Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID ULTRA & ULTRA MAXX
All Forum Topics
Options

15438 Posts

02-04-2016

US

260 Signins

3971 Page Views

  • Posts: 15438
  • Registered: ‎02-04-2016
  • Location: US
  • Views: 3971
  • Message 41 of 83

Re: Maxx first impressions... good/bad & suggestions

2013-09-08, 1:57 AM


zanshin said:


OK, first my bona fides: Bought the original Droid on the day it was released, and since then, a Droid 2, Droid 3, Bionic, and use a Droid Razr Maxx HD currently and have participated in numerous soaks.  I am a die hard Moto fan.



Now, can someone explain to me how/why the incredible functionality of "Smart Actions" was stripped away and reduced to "Assist" on the new Droids?  A small example:  With "Smart Actions", I have the ability to adjust the time my phone is silent at night, based on the day of the week. I can set it ONCE, and every weekend my phone knows to let me sleep in.



With "Assist" there is NO day of the week functionality.  I would have to remember every Friday night to reset the sleep time, and then again every Sunday night.  How is that an improvement?



And the kicker, is that Google  will NOT let the latest Droids even see "Smart Actions" in the Playstore, let alone download and install it.  



"Smart Actions" is a beautifully functional program.  It's a shame that it's not available to be used on Moto's beautiful new Droids.



As I said above, I'm a big Moto fan. They do make the best phones I've ever used.  If we ask "pretty please", can we get "Smart Actions" to use on the new Droid Maxx that some of us want to buy?



And Matt? You do a seriously great job running the forums.  It's a tough "dream job" I'm sure, but you do it well.


View original


I do believe that there were security problems with the app. It was used to gain root on one line of phones, if I remember right. I think for that reason alone that they could get rid of it. 



I also have read that Google is pushing Motorola to be closer to stock. This could also be a reason why smart Actions are no more. I think there are a great many people in the same boat as you in wanting that app back. I wouldn't hold you breath on it. HTH

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Reply
Options

19232 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2362 Signins

58302 Page Views

  • Posts: 19232
  • Registered: ‎02-03-2016
  • Location: US
  • Views: 58302
  • Message 42 of 83

Re: Maxx first impressions... good/bad & suggestions

2013-09-08, 14:02 PM


zanshin said:


OK, first my bona fides: Bought the original Droid on the day it was released, and since then, a Droid 2, Droid 3, Bionic, and use a Droid Razr Maxx HD currently and have participated in numerous soaks.  I am a die hard Moto fan.



Now, can someone explain to me how/why the incredible functionality of "Smart Actions" was stripped away and reduced to "Assist" on the new Droids?  A small example:  With "Smart Actions", I have the ability to adjust the time my phone is silent at night, based on the day of the week. I can set it ONCE, and every weekend my phone knows to let me sleep in.



With "Assist" there is NO day of the week functionality.  I would have to remember every Friday night to reset the sleep time, and then again every Sunday night.  How is that an improvement?



And the kicker, is that Google  will NOT let the latest Droids even see "Smart Actions" in the Playstore, let alone download and install it.  



"Smart Actions" is a beautifully functional program.  It's a shame that it's not available to be used on Moto's beautiful new Droids.



As I said above, I'm a big Moto fan. They do make the best phones I've ever used.  If we ask "pretty please", can we get "Smart Actions" to use on the new Droid Maxx that some of us want to buy?



And Matt? You do a seriously great job running the forums.  It's a tough "dream job" I'm sure, but you do it well.


View original


Hey, thanks for the kind words.



Even internally there were a lot of comments like these -- what happened to Smart Actions? But I understand why. Smart Actions was very complicated, to the point that most people simply didn't try to use them. I can understand trying to get (pulling numbers out of my hat here) 40% of people to use two or three of the most effective settings vs. having 5% using 10 or 12 settings. 



We have some work to do on Assist to make what's in there more foolproof. I don't know if there are plans to add features over time. I can ask.



In the meantime, there are a lot of folks who swear by Tasker.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Reply
Options

20 Posts

01-15-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

  • Posts: 20
  • Registered: ‎01-15-2012
  • Location: United States
  • Views: 0
  • Message 43 of 83

Re: Maxx first impressions... good/bad & suggestions

2013-09-10, 2:07 AM


Love my Maxx too. The always on voice controls are simply amazing. What is even more amazing is the failure so far to market these phones on that killer feature. My two biggest complaint with the phone so far is the volume of the phone when it is pressed against the ear. This has been variable on my phone regardless of the volume setting. Even at its best, it could be a little louder. At worst, I need to switch to speaker which is fabulous. I may have defective phone and will be waiting to hear if anyone else is having this problem.

 



The other complaint may be of my making, but I have had a lot of butt dialing and text message drafts with random characters to random people. I decided to put a pattern lock on the phone even though this kills one of the killer features. Unfortunately I can't use one of the other killer features to unlock it. Moto should have a voice unlock setting in the security settings. They already distinguish your voice and I really could care less about securing my phone, I just want it dead to the touch until I tell it otherwise. OK Google Now should be an option for wake up from a lock with the appropriate disclaimer. 

Reply
Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

US

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

  • Posts: 13997
  • Registered: ‎02-02-2016
  • Location: US
  • Views: 2684
  • Message 44 of 83

Re: Maxx first impressions... good/bad & suggestions

2013-09-10, 2:22 AM


brkramer said:


Love my Maxx too. The always on voice controls are simply amazing. What is even more amazing is the failure so far to market these phones on that killer feature. My two biggest complaint with the phone so far is the volume of the phone when it is pressed against the ear. This has been variable on my phone regardless of the volume setting. Even at its best, it could be a little louder. At worst, I need to switch to speaker which is fabulous. I may have defective phone and will be waiting to hear if anyone else is having this problem.

 



The other complaint may be of my making, but I have had a lot of butt dialing and text message drafts with random characters to random people. I decided to put a pattern lock on the phone even though this kills one of the killer features. Unfortunately I can't use one of the other killer features to unlock it. Moto should have a voice unlock setting in the security settings. They already distinguish your voice and I really could care less about securing my phone, I just want it dead to the touch until I tell it otherwise. OK Google Now should be an option for wake up from a lock with the appropriate disclaimer. 


View original


There is a thread here on earpiece volume that you may want to visit.



I believe that a current bluetooth connection will allow you to do certain functions despite a PIN lock....

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Reply
Options

20 Posts

01-15-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

  • Posts: 20
  • Registered: ‎01-15-2012
  • Location: United States
  • Views: 0
  • Message 45 of 83

Re: Maxx first impressions... good/bad & suggestions

2013-09-10, 12:26 PM


Thanks. Glad to see I am not alone. The sound level is a major problem. I am distressed to learn they will not be fixing it for a couple of months. As far as a current bluetooth connection: There is an option to completely disable locking while a bluetooth connection exists with "trusted devices". You select which bluetooth device is trrusted and it will not lock when connected to that device. That helps a lot in the car. Motorola really seems to giving car safety  a high priority. Thank you. 

Reply
Options

19232 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2362 Signins

58302 Page Views

  • Posts: 19232
  • Registered: ‎02-03-2016
  • Location: US
  • Views: 58302
  • Message 46 of 83

Re: Maxx first impressions... good/bad & suggestions

2013-09-10, 14:42 PM


brkramer said:


Love my Maxx too. The always on voice controls are simply amazing. What is even more amazing is the failure so far to market these phones on that killer feature. 


View original


If you haven't seen the new Moto X commercials -- still just on YouTube -- check them out. They are extremely funny. (The first one posted already has more than 2M views.)

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Reply
Options

489 Posts

11-08-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

  • Posts: 489
  • Registered: ‎11-08-2010
  • Location: United States
  • Views: 0
  • Message 47 of 83

Re: Maxx first impressions... good/bad & suggestions

2013-09-12, 20:33 PM


brkramer said:


Love my Maxx too. The always on voice controls are simply amazing. What is even more amazing is the failure so far to market these phones on that killer feature. My two biggest complaint with the phone so far is the volume of the phone when it is pressed against the ear. This has been variable on my phone regardless of the volume setting. Even at its best, it could be a little louder. At worst, I need to switch to speaker which is fabulous. I may have defective phone and will be waiting to hear if anyone else is having this problem.

 



The other complaint may be of my making, but I have had a lot of butt dialing and text message drafts with random characters to random people. I decided to put a pattern lock on the phone even though this kills one of the killer features. Unfortunately I can't use one of the other killer features to unlock it. Moto should have a voice unlock setting in the security settings. They already distinguish your voice and I really could care less about securing my phone, I just want it dead to the touch until I tell it otherwise. OK Google Now should be an option for wake up from a lock with the appropriate disclaimer. 


View original


 



+1



being in the vicinity of my car and it's blutooth is deemed secure enough to unlock it but our voice is not? 

Reply
Options

62 Posts

08-26-2013

0 Signins

0 Page Views

  • Posts: 62
  • Registered: ‎08-26-2013
  • Location:
  • Views: 0
  • Message 48 of 83

Re: Maxx first impressions... good/bad & suggestions

2013-09-12, 21:25 PM


Loving my MAXX so far, just have a few issues.



1 Motorala Connect just is not working for me now. Worked the first day and everything I have tried since including changing accounts has failed. Would be a great feature if I could get it to work.



2. I am having the same issue with the volume fading in and out when I am on the phone. I thought it might be losing a connection, but maybe not.



3. The final one I find strange in the contacts you can set up a group. I then went to text that group and I have to select each individual separately. I would rather not get an outside texting app, but this may be what I have to do.



Believe me these are minor issues at the moment to me. The phone does everything else I want including unbelievable life. My old phone was down to lasting 1.5 hours it was an HTC Rezound. The new one I get 48 hours no problem and that is with listening to Pandora about 6 hours a day. I love it.

Reply
Options

20 Posts

01-15-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

  • Posts: 20
  • Registered: ‎01-15-2012
  • Location: United States
  • Views: 0
  • Message 49 of 83

Re: Maxx first impressions... good/bad & suggestions

2013-09-12, 21:58 PM


michaelk said:



 



being in the vicinity of my car and it's blutooth is deemed secure enough to unlock it but our voice is not? 


View original


 


Yes, It is a bit difficult to understand why that feature got left out. Apple's killer feature for the 5S is a fingerprint scanner to unlock and here Motorola bests them by a good degree and doesn't use the technology already built into the phone. There obviously has to be backup unlock in case you get a cold or something but the tech is already there...?  


 


 

Reply
Options

489 Posts

11-08-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

  • Posts: 489
  • Registered: ‎11-08-2010
  • Location: United States
  • Views: 0
  • Message 50 of 83

Re: Maxx first impressions... good/bad & suggestions

2013-09-12, 22:06 PM


someone posted that they could get their family (I think even male and female) to  get "ok google now" to work.  So there could be some risk- but maybhe no more than someone who syncs it to a BT headset, fitbit, etc and gets that stolen and the phone.   But a disclaimer in there and give us a choice.



 



Personally it wont understand me when i have "morning voice" when i first wake up. So I fell comfy enough that it's "good enough"

Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete