cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
areacopiers
What's DOS?
Views: 105
Message 21 of 51

Re: Anybody having flicker issues with their Droid X screen?

Yes Day 6 and mine has failed. Thats sad! Can I possibly go forward with this product? In the middle of typing a test and the screen went crazy, started racing vertically. Powered down removed batt powered up all blurry and bands phone would not ring if called. Very strange. So back to my samsung SCH-A930 for now. This is why I waited so long to upgrade to a new phone. I can't afford to pay an extra $100 a year to cover thier falty equiptment. Maybe I can sell this one to CNN and that will cover my insurance. 5 years no problems with the old phone 5 days with the new and look at me. Starting to have the same feeling I got with the Honda Odessy 03 bad transmission that going to cost me 4 grand to fix. Hope others are having better luck tham I.

milnav1
What's DOS?
Message 22 of 51

Verizon tells me they are shipping a replacement on June27th. Motorola said it was a very small number of defective displays, but I am not buying their numbers. At least 4 persons I know have bad units, all them were told by Verizon the same as me (they never saw this, its not a bad batch etc). I think its a larger problem, I think Motorola is trying to brush it under the rug, and I think as affected users, we can be more vocal. Go to the DroidX facebook page www.facebook.com/droidx and tell the story- let's see if we can go viral and get Motorola to apologize and give us something for our headache. maybe even a free case? LOL

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Message 23 of 51

milnav1 wrote:

I think Motorola is trying to brush it under the rug,

I think that's really unfair. Both Motorola and Verizon issued statements and it's received a lot of coverage, like here,

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
milnav1
What's DOS?
Message 24 of 51

Mike,

I don't think I am being harsh. The DroidX was eagerly antcipated and those of us who have experienced the display issue are frustrated. Within 1 day of purchase to have a display go bad, and to be told by Verizon that no phone is available until June 27 (at the earliest) is not making the customer feel good about the purchase. In fact, the Verizon store told me to return the phone and get a refund, and then reorder it after the 27th. I thought this was ridiculous, so I escalated and at least now, I am on the wait list for a new phone to be shipped without having to go thru that.

In terms of customer service, the problem is that instead of stating that some DroidX owners are experienceing issues and Motorola/Verizon are rapidly working to replace those units, Motorola/Verizon decided to minimize it by saying that it was only a very small number of users, and we should contact Motorola/Verizon customer support. Its about sentiment, its about recognizing the value of your early adopters and persons who would only further promote the use of the phone, and feeling their pain. The coverage its gotten has been because of persons like me, reporting our issues to Engadget and filming on YouTube. Until then, it was "oh- nobody else has reported this"

areacopiers
What's DOS?
Message 25 of 51

I think you are confused! Look to your right I'm in the same boat as you. Day six and mine is useless. I spoke with verizon last night when this happened and they told me the phone was readly avail Huh I called the store where I purchased and they said 8-3-10.
I don't think I can trust this product. I will try to get on the list for Droid 2 You can see my video on youtube as well.
Best wishes, Michael

DCABuckeye
What's DOS?
Message 26 of 51

Mine started to flicker on the bottom half of the phone on the first day, July 15.  After a couple calls to Verizon, I was informed to exchange it at Best Buy where I purchased it during the pre-order.  Of course BB doesn't have any, so I called Motorola on Monday after the X just went black on the bottom half (thank God I had alreay performed a reset).  Thirty minutes on the phone at 4:30 p.m. on Monday and Motorola sent me a new phone WITH a two way pre-paid shipping label by 10:30 Tuesday morning!  Swapped out the flash card and booted up the phone.  Perfect!  Customer service was fantastic, and now followed up by Moto acknowledging it has a problem with a small percentage of Xs.  No "you're holding the phone wrong."

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Message 27 of 51

milnav1 wrote:

the problem is that instead of stating that some DroidX owners are experienceing issues and Motorola/Verizon are rapidly working to replace those units, Motorola/Verizon decided to minimize it by saying that it was only a very small number of users, and we should contact Motorola/Verizon customer support. Its about sentiment, its about recognizing the value of your early adopters and persons who would only further promote the use of the phone, and feeling their pain. The coverage its gotten has been because of persons like me, reporting our issues to Engadget and filming on YouTube. Until then, it was "oh- nobody else has reported this"

Again, I have to respectfully disagree. I know I'm an employee so I'm biased. But:

• We absolutely did say that "owners are experiencing issues and Motorola/Verizon are rapidly working to replace those units."
  • We do believe it was a small number of units -- should we not say that?
  • It's true that we became aware of this issue because owners like you reported it. News does not travel instantaneously. The device has been out a week and at first, no one knew if this was a real issue. Once we understood it we acknowledged it and said to bring them back. Should we not have done that?
  • And yes, failures like this make us look bad. I won't make excuses for it. We need to do better. It is true that early adopters are the ones who have to deal with the bumps of a new device. Those who wait have an easier road.

I understand if you're frustrated due to the wait for devices -- X flew off the shelves, but it's flying back on again as we restock.

I'm not trying to minimize your trouble and frustration. I just think we did the right thing, as far as possible, to address this problem and I'm not sure what a better approach could be.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
milnav1
What's DOS?
Message 28 of 51

Ok- Matt, let me thank you first for a direct and engaging dialog-

Second, let me say that Motorola, a company I have dealt with for years, still has my respect, as does Verizon. I am happy that both Droid and DroidX are best sellers and put Motorola back in the game of mobile devices, just like StarTac and Razr.

Finally, I appreciate that the company reacted quickly, and I appreciate that you have been forthcoming about the screen issues, I am just going to comment on ways to improve this process going forward:

1.     Verizon knows exactly who has a DroidX on their systems since activation.

VZW should have sent a text message out to all DroidX devices telling them if they had a problem to contact VZW for replacement

2.      Motorola should have setup a direct DroidX hotline or website extension via the Verizon Website/stores (so that sales reps and public can read reviews of the device, a free flow user community etc- (without the fullness of this registered owner site). VZW sales staff did more harm than good in telling us that "no one else is reporting this" or to return it for a full refund and then reorder when its back in stock.

3.      Both VZW & Motorola should come up with some little token to express their understanding to the persons who experienced the problem- Maybe sending them a car charger, or something would work. I am not saying  want one, I am saying Moto/Vzw should be empathetic to the pain its users had.

DCABuckeye
What's DOS?
Message 29 of 51

I'm going to jump in on this:  Pain users had?  People in the Gulf are experiencing pain; soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq are experiencing pain.  I had a bad phone that was immediately replaced.  Yes, I had to spend some of a couple days making some phone calls, but in the end I got a perfectly great phone and Moto sent a survey immediately after on this particular issue, not some generic survey.

I think they've reacted as about best as a company could.  As far-fetched as it may seem, when the Verizon "technical support" told me that they hadn't experienced the problem, I believe them.  They aren't really techs and they read from a script.  The Moto rep put me on hold to talk to an engineer and then talked to the CEO's office.  I believe that's called an appropriate response.

I deal professionally with over 6500 pda devices in my work and I'd be happy to have this kind of response in the corporate setting, let alone as a consumer.  On this one Moto gets an A+ from me.

milnav1
What's DOS?
Message 30 of 51

Point taken on Pain- its all relative.

Still, customer service and satisfaction are important. I think you were able to get right to the Motorola CEO, and that is great for you. I was given the runaround by Verizon, and escalated to Motorola only to be bounced back to Verizon. I am simply suggesting that both companies could have coordinated the launch better, and that if they want to follow the "love the customer mantra" of that other smartphone company, they should consider doing something for the persons who had the problem.