Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ecrunion
Punch Card
Views: 30,918
Message 1 of 12

Unread Icon on Messaging App Not Going Away

I have a Droid Maxx that has never been tampered with or altered in any way.  

Sometime over the last few weeks, the stock Messaging icon never got rid of showing a "1" in the red ribbon on the app icon (on the homescreen and in the app drawer) indicating I have a text message.  I do not have any unread messages and don't know why the unread icon will not go away.

I have tried clearing the cache of the Messaging app and rebooting the phone, easy troubleshooting stuff.  I am wondering if there is something I am missing to get this to go away.  It's not a huge deal, but it has thrown me off a few times already.

Any suggestions beyond a FDR would be great.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 12

Re: Unread Icon on Messaging App Not Going Away

Try installing an app called History Eraser by INFOLIFE LLC  When you open the app scroll down to the SMS/MMS section. Are there any Failed or Drafts there? If there are then tick the box next to those selections and then tap Clean.

If there aren't any failed or drafts then the only way I know would be to Clean your Sent and Received texts. You could do just one at a time and see if it helps.

Please keep in mind that you Clean any of the sent or received that it will erase those messages permanently, so save any that are important before starting this process. Hope this helps. 

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

userdd6767
Punch Card
Message 3 of 12

I'd noticed that group messages lately would disappear if I dismissed the notifications. If I selected to view the text by clicking on the notification I could read it, but if I swiped it away to look at it later, it was gone - leaving a "1" in the unread count. Also, once I'd read a group text, I couldn't later go back to read it or respond to it. The only way I could get back into the text (which cleared any unread count it had) was by creating a brand new text with the same people in the group... Then the text history would show, and any associated counts would clear. I had to switch to Hangouts because this was driving me crazy!
jacobdextercoff
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 12

I had this problem for a long time. I gave up and switched to hangouts. It fixed itself after like 2 months of power cycling. The trick is you cannot delete group messages or conversations if there is a message or picture you never successfully received or opened.

Ecrunion
Punch Card
Message 5 of 12

Just wanted to post an update.  Thanks everyone for the helpful responses!

It did end up being related to group messages as several pointed out.

All I had to do was switch to Hangouts as my primary texting application, once my texts propagated, the faulty text that wasn't showing up in Messaging was right there in Hangouts to read and clear.  It was a text from a previous group conversation.  Problem solved.

It's handy to be able to switch applications like that, as this has happened to me before.  Just wanted to point this out for others down the road that might experience the same issue.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 12

Ecrunion said:

Just wanted to post an update.  Thanks everyone for the helpful responses!

It did end up being related to group messages as several pointed out.

All I had to do was switch to Hangouts as my primary texting application, once my texts propagated, the faulty text that wasn't showing up in Messaging was right there in Hangouts to read and clear.  It was a text from a previous group conversation.  Problem solved.

It's handy to be able to switch applications like that, as this has happened to me before.  Just wanted to point this out for others down the road that might experience the same issue.

View original

Thanks for the update, and for clarifying what the problem is and how to resolve it!

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Atthem
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 12

Is there a solution to this that doesn't involve switching to Hangouts?

If I get a text message and clear the notification without reading the message, the new message indicator still shows I have 1 unread message, but if I go into the stock messaging app, the message isn't there.  In fact, all messages from that person are gone.  The only way I can see them again is if I send them a text or they send me another one.

This happens all the time, and I know others are having this problem as well.

Thanks

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 8 of 12

Atthem said:

Is there a solution to this that doesn't involve switching to Hangouts?

If I get a text message and clear the notification without reading the message, the new message indicator still shows I have 1 unread message, but if I go into the stock messaging app, the message isn't there.  In fact, all messages from that person are gone.  The only way I can see them again is if I send them a text or they send me another one.

This happens all the time, and I know others are having this problem as well.

Thanks

View original

You could try clearing the data from the messaging app (settings>>>apps, find your messaging app, and clear data).  

However, if you go this route then you would LOSE ALL YOUR SMS MESSAGES unless you somehow backed them up elsewhere (there are apps for that in Google Play).  It could be that within some message thread you have a bit of bad data...

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 9 of 12

There is an app called History Eraser that will help you clear texts like this. Check it out to see if it helps you. Click the link to see the app.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

chucksartoris1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 23,062
Message 10 of 12

I switched to Hangouts and my wife's Phone number was in bold type. I just deleted it and switched back to messenger for text. Notification GONE .And I didn't lose any text messages.