cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EDC88
What's DOS?
Views: 169
Message 1 of 51

Anybody having flicker issues with their Droid X screen?

Decided to get a new phone after nearly 4 years of owning the original Blackberry Pearl and decided to buy a Droid X  yesterday.

Awesome phone so far but, I was using my phone this morning and noticed that the screen was flickering.

The flicker was very intermittent with one instance where I could see the flicker showing streaks of what appeared to be the default Droid X wallpaper (the metallic looking one with a white "X" across the screen).  As a note I had changed the default wallpaper to one of the other pre-installed ones.

The flickering rears itself when the phone comes off standby and the screen illuminates.  It does appear to go away after (I estimate) 10-15 seconds of use.

Anybody else having this issue or similar screen flickering?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 51

Re: Anybody having flicker issues with their Droid X screen?

I haven't seen that at all.  When this happens do you by chance have it plugged in when it is flickering.  I have seen weird little issues like this with the Droid 1 when they are plugged into a non-OEM charger or a laptop.  Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

EDC88
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 51

Negative on the phone being plugged in when the flickering occurred.

UPDATE:

Phone's screen died on me.

The only thing visible is the small taskbar on the upper part of the screen where the signal strength, 3G logo, etc. are displayed.

Oddly enough the touchscreen still works as I was able to shutoff the phone via the touchscreen

I will try to upload a quick vid of the problem.

Bottomline is it's ridiculous to have Motorola's flagship phone fail one day after buying it

bsulla
802.11n
Message 4 of 51

I also notice my screen flicker when I hit the home button after I am done browsing the web for example. It only flickers for a second.

EDC88
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 51

7/18/10 UPDATE.

So I went to the Verizon Wireless store where I purchased my Droid X this past Friday and showed them the problem.

The technician turned on the phone and the phone proceeded to yield the same problem.

She goes to the backroom and in about 15 minutes she comes back and confirms my story.

She says she will confer with her manager to see what can be done.

In another 15 minutes, she comes back and tells me that they located another Droid X at another Verizon Wireless store about 5 minutes away and they will hold the phone for me today (luckily I purchased my phone in downtown NYC, so Verizon stores are pretty close together).

I walk to the other store and finally get my 2nd Droid X.

So far so good!

I'VE ATTACHED A VIDEO OF THE DEAD SCREEN ISSUE BELOW FOR REFERENCE.

drcaveman
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 51

I have the same problem, except I have to wait for a new one to be shipped at the end of the month.  Now I am worried that the new one will have the same problem.  I might Just have to return it and get an Incredible.

Speedr117
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 51

I got the screen issues on Saturday. Looked like there was a loose connection (i.e. the display would flicker in and out, vertical lines of random color bits, and then go to black with a white horizontal line at the very top being the only thing displayed. I rebooted, removed the battery, nothing helped. Then I removed the SD card and re-inserted it, and all was well.

Have not been able to reproduce it since. Not sure what to do (return the phone, ask for a replacement, do nothing).

romi72
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 51

I just bought my phone on the 15th and Sunday noticed bottom of my screen started flickering and a bar running accross the bottom of my screen that fades in and out.  Took it the store they said it's a short in the display screen they did a master reset but still having problem.  Have to get me a new phone, frustrating because I just got the phone and second sometimes that bar blocks out the selection buttons.

romi72
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 51

I would return it, I'm having same issue, the guy at Verizon said to have them send me a new phone.  Hope they resolve issue, I really like my phone but that bar blocks out part of the buttons at times.

Mine stops for a while and then starts up again.

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Message 10 of 51

If you are getting consistent flickering it is likely a hardware problem and an exchange for another X is the best solution.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!