Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userdd6767
Punch Card
Views: 4,125
Message 1 of 31

Motorola ID "Authentication Problem" notification

I have been getting a message in my notifications every couple of days that's called Authentication problem. Below it says: Touch to sign in with Motorola ID. When I touch the notification to see what happens next, it just goes back to the home screen (and presumably authenticates something). My phone otherwise appears to be working fine... Yes, I got the update.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 4,119
Message 2 of 31

Re: Motorola ID "Authentication Problem" notification

There's another thread that talks about this same issue, but it might be in the X forum.

Apparently, the phone periodically "checks in" as part of the Android Device Manager that allows you to locate/lock/wipe the phone if it's been lost, stolen or misplaced.  If you lose your signal when the phone is supposed to check in, you'll get the error you're seeing.  If touching the notification signs it back in, then there isn't a problem.  

So, have you been somewhere where your signal is not as consistent as it has been in the past?  Or maybe a tower problem?

userdd6767
Punch Card
Message 3 of 31

Thanks, crystallet, but no, I'm not going anywhere where I am losing a good signal. As a matter of fact, it just happened again, and I have almost full 4G signal at home... Where I've been all day. Smiley Sad And I've NEVER had this happen before the update (and I've been to some pretty remote locations).
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 31

Here's the link to the thread in the X forum where this issue was discussed.  It is an annoyance, it's happening to a bunch of people, but it doesn't sound like a serious issue.  It also sounds like it happened before KitKat.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

userdd6767
Punch Card
Message 5 of 31

I understand, and thank you for the information. But as a point of troubleshooting, I think it's helpful to know that this is a 100% new issue for me since mid-December. I'm in the tech field myself and not an ordinary user, so I know that detail is important.
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 31

I agree that, in troubleshooting, all data points are important.  Perhaps the next update will eliminate the problem.

As I said in the X thread, I saw the problem once, touched it, it went away, and I haven't seen it since.  

One of the forum mods, mk1151, made some suggestions in that thread that you might want to try.  I think one of them was changing your password, which, while an excellent practice, can be a pain.  The point of that, though, was not to fix the problem but to prove that you were, in fact, signing in.  His other suggestion, I think, was to disconnect, and then reconnect the Motorola Device ID.  I'm pretty sure, that people tried that and it did not stop the problem.  Maybe it's worth a shot.

userdd6767
Punch Card
Message 7 of 31

I will read the thread when I get back to s computer, and appreciate your taking the time to reiterate the key points. I agree that it's not a critical issue, but I'd found it odd - especially given the timing. I've had no other real issues other than normal quirks that are too be expected. Again, thank you.
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 8 of 31

You're welcome! Just wish I had a real answer for you...

MontanaDave
Paper Tape
Message 9 of 31

I disagree with this not being a "critical issue". 

I have two-factor authentication turned on, so every time I get this notification, I am prompted for my password, then prompted to login "on the web", and finally asked for the 6-digit code.  I have to switch back and forth between the Authenticator app and the login process in order to reauthenticate my phone.  It is terribly tedious, especially if the web login takes a couple of seconds too long, and the 6-digit authentication code times out.  In which case, I have to start all over again.

I live in an area with spotty cell coverage, so this happens 5-6 times every single day.  Since all my most useful apps are linked to my Google Account, I can't do anything (browse the web in Chrome, read email, update apps in the Play store, etc) without having to constantly reauthenticate.

I have already turned off all the Motorola Connect features, which reduced the frequency from every 10 minutes to just a few times a day.  Still this is making my phone terribly hard to use.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

- Dave

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 10 of 31

Maybe you just need to turn it off.  

I am confused about one thing, though: why are your Google apps not working?  Your Motorola ID does not have to be the same as your Google accounts, although it can be, and you don't have to have a Motorola ID in place.  I could be wrong, but maybe what's happening is the Motorola ID is the first to recognize the loss of cell signal, and when it can't authenticate you, you can't get to the web either.  You could try signing out of Chrome and see if it gets to the web that way.  If you still can't browse, it's the weak signal causing the problem.

Sorry about the inconvenience of the two-step authentication, but you can always turn that off, if it would make your life a bit easier.  

I'm guessing the app pings on a schedule so that the "last known location" is as accurate as possible.  Programming it for less frequent pings could often send you, or the police on a wild goose chase if the phone were lost.

I'm sure it feels like a critical issue to you, but I'd hate to lose my phone, go to the website, and find the phone's last known location happened yesterday, or 8 hours ago.  That's not terribly helpful in finding it.  

If you go somewhere with a strong cell signal, does it still happen?