Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
appletonpunk
What's DOS?
Views: 760
Message 1 of 20

Please answer moto

Can Motorola please release a statement as to whether or not the droid maxx will see lollipop? It's not fair to any customer who bought one and was PROMISED the upgrade to lollipop. It doesn't matter if we do or not, just some clarity would be nice.
Arcomador
Paper Tape
Message 2 of 20

Re: Please answer moto

I think this will be the one and only Motorola Phone I will ever purchase. When I purchased it Google still owned Motorola. Now that Lenovo owns Motorola, I have serious doubts about the company as a whole. I will probably purchase a handset from another manufacturer due to the lack in updates/security support from Lenovo/Motorola. Maybe something with out a hard locked bootloader. My biggest complaint for the 2013 Droid line is the Hard locked bootloader (unless you bought a not advertised "Developer Edition"). If they would just give me a way to unlock that I'd be happy.

Highlighted
mwmmikey
Punch Card
Message 3 of 20

Arcomador said:

I think this will be the one and only Motorola Phone I will ever purchase. When I purchased it Google still owned Motorola. Now that Lenovo owns Motorola, I have serious doubts about the company as a whole. I will probably purchase a handset from another manufacturer due to the lack in updates/security support from Lenovo/Motorola. Maybe something with out a hard locked bootloader. My biggest complaint for the 2013 Droid line is the Hard locked bootloader (unless you bought a not advertised "Developer Edition"). If they would just give me a way to unlock that I'd be happy.

View original

**EDIT: Apparently this isn't available for the XT1050m. Does anyone know if the Dev Edition bootloader unlock will work? 

This link should help you unlock the bootloader... this will indeed void your warranty (which I assume isn't an issue anymore).

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 20

IMHO, we, as consumers, are responsible for the purchases we make.  Whatever is most important to me about any purchase is where I focus my research.  

It wasn't hidden that there was a developer edition of the Droid Maxx.  A Google search on "unlock bootloader Motorola will, with one click, lead you to this page, which lists all of the devices with unlockable bootloaders.  And, as we all know, if unlocking the bootloader is an important feature for us, Verizon is not the carrier of choice.

If a phone has an unlockable bootloader, the unlock page should work.  If the phone has an unlockable bootloader and the page doesn't work, please post in this thread.

Arcomador
Paper Tape
Message 5 of 20

Well on the OP's point. The update has been stuck at "Pending partner support" for more than a year. That's basically telling me that Lenovo nor Verizon wish to update the phone. Why would I stick with a company which doesnt want to update its hardware or support it within 1 year of release (other than minor security updates). And at present I am stuck with Verizon because nothing else picks up where I live.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 20

Everyone's opinion is worthy of consideration.  Mine differs somewhat, but it's just my opinion, and it's that Motorola can't move forward with the update until it has partner support.  Please remember that, in building and updating a phone, there are more partners than just the carriers.  Support is required from Qualcomm and from the suppliers of other chips as well.

doogald
802.11n
Message 7 of 20

crystallet said:

Everyone's opinion is worthy of consideration.  Mine differs somewhat, but it's just my opinion, and it's that Motorola can't move forward with the update until it has partner support.  Please remember that, in building and updating a phone, there are more partners than just the carriers.  Support is required from Qualcomm and from the suppliers of other chips as well.

View original

While the very similar 2013 Moto X did receive Lollipop, so the 2013 Droids should be able to get it, I think that people forget that the 2013 Droids had phones with very different hardware - capacitive buttons, unlike the Moto X; wireless charging on the Maxx and Mini; the LCD display on Mini; and all of the "bloatware" that has to be updated likely means that you can't just take what was done for the Moto X and apply it to the 2013 Droids.

That said, as Motorola needs to apply their resources to getting Marshmallow updates for their more recent phones, at this point I tend to doubt as more time goes by that the 2013 Droids will get the update. It's a shame, really, because as recently as a few months ago Verizon was still selling the Maxx to people presumably getting them either on two year contracts or two year payment plans, and they are *still* selling the Mini the same way. These people I think deserve to know what Motorola and Verizon are planning definitively.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 8 of 20

I agree.  Communication is critical.  In the end, I'm just another consumer like everyone else in here.

GHOSTEST
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 20

Three words. "Class. Action. Lawsuit." People were told when they bought the phone they'd get the update. That's a misleading business practice. 

Droidtolo
Fanfold Paper
Message 10 of 20

I too thought we were going from Kitkat to Lollipop back in Dec 2014, still waiting (I count 12-13 months so far).  I was sold on the pure android experiences when this maxx/ultra/mini came out and google was in bed with Motorola.  I still love my phone for the battery and wireless charging among other great features, but am truly disappointed as so many others have been complaining about in lack of a commitment to upgrade, especially with any kind of timeline. I had anxiously waited for the Turbo 2 announcement  to roll around and watched their anticipated announcement. As I watched the verizon / moto live stream by Verizon and Motorola  executives, I kept waiting and waiting for them to mention " and this great device also comes with the latest OS" NOT!!!  If you search for it and watch it, you could almost feel their discomfort with their in-ability to say it included Marshmallow. But on the plus side they have a new phone with shatterproof glass and this same topic will probably be mirrored there by those poor souls there too (LOL) stuck waiting for partner support. While I like to move ahead with the latest technology, my loyalty to Moto has been shattered and non-breakable glass can't fix that. I just checked the Marshmallow thread on Turbo 2 and see lots of grumbling going on there too and that's their new baby that came out AFTER marshmallow was released. It's a shame that my energy has shifted from enjoying and participating in soak tests and enjoying the comradery of the fellow reviewers to whining.about the lack of them.