Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lebem
Punch Card
Views: 986
Message 41 of 411

Re: Official Lollipop (Android 5.x) News here

joelbon said:

Sorry that you are feeling antsy, but Motorola doesn't give out this information. You might find something from an engineer on Google+, but you won't see anything here unless it gets pushed out first.

View original

I do, of course, realize this. Updated information is merely my slightly less unrealistic dream than the previously mentioned notion of free Droid Turbos. It will happen when it happens, this wait just feels longer than the Kit Kat update (I don't know whether it actually has been longer.)

along541
Punch Card
Message 42 of 411

I think moto need to get there prioritys straight you get the guys who buy $100 to $200 phones before someone with a $500 to $600 phone dont make sense like Samsung and htc they gave there highest paying phones and then down the line not start from the bottom and android lollipop people is not very buggy anymore its been out for 5 months u act like it came out yesterday
LSS
802.11n
Message 43 of 411

Good news on Android 5.1

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/09/android-5-1-announced-and-official/

Seeing that "HD Voice" is part of 5.1, Motorola has probably been waiting for this release due to the Maxx already having Advanced calling in KitKat (something the Moto X 2014 doesn't have with it's version of Lollipop).

along541
Punch Card
Message 44 of 411

If Samsung figured it out moto can to cuz galaxy s5 has advanced calling and its been updated to lollipop
LRanch
What's DOS?
Message 45 of 411

This version was released on November 3, 2014 according to Wikipedia and here it is 5 months later and there is still a conversation as to when and now a few comments, although joking (maybe?), about if it will be deployed. What is it that the providers, ATT, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile, have to change in the code in order for it to be released? The other two phone operating systems do not appear to have this challenge or am I just completely mistaken? I have yet to understand or to read an understandable article on why this operating system is so complex and fragmented that it cannot be deployed in unison on those models that are supported. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 46 of 411

I used to have a link to an article that explained the update process in detail, but I can't find it now.  As I recall, the code released by Android only works on Nexus products. Phone manufacturers then have to get "hooks" from the chip manufacturers to make the software work on their hardware, along with possible wifi and bluetooth certifications.  Carrier branded models have to be certified to the network (I understand this part of the testing process must be repeated in different parts of the country), and then there's the carrier specific bloat that has to be added in (regretfully).  It's a complex process, and if each stage doesn't go right the first time, I'm guessing there's a bunch of setbacks and re-trials.

Anything I've ever read about it says it's a lot of work.

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Message 47 of 411

along541 said:

If Samsung figured it out moto can to cuz galaxy s5 has advanced calling and its been updated to lollipopView original

One thing to keep in mind is the number of phones each company is updating.  I believe (and certainly could be wrong here) that Sammy is only updating the Galaxy Note 4, Note Edge and GS5 to Lollipop.  Whereas Moto is updating the Moto G, Moto E, Moto X Gen 2, Moto X Gen 1, Droid Turbo and Droid Maxx.  That's a lot more phones to get the code correct and test before rolling out the update.  Based on the number of phones Moto has said will get Lollipop and the number already updated...I think they are doing a pretty good job.

~Scott
opt05
Token Ring
Message 48 of 411

crystallet said:

I used to have a link to an article that explained the update process in detail, but I can't find it now.  As I recall, the code released by Android only works on Nexus products. Phone manufacturers then have to get "hooks" from the chip manufacturers to make the software work on their hardware, along with possible wifi and bluetooth certifications.  Carrier branded models have to be certified to the network (I understand this part of the testing process must be repeated in different parts of the country), and then there's the carrier specific bloat that has to be added in (regretfully).  It's a complex process, and if each stage doesn't go right the first time, I'm guessing there's a bunch of setbacks and re-trials.

Anything I've ever read about it says it's a lot of work.

View original

HTC explained their entire process in an infograph a few years ago, which I'm assuming applies almost identically to all Android manufacturers.

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Message 49 of 411

opt05 said:

HTC explained their entire process in an infograph a few years ago, which I'm assuming applies almost identically to all Android manufacturers.

View original

Very informative, thanks for sharing that!

~Scott
along541
Punch Card
Message 50 of 411

Who ever said samsung is updateing just a few phone is wrong the actually updateing alot of phones moto has only updated one true phone and if u heard me correctly i said at least they have the prioritys straight moto e and moto g aren't shit more important phones than that shit i was gonna get the gs5 but got this phone cuz thought it was gonna update fast but fuck was i wrong