Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sinthome
What's DOS?
Views: 2,273
Message 1 of 34

USB Device Not Recognized - Maxx and Windows 7/8

Hi, I am at my wit' s end with this. I ended up reinstalling Windows just trying to get my laptop to connect with my phone. First it was Windows 7, now I have a fresh install of Windows 8. Same exact problem. I have been on the phone with customer support for over three hours. Useless. Can anyone explain what is going on and how to fix it?

The phone is a Droid Maxx XT1080M on Verizon. The laptop is a Thinkpad X200T. I have tried multiple different USB cables and every USB port, installing, uninstalling, reinstalling as admin of Motorola Device Manager, using the Microsoft FixIt utility, mader sure USB Debugging is on then off then on, I have tried deleting the unrecognized device in Device Manager, flashing the phone, 3rd party pc-phone management software.. and now a clean install of Windows. Friggin everything. I am about ready to get out a sledgehammer. Please help.

opt05
Token Ring
Message 2 of 34

Re: USB Device Not Recognized - Maxx and Windows 7/8

For me when this happens it is one of two things; 1) Motorola Device Manager wasn't installed or it didn't fully install the device drivers. Usually a reboot after I install Moto Device Manager fixes it. or 2) The USB cable wasn't the original USB cable that came with the phone. For some reason, sometimes using any other USB cable besides a Motorola one doesn't work.

I have both the Maxx and a Lenovo Windows 8 PC and I have no problems. So, if the problem persists past this, I would start to suspect the USB port on your phone not working correctly.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 3 of 34

Have you installed Moto Device Manager before you plugged the phone into the computer? Do you have an original Moto USB cord?

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

AvaMichele
Token Ring
Message 4 of 34

What would be the reason for connecting my Maxx to my computer? I don't necessarily want to appear stupid, but I have never tried to connect the two. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 5 of 34

The only stupid questions are the ones that never get asked.    ;-)

You can move files on and off of your phone to/from your computer when they're connected by USB cable.  Some people prefer the local backup/storage of their pics, their own music and videos.

AvaMichele
Token Ring
Message 6 of 34

Thank you. For me, that would be way too complicated. I am happy to let Google and The Cloud take care of things. I have gotten burned in the past, and lost some files with a factory reset, so I do know the downside surprise

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 7 of 34

It sounds that way when something isn't working right.  But, once Motorola Device Manager is installed you just plug the phone in and go to Windows Explorer.  It's actually pretty easy until it doesn't work, and then you can pull your hair out.    :-D

sinthome
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 34

My cable is a Motorola original. I have also tried several others, just to see. The phone charges via the USB port.. not sure if it would be a faulty port if it charges just fine. If I look in device manager, I do not see the Motorola drivers installed. That is why I suspect they are not installing properly. I have tried everything I can to get them to install! I just want to easily transfer files to and from my phone/laptop. Can anyone figure this out?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 9 of 34

sinthome said:

My cable is a Motorola original. I have also tried several others, just to see. The phone charges via the USB port.. not sure if it would be a faulty port if it charges just fine. If I look in device manager, I do not see the Motorola drivers installed. That is why I suspect they are not installing properly. I have tried everything I can to get them to install! I just want to easily transfer files to and from my phone/laptop. Can anyone figure this out?

View original

You mention Device Manager, but I need to know if you have installed Moto Device Manager? You must install this application before you plug the phone into the computer. You need to remove any device relating to your phone in Device Manager, install Moto Device Manager after downloading it from Moto's site and finally plug the phone in. The computer will automatically install the drivers it needs after that.

The most important part is that you install Moto Device Manager. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

sinthome
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 34

Joel, that is the first thing I tried. I then tried installing it numerous times in different ways, as I explained in my original post.