01-13-2012

US

12 Signins

218 Page Views

• Views: 218
  • Message 21 of 32

Re: New Griffin Docks

2013-09-06, 0:38 AM

I just had the new Griffin Docks arrive at my home, since they can't be purchased at a local VZW store (they would have to order them too).

I haven't gotten time with the car dock yet, but to whomever said the Desk Dock is very intolerant of having a case on your phone, they're completely right.  The Bedside dock for my previous Bionic (Motorola OEM) was perfect, whether you had a sleeve case on the phone or not, two inserts that matched perfectly.  The box says "compatible with all but the bulkiest cases" --that's complete hogwash.  The desk dock will fit the MAXX when it is naked.  Any case makes it take work, if it works at all.

With Verizon's standard case (it has the slim, snap-fit case that goes in the holster) getting the phone to dock is a pain in the rear, regardless of which insert is there to hold the phone in place.  Good luck getting the phone in place in the dark (I mean, I use it as a bedside dock) without chewing up the charging port, which fits very loosely.  It makes me really wish someone had invented a wireless-charging Droid MAXX dock to do this.

I haven't tried the car dock yet; if it's not any better, I have to say I'm disappointed by Google/Motorola's decision to cheap out instead of designing and building the gear themselves.  Accessories made Motorola stand out from the field; this pairs poorly with what happens to be a great phone.

Options

1799 Posts

08-22-2010

US

221 Signins

3080 Page Views

• Views: 3080
  • Message 22 of 32

2013-09-06, 12:29 PM

AuntKris said:

I actually for my car use purchased a Panvise Custom Mount that mounts to my dash. but they sell universal ones too.

http://www.panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&page=full&--eqskudatarq=241 is the part that holds my phone and the part that mounts to my dash is http://www.panavise.com/pages_addons/indashFimage.html?modelID=3305261805409270&partn=75134-305.

l drive an 05 Subaru Legacy GT but they make these for all makes and models. I like it because I can adjust it to any phone someone wants to drop in there and my car charger from verizon fits right in without any issues.

It doesn't put the phone into any sort of modes. But if you've downloaded a 3rd party app I bet when you get in the car you could just tap the app to start it?

IDK it's an option.

When i comes to Desk Docks I funded the Tylt Vu Kickstarter Fund and I am waiting on my Green Tylt Vu Wireless charging dock.  it's the perfect desk dock because it's wireless and tilts the phone at 45° either landscape or portrait. it's output is also something like 5amps.  and it has 3 charging coils in it so it will charge in whatever position you put it in. http://www.tylt.com/vu/  They are currently out of stock because they are fixing some software bugs they found in the last round of quality testing. I believe they are still on track to start shipping the kickstarter orders by september 24th. Some Staples and verizon stores may have them but it's old buggy software.  if you buy one from these companies though you can contact Tylt directly and they will exchange your unit for one with new software as soon as it's ready.

View original

I said my piece earlier in this thread, https://forums.motorola.com/posts/e19c51c6da?page=1 , but I have to say that the TYLT VU I recieved on 8/22 has been excellent.  Totally satisfied and is a perfect combination desk and wireless charger dock.  Worth the extra cash in the long run and I don't know if I was lucky or got a unit made later but no software problems.  It works as advertised.  I got it from Verizon so if any bugs do show up later, doesn't look like they will, I am sure they will replace it..

Lew

Options

1799 Posts

08-22-2010

US

221 Signins

3080 Page Views

• Views: 3080
  • Message 23 of 32

2013-09-06, 12:41 PM

Chiplg said:

I have to say that I am very happy.  Happy to see that I'm not the only one seriously dissapointed by this poor excuse for a dock that is.  Seriously, I would not have bought this phone if I had know how bad it was going to be.  Of all my accessories, the car dock is the most important.  My Droid X and Droid RAZR docks were great.  The car dock on the RAZR was great too.  I got an app from the Play Store, and I also have the Google Car home that I downloaded and installed from the APK.  Google messed up the home button function though, and they did it on purpose.  It goes to the standard launcher, not the car dock app.  I've found a potential workaround that I'll test soon to take the phone back to the Car app on Home button press.

The dock itself is very poorly constructed, and not well thought out.  The ball is 14.7mm!!!!!!  This is beyond my comprehention.  Motorola, Garmin, Arkon, Magellan, and others ALL USE 17mm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have a dash mounted 17mm ball that is now useless.  I am looking for a comparable ball to use, but I may end up selling this poorly constructed dock and getting a generic dock.  Seriously, if I have to use a generic dock I'm going to be upset.  This is probably the last Motorola phone I'll ever buy.  I'll at least wait to see the car dock in person next time.   The phone is not secure either.  It moves in the dock as it is adjusted.  Not the same quality that Motorla used to have.  I'd be ambarrased to have this product on my website as the official accessory to my device.  I'm very concerned it will get more loose over time, not to mention the USB connector moves by design when I put the phone in or take it out. 

Of all the things above, the ball size is by far the worst, and it would have been more than enough to make me wait for another phone if I had known.  The car dock is that important to me.

View original

http://www.amazon.com/Aduro-Universal-Dashboard-Windshield-Revolution/dp/B008ALV0V4

Check this mount, Aduro U-Grip Plus.  Works great for me and the ball fits my old Garmin bean bag dash mount that I have had for years. Just use the screw on ring that comes with the dock on the old mount.  Maxx navigation works great with it, does not need dock mode.

Options

4825 Posts

03-15-2011

US

19 Signins

269 Page Views

• Views: 269
  • Message 24 of 32

2013-09-06, 13:15 PM

Has anyone used the cupholder style?

I've had a rental this past week and since I don't have a car dock I've been resting the phone in the cupholder. At first I thought I'd hate it but I've actually come to find it quite nice for easy reading of navigation. It bounces around a bit but they make custom cupholder mounts.

From my research apparently there are also some states now outlawing anything mounted to your windshield.

Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

US

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Views: 2684
  • Message 25 of 32

2013-09-06, 14:49 PM

mk1151 said:

Has anyone used the cupholder style?

I've had a rental this past week and since I don't have a car dock I've been resting the phone in the cupholder. At first I thought I'd hate it but I've actually come to find it quite nice for easy reading of navigation. It bounces around a bit but they make custom cupholder mounts.

From my research apparently there are also some states now outlawing anything mounted to your windshield.

View original

I've always used the cupholder method :)  Device is easy to see, easy to grab if needed, and costs me $0 :)

Does the screen rotate 180 degrees so you can have the plug on the top?  That would be my only concern with the microUSB on the base of the device....

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Options

15438 Posts

02-04-2016

US

260 Signins

3971 Page Views

• Views: 3971
  • Message 26 of 32

2013-09-07, 6:21 AM

I got the Griffin docks as well and I too am disappointed in them. I can get the car dock to charge, but it takes a bit of rangling. I have to push and prod it to get it to start working. Once it is charging than the screen will stay on. It will also allow me to have the phone in landscape mode.

I can put the phone into the dock one handed, but it is nothing like the Motorola made docks. It is more difficult. I would return them, but I don't want the hassle. I will remember this though and I will never (NEVER) buy another Griffin dock for as long as I live. In my next life, I hope I remember it as well. :)

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Options

489 Posts

11-08-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 27 of 32

2013-09-11, 17:32 PM

my vote for also -1 on the car dock.

same beefs as everyone else.

annoying that it doesn't fit the 'normal' verizon ball.

Doesn't charge without smashing the ends together- hopefully not damaging the phone. 

"case friendly"- not if you want to charge.

can't slide it in or out easily with one hand like old moto docks. 

Options

3 Posts

08-31-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 28 of 32

2013-09-14, 15:23 PM

I posted my solution here http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-maxx/307153-yes-there-car-dock-built-charging.html for mounting the Griffin dock to an AMPS plate.

Here is pic to show the final solution.  The link shows more.

Options

3 Posts

10-03-2013

2 Signins

34 Page Views

• Message 29 of 32

2013-10-03, 1:26 AM

I just received the navigation dock last Friday and I must agree with everyone on how poorly this thing is made. Obviously having the same issues. it is nearly impossible to mount into the usb connector and it will not charge. It took 3 days before I got the prompt to set up the hands free/ dock mode which is just the google now mode and it doesn't securely hold my phone. I mounted it vertically on the left side of the windshield and it has fallen out of the holder now atleast 5 times. One time I had my window down and the phone fell out of the dock and bounced of my dash right on top the driver door luckily falling back into the car and not out the window. This dock has got to be one of the worse things Motorola has endorsed and I am highly disappointed that Motorola did not manufacture their own as in previous versions. I loved the docks I had with my original Droid and my Droid Razr. This new navigation dock is a complete embarrasment for such a superior phone.

C'MON MOTO.. give us the dock this phone deserves.

Options

10 Posts

04-05-2012

United States

5 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 30 of 32

2013-10-07, 19:27 PM

Add me to the list of frustrated Motorola customers that is really disappointed in the quality of the Griffin car docks. The Motorola brand car dock for the Droid Razr Maxx was perfectly suited to my needs. I wish they would have continued the line of great products that I faithfully purchased for my last smartphone. I already emailed Motorola to express my concerns and I encourage others to do so as well. They said they currently had no plans to make a vehicle dock but said she would pass my feedback on to the proper department. My previous dock had the following, none of which are available on the new one.

-Audio over USB. One cable (which was included) plugged into the dock then split off at the end near the charger for both charging and music playback through an aux cable (also included). Really cleaned up the dash instead of having 2 wires at opposite ends of the phone.

-Put the phone into an actual car mode that had a large easy to use button interface (now we have to use CarHomeUltra for this capability)

-Car finder app

-Dual usb port rapid car charger included

-Opening where the camera lens is so the phone could be used as a dash cam. (Very nice for use with the Torque app)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete