Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sinthome
What's DOS?
Views: 510
Message 11 of 34

Re: USB Device Not Recognized - Maxx and Windows 7/8

When I install Motorola Device Manager it completes successfully and then nothing happens. If I plug in my phone afterward Windows says "Device not Recognized"  with no further options. If I manually open Motorola Device Manager it checks for updates for a loong time and then says it is up to date and nothing else.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 12 of 34

You can do it via the cloud with an app like AirDroid.  

Not trying to rub salt in the wound, but the only time I've ever had a problem was when I wasn't using the cable that came in the box.  My phone is a 1st Gen X, by the way.

Just to make sure I'm not being a liar, I just plugged the phone in.  Got the message on the phone that it was plugged in as a media device, and a window on my Win7 machine asking what action I want to take.

Are you seeing any message on the phone at all?  And, by "Motorola original" do you mean the cable that came in the box with your phone?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 13 of 34

ugh. I am not sure how to proceed. It seems very strange that it doesn't work on a freshly installed version of Windows. That should be the ultimate time to try. 

I have been doing a little digging and I ran across this post. Try following those instructions to see if you can get the unkown devices to install the drivers. Maybe the computer isn't seeing properly signed drivers which would be a problem. The drivers came from Motorola, so they will be fine to install them even if the computer gives you a warning about them. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 14 of 34

Can you also try checking and switching your USB computer connection on your phone. You can do this by tapping Settings>Storage>Menu>USB computer connection. Whichever connection is checked switch it to the other one. My phone is usually always in MTP mode.

Give that a try and let us know if it helps. 

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

sinthome
What's DOS?
Message 15 of 34

yup. maybe I need to find a different original cable.

sinthome
What's DOS?
Message 16 of 34

mine looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/Original-Transfer-Cable-Motorola-XT1080M/dp/B00MG2X2SW

sinthome
What's DOS?
Message 17 of 34

it was in MTP, i switched to camera and both unchecked. no change.

sinthome
What's DOS?
Message 18 of 34

Ok, I got this far:

You can extract the .exe file into a directory using 7zip, then go to:

\MotoHelper_2.1.32_Driver_5.4.0\$TEMP\

But I don't see a temp directory in the extracted files (show hidden files is on)

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 19 of 34

sinthome said:

mine looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/Original-Transfer-Cable-Motorola-XT1080M/dp/B00MG2X2SW

View original

That cable should work. I have read on a few sites that when the Device isn't recognized that it is very possible that it is the USB port. Even though the phone is still charging the wires for charging and for USB connections are different. Therefor, it could be able to be charged, but not for the USB connection on a computer.

Is it possible to try to get this to work on a different computer? If you can get it to work on a different computer than we can assume that it has something to do with your computer. If it doesn't work on another computer than we can assume that it might have something to do with the phone or the USB port on the phone. 

Hopefully, we can pinpoint the problem. Hope this helps.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 20 of 34

sinthome said:

Ok, I got this far:

You can extract the .exe file into a directory using 7zip, then go to:

\MotoHelper_2.1.32_Driver_5.4.0\$TEMP\

But I don't see a temp directory in the extracted files (show hidden files is on)

View original

extract the files into a folder that you know where it is. Then you will be able to browse to that folder in future steps. Hope this helps.