Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go2Doug
What's DOS?
Views: 2,544
Message 1 of 7

Lost front-facing camera

A couple of weeks ago my phone downloaded an Android update, and since then only the rear-facing camera (i.e., the selfie camera) will work. There is no option to switch from the rear to the front-facing camera. I have had the phone for about a year and everything was working fine until the latest update.

Some details about the phone:

• Droid Maxx XT1080

• Carrier: Verizon Wireless

• Android: 4.4.4-4

• System version: 24.13.3.obake-maxx_verizon.Verizon.en.US

I tried going into Settings->All->Camera and clicking 'clear data' and 'clear cache' but that hasn't helped. I also tried downloading a separate Google Camera app, but it can only detect my rear camera as well.

I would appreciate any advice to enable my camera. Thanks.

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lost front-facing camera

I've moved your post to the correct forum. That being said if the camera has failed, then I would recommend giving support a call to look into repair.

-Tom

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
tferr142
Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 7

Just gonna throw this out there: have you tried restarting your phone and/or clearing your cache partition?
doogald
802.11n
Message 4 of 7

If you read this forum, you'll see that losing the rear facing camera is a common issue (and just to correct your nomenclature, the "selfie" camera is known as the front-facing camera, because it's on the front of the device, and the normal camera is on the rear, so is rear-facing.) I think it's almost always due to hardware failure, not to a software issue, but there are a couple of things that you can do to see if is a software issue:

- restart in safe mode. Long press power like usual to shut down the phone, but then long-press the power off control on the screen until you see a prompt to restart in safe mode. If the camera works in safe mode but not normally, you likely have some sort of weird software issue. (That's a good thing, because it is solvable.) I doubt that this will be it, but it's worth a try.

- if that still doesn't work, I would back up all of your photos and videos (and really anything on storage) to a computer, and also back up contacts if you don't have your contacts synced with Google or with Verizon Backup. (You can do that in the People app, hit the menu control, and export your contacts.) Then do a factory data reset and set up your phone from scratch. See if the camera works again. If not, I'd say it is a hardware failure of a camera component and, if the phone is still under warranty, I'd go for a warranty repair/replacement.

I tend to doubt that the recent OTA update caused this problem - I think that the timing was coincidental. The recent OTA was just a small security patch to fix a number of flaws in the Stagefright service on Android.

Go2Doug
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 7

Tferr142: I tried going into Settings->All->Camera and clicking 'clear data' and 'clear cache' but that hasn't helped.

Doogald: Unfortunately, restarting in Safe Mode did not result in the ...*ahem* rear-facing camera. I'm still stuck with only the selfie camera. Thanks for the clarification about the OTA Android update being pretty much harmless. I'm going to take my smart phone to a Verizon Wireless store and see what my options are. I agree with you that the camera probably crapped out at the hardware level, though I can't imagine what could have caused this since it didn't get wet or experience any major impacts. Who knows.

sacilk
Paper Tape
Views: 2,499
Message 6 of 7

Hi, I'm new to forums, but I also lost my front facing camera yesterday. I have not installed any new apps, but I did notice that my flashlight app would not work right before I lost the camera, which now makes sense. I ran my phone in safe mode and had the same problem, so I think it's hardware related. Factory reset did not fix it either. Is there a fix for this problem? My phone is just over a year old. Thanks.

doogald
802.11n
Views: 2,475
Message 7 of 7

@sacilk wrote:

Hi, I'm new to forums, but I also lost my front facing camera yesterday. I have not installed any new apps, but I did notice that my flashlight app would not work right before I lost the camera, which now makes sense. I ran my phone in safe mode and had the same problem, so I think it's hardware related. Factory reset did not fix it either. Is there a fix for this problem? My phone is just over a year old. Thanks.

I never had this problem with my Maxx, but, from what I have read from others who have, sometimes gently pressing in the camera module area on the back of the phone helps. Some people had this problem because of a faulty connection to the camera, and pressing sometimes re-establishes the connection.

You can also try starting in safe mode (long-press power as usual to shut off the phone, but then long-press on the power off button on the screen until you see a message about safe mode.) If the problem goes away in safe mode, it could be caused by an app holding the camera open and preventing the camera app from accessing it. Then you'll just have to figure out which app it was (perhaops the fashlight app?) Otherwise, it's almost surely a hardware failure.