Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mg712
What's DOS?
Views: 7,189
Message 1 of 10

Serious Battery Draining

Not sure what's going on with my phone but it's losing battery life by the minute.  I took it off the charger today at 100% and it was down to 95% in about 15 minutes, mostly texting and a little bit of web browsing.  I've turned off the location stuff and it doesn't seem to help.  Cleared the cache, too but it also doesn't seem to help.  

The phone is warm to the touch like it's running pretty hard, yet nothing is really running. My screen seems to take up the vast majority of the battery life, getting like 70%.  I have it set to "auto."

I don't know what the norm is, but the CPU seems to always be running in the 700-800MBs range constantly, occasionally dipping down to around 650.

Any help would be great.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 10

Re: Serious Battery Draining

Power down for 5 min.  Sounds like you have a runaway app that is cranking on the processor.

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
mg712
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 10

Tried but it's still draining.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 10

mg712 said:

Tried but it's still draining.

View original

Try booting into Safe Mode.  Instructions here.

If your problem goes away in safe mode, then you have a bad app.

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
mg712
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 10

I've had it safe mode for about 30 minutes and have lost 7% from the battery.
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 10

mg712 said:

I've had it safe mode for about 30 minutes and have lost 7% from the battery.View original

Have you tried recalibrating the battery readings?  

You can do this by charging to 100%, and then leaving the device on to charge for an additional few hours.  This typically can be done easily by charging your device while you sleep.

If that doesn't help, then an FDR (factory data reset) might be in order. Smiley Sad

mg712
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 10

The factory reset appears to have worked.  Not sure what happened. I have pretty much every app re-installed that I had before.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 8 of 10

mg712 said:

The factory reset appears to have worked.  Not sure what happened. I have pretty much every app re-installed that I had before.

View original

Glad the FDR worked--too bad you had to get to that point though.

We don't always know what goes wrong, but the FDR basically wipes the phone and restores it to the out of the box condition.  This usually clears up any data corruption that has somehow occurred.

ninertom
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 10

I had the same issue and it appears as if GooglePlay Reader was the source in my case. While the app was running in the background, I had not used it the day I saw a huge battery drain problem.

lfrog85
What's DOS?
Views: 4,819
Message 10 of 10

How did you get that app off your phone or stop it from running