Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID ULTRA & ULTRA MAXX
All Forum Topics
Options

343 Posts

03-20-2013

United States of America

6 Signins

109 Page Views

• Views: 109
  • Message 31 of 36

Re: Welcome! Let's talk Ultra!

2013-08-01, 15:30 PM
 Do I trust vendors? No.    Do I trust the government? Even less.
I know the former is collecting for marketing, the latter has no business collecting anything without a warrant. Do I have anything to hide? No. But I don't think they need my credit card numbers, bank account numbers, or anything else.
Do I encrypt SD cards, upload encrypted files, send PGP email? yes.
Even then anything I want to be secure I do in person not on computer or phone. I am more than willing to have Google/Motorola know me better than my grandma for a better experience. But the feds better have a warrant from a judge to get that same information.
Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 32 of 36

2013-08-01, 15:49 PM

mrip said:

Technology today really amazes me, as you look back just 3 years you can see a great evoultion. Where you can see at never thought possible the home PC is in danger. Not that that's a bad thing, its just amazing how fast this sector is moving. Android 4.3 has made some strides in protecting or informing users about the apps running in the background through the notifications. Its up to the consumer to learn their phones and like what was said it's a comfort level. 

This is just a quick thought ...... With Apple looking into fingerprint technology how long before we start to see people arrested for unsolved crimes that happend years ago?

View original

Very interesting point.

But if it's based on AuthenTec technology as it existed a few years ago, it wouldn't be very reliable.  I'd say it properly reads/matches the print about 60% of the time.  

What's really annoying is that the terms of Apple's purchase forced AutenTec to simply abandon support of its existing customer base, which was largely PC based (HP incorporated the reader in some of it's products).

You can't rely on it as the sole source of security, at least from my experience.  I expect (or hopefully) they've made breakthroughs since they were "appleized."

Options

1 Posts

06-23-2012

Germany

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 33 of 36

2013-08-02, 16:08 PM

any chance to see the droid ultra familie in europe?

Options

4366 Posts

09-08-2010

United States

2 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 34 of 36

2013-08-03, 16:08 PM

neo-data said:

any chance to see the droid ultra family in Europe?

View original

A definite maybe ... wink

I hope so, as wider adoption of this phone will increase the availability of accessories and support ...

If the Euro LTE bands are supported this becomes a truly world class phone ...

Options

5594 Posts

06-17-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 35 of 36

2013-08-04, 2:33 AM

enlightened

Options

1799 Posts

08-22-2010

United States of America

221 Signins

3080 Page Views

• Views: 3080
  • Message 36 of 36

2013-08-30, 17:02 PM

Matt (Forums Manager) said:

I didn't mean to come across as saying this is "the best of all possible worlds." Information is collected today for the most banal of reasons -- to sell me stuff I don't need. Fine; in return I get free search, Websites full of friends, and other benefits and I can do my best to resist the come-ons of marketers. The concern, well expressed by several on this thread, is what happens when that same information is turned to other purposes. The specific threat isn't easy to see -- again, what use is the information? -- but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I personally feel that most of the folks who have access to this data are simply too focused on selling to concern themselves with anything else. But one never knows. Healthy skepticism is your friend.

View original

Speaking as an old guy that saw "number please" party lines, the first TV's and well into adulthood for any kind of home computers (commodore) I have enthusiastically embraced the digital world but with a lot of common sense thrown in.  I know that everything we throw out there is public forever so I am just careful what I "throw out there". I cannot imagine going back and living without the technology we have today.  We just have to be cautious how we use it. Thanks Matt, good to be back.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms