Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2dawson
What's DOS?
Views: 106
Message 1 of 6

Annoying WiFi...

My Droid X has the poorest implementation of WiFi of any device I own or have ever owned. I have it set to never shut off but when I go out of a WiFi area and return, I always have to open WiFi settings, then it will connect. It should find it on it's own. I have two WiFi networks in my house and when it connects, it tries the last one even if it isn't in range and I have to fo to settings and select the strong one.

My son's iPhone and my iPad always finds the strongest one automatically and never fails to connect. When I leave and return it, again, finds the correct network and connects. You would thing after so many WiFi phones they have built, Motorola could finally get it right.

The phone part is great but WiFi is driving me away from any other Motorola product or if it's an Android issue, then away from Android.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 2 of 6

Re: Annoying WiFi...

Hello.  Does your DX only display this type of behavior in your home on your own Wi-Fi or does it also do it in other environments?   Thanks.    --- Dan

2dawson
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 6

It happens wherever I am. I'm tired of the irritating problems with this phone. All seemingly minor but they really add up. I'm moving to an iPhone or Windows 8 phone when this contract is up.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 4 of 6

2dawson said:

It happens wherever I am. I'm tired of the irritating problems with this phone. All seemingly minor but they really add up. I'm moving to an iPhone or Windows 8 phone when this contract is up.

"I've owned my "X" since about a month after they were released and have had no problems with it. It is my 3rd smart phone (Omnia, Droid, Droid X) and the best so far."

Above was your post on March 8th. of 2011.  I have to ask in order to assist you with your phone...were you using Wi-Fi in the same location at the time of that post?  If so, was your Wi-Fi working correctly then?   If there is anything that I can assist you with in troubleshooting your phone, I would be most happy to help.  If you have not performed a factory data reset on your phone yet, I would recommend it, and in settings on your phone ensure that "automatic restore" is not checked, because if you have third party app problems (conflicts), they will be installed again on your phone and the problem(s) will reoccur.  If your mind is made up on the iPhone or the Win8 phone, I hope whatever device you chose serves you well.    --- Dan

2dawson
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the offer of help. Yes, the phone was fine until the last forced upgrade.  The WiFi always works when I manually restart it (turn WiFi off/on), it drives me nuts when I use it then 30 minutes later I have to turn WiFi off then on.

No, I haven't done a factory reset. I doubt I could ever get the thing configured the way it is now and I can't be without it while I try. If I have to start over it will be on a new phone. I have used Motorola phones since the Star Tac but this one is now driving me nuts. I don't know if my problems are Motorola or Android problems but I suspect it is the Motorola implementation of Android as my grandaughter's Incredible 2 works flawlessly.

I suspect that the Droid X will be forgotten by Motorola so the problems will persist. Every update adds new problems and most will never be solved.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 6 of 6

2dawson said:

Thanks for the offer of help. Yes, the phone was fine until the last forced upgrade.  The WiFi always works when I manually restart it (turn WiFi off/on), it drives me nuts when I use it then 30 minutes later I have to turn WiFi off then on.

No, I haven't done a factory reset. I doubt I could ever get the thing configured the way it is now and I can't be without it while I try. If I have to start over it will be on a new phone. I have used Motorola phones since the Star Tac but this one is now driving me nuts. I don't know if my problems are Motorola or Android problems but I suspect it is the Motorola implementation of Android as my grandaughter's Incredible 2 works flawlessly.

I suspect that the Droid X will be forgotten by Motorola so the problems will persist. Every update adds new problems and most will never be solved.

You are very welcome, and the offer stands anytime.  While dreaded by many, a factory data reset *can* make a phone very pleasurable to use again.  There are spurious files and file fragments and cache files that are not accessable by other means that are approved by Motorola.  I have two Droid X's, and even though they lack some of the bells and whistles of some of the more recent releases from our manufacturer, they are among my favorite devices.  I'm going to add some information below that I personally use in preparation for a factory data reset.  I have found that one of the most significant hassles involve putting your application icons back on your screens relative to where you had them previously, and also setting up some account settings, which vary from individual to individual. 

"In theory, if you're using a Google account, all of your apps are backed up by Google and then restored after a factory data reset.  Unfortunately, I can tell you with first hand knowledge, if you have quite a few apps, I have had some third party free apps *not* restored  after a factory data reset, and it's not supposed to happen like this.  If you are not familiar with file managers, it's almost a necessity you learn how to use a good one, I recommend "Astro" file manager on the Market for free.  You can backup your apps and it will save them to your external microSD card which can be restored after the factory data reset.  You can use the app "Call Logs Backup and Restore" free on the Market to backup your call logs to your external microSD card which can be restored later.  You can also use the free app on the Market "Bookmark Sort and Backup" (by Happy Droid) to save that data to your external microSD card which can be restored later.  You can use "SMS Backup and Restore" available on the Market for free to backup that data to your external microSD card, which can be restored later.  Certain apps may have a provision to save their data to your external microSD card from inside the app, for example, "AK Notepad" available from the Market for free does this.  If you have those types of apps installed on your phone, be sure and check to see if they allow you to save their data to your external microSD card or your data will be lost forever, otherwise.  Game data (levels, user names, etc.) are a problem as far as backing up their data, again, check the app to see if it has that provision to save the data to your external microSD card, if necessary contact the developer to find out what their recommendation is when doing a factory data reset.  I have provided you exactly the same apps that I use when doing a factory data reset.  Your phone does some backing up, but my motto is TRUST NOTHING when it comes to your data, better to be redundant than lose something you will most likely greatly regret later."    --- Dan