Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveDROID X by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

4366 Posts

09-08-2010

United States

2 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 11 of 13

Re: Am I being throttled, or does my X just suck?

2011-12-06, 18:54 PM

Ansextra wrote:

I'm not standing up for Verizon in any way but it is possible that the signal strength indicator is incorrect.  Still a Droid X issue of course.

Signal strength meters on cell phones are notoriusly inaccurate.

http://www.gizmag.com/iphone-signal-strength-error/15607/

http://www.tested.com/news/how-to-measure-cell-signal-strength-on-android-phones/557/

Options

313 Posts

03-04-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 12 of 13

2011-12-09, 8:04 AM

Hi freshmaker,

The answer is: "probably not".

I'm not sure why your wife's phone doesn't seem to have the problem since she was on the same network. Connections are first-come-first-served, so perhaps she connected earlier than you and, as long as she didn't disconnect---or "hop" to a different cell---she was able to keep her connection.

However, it is common for this kind of problem when you are in a very large crowd. A given cell network has only so many channels and so much bandwidth available---a large crowd of cell phone users can quickly consume all available capacity. If no 3G capacity is available on your network, you will be pushed down to 1X.

This may have nothing to do with your phone and everything to do with the peak network traffic. The person beside you who has a good Verizon connection may have simply connected at just the right time to get a good connection.

Kind regards, D.Harris

Options

119 Posts

08-17-2010

United States of America

7 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 13 of 13

2011-12-09, 14:15 PM

Thanks for the input d.harris, and welcome back.  I guess if you pair the existing 3G drop along with the limited number of 3G "slots," that would explain why I seemingly always have a 1x connection in large crowds.  I guess I'm just fortunate enough to be able to re-establish 3G when it drops off elsewhere.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms