera Busy" error

Try going into Google Now, go to settings (3 vertical dots at the very bottom, scroll down), Voice, "Ok Google" detection and uncheck "From Google Search app".  You can use touchless control but the Google Now version conflicts with the Motorola one.  

Stonetica
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 29

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately this didn't work for me. I went into GoogleNow settings. The GoogleNow switch was and still is "off". In Voice, I unchecked "from Google Search App". No Fix. I turned the phone off and on, no fix. I followed up with a "wipe cache partition", no fix. 

And just so I understand, when I go to TouchlessControl, it all seems related to GoogleNow. Is it only the "From Google Search app" that conflicts, or everything related to GoogleNow?

Highlighted
LSS
802.11n
Message 4 of 29

It's voice in general within Google Now (anything with the "Ok Google" only) that conflicts with Motorola's Touchless control.

NolanH
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 29

My camera would't start and after awhile would say restart camera app or something close to that. The times this would happen was progressively getting worse. I tried the wipe cache partition, turning off google now and clearing data and cache of the camera app. Went to Verizon store, they checked it out and sent me another phone and I'm back in business. Other than this issue, the maxx has been a good phone for me

LSS
802.11n
Message 6 of 29

More than likely you have an app conflicting with the camera.  I know the Google Now definately conflicts with video recording and I thought it also conflicted with the camera but it's been a while since I've heard or seen that problem.  If you can, try running the phone in safe mode for a while (in the past people have had a few minor issues with icons and widgets after using safe mode, please search the forums about this).  To go into safe mode the easiest way: press and hold the power button until the pop up window appears asking to shut down the phone, then tap and hold on the shut down option to get the additional option to reboot the phone into safe mode.  After the phone reboots into safe mode, see if your problems continue with the camera.  FYI, safe mode disables third party apps,  if the problem returns while in safe mode, you either have a problem with the default install or the hardware itself.

If the problem goes away in safe mode, try rebooting normally and install the app "aSpotCat". It shows apps by their permissions.  Look for any that use the camera or flash and start removing them one by one.

Stonetica
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 29

Thanks. I tried safe mode (minimal problems - lost a few widgets and my facebook account). But the camera did not work during or after safe mode. I went ahead and installed ASpotCat. It showed pretty basic apps accessing Camera (but thanks for that - I had wondered how I might be able to tell what apps were accessing the camera):

Chrome, Drive, Facebook, Google Play Services, Google Search, Google+, Motorola Migrate, MyVerizonMobile, Translate, YouTube. I'm sure TinyFlashlight WOULD have shown up had I not deleted it already.  

Hate to think it is a hardware problem. This is a replacement phone I got after dropping my old one around the middle of August. The camera worked ok, then it didn't, then it worked ok for 4 days, now it doesn't. That seems more like software, but I suppose it could be hardware. You've been very patient. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 8 of 29

Stonetica said:

Thanks. I tried safe mode (minimal problems - lost a few widgets and my facebook account). But the camera did not work during or after safe mode. I went ahead and installed ASpotCat. It showed pretty basic apps accessing Camera (but thanks for that - I had wondered how I might be able to tell what apps were accessing the camera):

Chrome, Drive, Facebook, Google Play Services, Google Search, Google+, Motorola Migrate, MyVerizonMobile, Translate, YouTube. I'm sure TinyFlashlight WOULD have shown up had I not deleted it already.  

Hate to think it is a hardware problem. This is a replacement phone I got after dropping my old one around the middle of August. The camera worked ok, then it didn't, then it worked ok for 4 days, now it doesn't. That seems more like software, but I suppose it could be hardware. You've been very patient. 

View original

If you were having problems in Safe mode than I suggest you think about getting the phone repaired or replaced. Problems in Safe mode means that there isn't a 3rd party app that is directly causing this problem. Even an FDR will more than likely not help as an FDR only erases user data and not system data. System data is all that runs in Safe mode. Therefore, my suggestion on a repair/replace.

I am sure that Moto/Verizon will want you to try a Factory data reset before they will help you, so if you want to try that before calling/talking to them it would save you a little time on the phone/chat. Hope this helps. Sorry for the problems. 

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Stonetica
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 29

Thanks Joelbon, you are right. I did a FDR earlier last night. I figured "what the heck". And it did not fix the problem. I'll start the process to replace the phone. 

doogald
802.11n
Views: 47,034
Message 10 of 29

LSS said:

Try going into Google Now, go to settings (3 vertical dots at the very bottom, scroll down), Voice, "Ok Google" detection and uncheck "From Google Search app".  You can use touchless control but the Google Now version conflicts with the Motorola one.  

View original

The actual setting that you need to turn off is "From any screen". It's ok to leave it turned on for "From Google Search app" (though I have it turned off myself.) I'm not sure about "From lock screen" - I think that should be ok, but it's probably a good idea to try turning it off there, too.

I imagine safe mode would not help this because the Google search app would be active even in safe mode.