United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 71 of 79

Re: Pocket Dialing Anyone??

2013-10-23, 2:42 AM

All of you experiencing pocket dialing, app opening, etc with the Droid Maxx:

Let me offer you a suggestion. I was posting in this forum earlier complaining about the same thing. I decided active notifications wasn't that important to me compared to having the phone do all sorts of crazy things when you don't want it to. I'm not sure when it was, but I turned off active notifications. If you are running without security and turn off active notifications, there is very minor chance that any pocket misbehavior is going to be the phone's fault. Many weeks later, I have yet to have any pocket misadventures since disabling active notifications.

Being neurotic and curious, the fact that I was missing out on a major feature of the phone kept wearing on me. This Saturday I turned back on active notifications. I have yet to experience any difficulties. Its only Tuesday, so the week is young but I am going to leave on AN. 

I have a hypothesis and only time will tell whether there is any validity to it in my case. My theory is this: When you get a new phone, old habits die until they become new habits. I had gotten used to manually locking the screen of my Galaxy Nexus. I assumed that's what I was doing with my new phone and I still think there is a fair chance, I was. There is also a fair chance I wasn't locking the screen. There was also something else going on that could explain it. I was telling everyone in the world about my new phone. I would frequently say the magic words just telling people about the function. I have since learned you don't say those those words unless you mean it. Even in your pocket the phone will hear you. Guess what happens when the phone hears you. Many weeks later, two things have changed with my behavior. 

#1) I have learned to lock the phone reliably. My Otterbox Defender is a nice case, but it requires a lot of force to activate the lock or unlock. That's good and bad. It doesn't unlock in your pocket, which is good, but it is difficult to both lock and unlock 

#2) I have learned to shut up and not say the words "OK Google Now" unless I mean it. If I describe the function to someone, I am very quiet with the words. It doesn't take much of a volume to have your pocket come alive. 

I really can't take advantage of the notifications too often, because most of the time I can't read them. I use reading glasses and when I put on my reading glasses, I just look through the phone. The part about the active notifications that I can use, is the simplicity of unlocking the phone. No pushing that hard to press Otterbox button. Just a vertical swipe is all that is needed. I hope I am right and only time will tell. Its been four days now and I have yet to be aware of any incident where the phone is active in my pocket. I'll let you know if I find out differently, but that is a significant amount of time because I wouldn't go a day before without having some pocket misadventure until AN was turned off. 

What I would suggest is anyone experiencing this problem, particularly if you are a new owner, try a few days with AN turned off. It may actually take a few weeks without it, before you are trained properly, but you will get in the habit of reliably locking your screen. If something happens in your pocket, then it is probably your fault, not the phone's. 

In the meantime, I am really enjoying this phone. I have yet to have any reboots, lockups, etc. and it is really fun to use. Its the best phone I have ever owned. I still suffer the low volume problem with calls and the earpiece, but that is solvable with a minor press of the volume down button. I was stupid enough to sign up for the Verizon Edge program and I am regretting it even more, because I can't imagine a phone in ten months that I would want more than this one. I'm counting on Google/Motorola to prove me wrong. 
Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

US

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Views: 2684
  • Message 72 of 79

2013-10-23, 3:14 AM
Nice post.
Your theory sounds like it has a lot of merit. Keep us posted on if your
theory gains support over the next few days :-)
Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Options

391 Posts

06-23-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 73 of 79

2013-10-25, 13:08 PM

Not sure if this is related but I have noticed a few times while my phone is on my wireless charger, the thing just turns on of a morning.

The reason I even notice this is because when it turns on, it lights up the room (early morning while it's still dark out).  It usually turns right back off fairly quickly. 

This morning it happened just as I was getting out of bed and I was able to look over at it.  It wasn't a notification, it was just on/awake as if I had pressed the power button.  It was sitting at my lock screen.  There wasn't any notice about being fully charged or anything, just waked itself up.

If this is happening randomly like this, it could explain why these phones do all of these activities when in someone's pocket.

Options

270 Posts

11-17-2009

US

21 Signins

320 Page Views

• Views: 320
  • Message 74 of 79

2013-10-28, 17:08 PM

LSS said:

Not sure if this is related but I have noticed a few times while my phone is on my wireless charger, the thing just turns on of a morning.

View original

I'm seeing this too.

I've also seen the phone lit up inside the holster as I open it up to pull the phone out.

Options

19383 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2394 Signins

59483 Page Views

• Views: 59483
  • Message 75 of 79

2013-10-29, 15:21 PM

LSS said:

The reason I even notice this is because when it turns on, it lights up the room (early morning while it's still dark out).  It usually turns right back off fairly quickly. 

This morning it happened just as I was getting out of bed and I was able to look over at it.  It wasn't a notification, it was just on/awake as if I had pressed the power button.  It was sitting at my lock screen.  There wasn't any notice about being fully charged or anything, just waked itself up.

If this is happening randomly like this, it could explain why these phones do all of these activities when in someone's pocket.

View original

Interesting, thanks. Are you using Assist for Sleep? Wondering if it is waking up when the Sleep segment ends.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

391 Posts

06-23-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 76 of 79

2013-10-29, 15:26 PM

I do use the sleep part of Assist (only sleep).  It is supposed to exit sleep mode at 6:30am which could be what happened when I reported it on this forum but I have had the screen wake up at earlier times also.  One time was around 3:00am.

Options

391 Posts

06-23-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 77 of 79

2013-10-29, 15:31 PM

And as "unkilbeeg" had reported, I have found my phone awake when I opened up my holster (Verizon universal model with magnetic flap, in case that has anything to do with it)

Options

3 Posts

11-07-2013

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 78 of 79

2013-11-07, 20:26 PM

Also having pocket dialing issues. Same as everyone here, happens randomly in the pocket with no rhyme or reason, just random pocket dialing. Quite annoying.

Options

391 Posts

06-23-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 79 of 79

2013-11-09, 6:03 AM
Since the update I have not been finding my phone awake in my holster. Looks like it has been fixed.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete