cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
milnav1
What's DOS?
Views: 107
Message 41 of 51

Re: Anybody having flicker issues with their Droid X screen?

Hi I can appreciate your sentiment-

However- I am an experienced consumer-

If I purchase something in good faith- let's use a LCD television as an example- and I buy a Sony Unit from Best Buy, and I get it home and it doesn't work, I call Best Buy, they exchange the TV for me- If they don't have it in stock, they order it and also give me a 20% coupon off any other item.

I do agree that Verizon should always have "hot spares" available for just such issues, where a phone requires on the spot replacement.  The reason I keep hounding for some type of compensation is that Verizon/Motorola couldn't replace the units fast enough so those of us (and not you evidently, so enjoy yours) who had the phone but can't enjoy it, and we are forced to wait until restocking.  It just pacifies and makes us feel better.

nuff said!

CrashF16
What's DOS?
Message 42 of 51

I waited outside the store on the 15th and was first in line to pick up the new Droid X. After only 20 minutes, the bottom of the screen started to flicker. I called the Verizon Warranty number, and they had me pull and reinstall the battery. That seemed to work for a couple hours. Then, the bottom half of the screen progressively got worse, ultimately resulting in a totally unusable bottom half with streaks of gray and black. I spent all of the next day on the phone with Verizon trying to find a replacement. They were very reluctant to send a new phone, saying it was more than their allowable cost to send one without getting the original first. I was not in the same town that I bought it, otherwise I could've gone there to return it and have them order a new one. I asked the Verizon rep to call a couple stores where I would be travelling, and luckily one of those stores had one in stock. They were nce enough to hold it for me, and I did an exchange there. The new one works great so far. Overall, I wish Verizon would have been faster to offer a solution instaed of me having to direct them on how to resolve this issue, but I did get a new phone that day, so I guess I'm satisfied.

MikeyTG
802.11n
Message 43 of 51

I bought mine at a Verizon store on release day. I just saw some flicker this morning, I was browsing in landscape and the right ~1/5 side of the screen flickered a few times (it would be the bottom 1/5 in portrait). I have not seen it again, hopefully it will either never happen again or break entirely soon!

Verizon has a 30 day return/exchange policy, so it seems like we have at least that long to bring it back and get a new one with no hassle. They say there is a restocking fee but I would scream loudly, hold my breath and stamp my feet if they tried to apply it to a faulty device.

milnav1
What's DOS?
Message 44 of 51

So to all those who were unlucky enough to experience the DroidX Screen flicker issue, and were lucky enough to have a local Verizon store locate/hold a replacement device for you, I say, congrats and enjoy the new phone. I am anxiously awaiting my replacement DroidX to ship from Verizon on 7/27. I still find it pretty weird that Motorola/Verizon say its a handful of persons who experienced the screen issue- So every person on this forum who did, went the extra yardage to register and blog about it. I say we are in the minority compared to the average user who would just patiently wait for Verizon to replace.... but hey- at least we all learned one thing- we are not alone!

g13715
What's DOS?
Message 45 of 51

I just received my Droid X on Sept 9th and by the 11th, the screen started flickering and now 3/4th of the screen is blank. I have contacted verizon and initially, the store guys did not admit there was such an issue but later they did. The interesting thing is that, when I called Motorola support, they have told me that there is no such issue reported. Even after reading the press release from july 21st or so, they (the support guys) are still refusing to admit it.

My issue is whether this problem is going to continue to occur when I get the replacement phone. Because, since the phone is back-ordered and by the time I  get it, my 30 day period will be over and if the issue occurs then verizon will not replace it with a new one and will give me a re-furbished one. I think this is a bad strategy. In fact, the Verizon store folks initially ordered a re-furbished one and I had to call verizon support to get it changed to a new one.

Combined that experience with Motorola support's refusal to admit the issue, make me worry that the issue may not be fixed and I may see this issue again later. Therefore, I am debating whether to completely cancel the purchase.

If the issue was fixed already by early August time frame (as mentioned in many websites) then why, as late as min-Sept, we are still seeing this issue? Even my origional order was back-ordered when I ordered it towards the end of August.

Note: I was an Iphone user and I got excited with the Droid X but I am sorely dissapointed so far.

milnav1
What's DOS?
Message 46 of 51

Well, having had my replacement droidX for about 2 months, I can tell you that the Flicker issue is solved and the only complaint I have left is the slowness of Motorola to update the phone to Android2.2(Froyo), and Motorola's insistence to keep the inferior MotoBlur as part of their OS enhancement.

gck105
What's DOS?
Message 47 of 51

Is there any fix to this other than a replacement phone?  I just recieved a replacement phone for my Droid X that I purchased back in July that was having some issues.  I activated the replacement and as I was setting it up with all of my apps and settings the screen started to flicker.  The firmware is up to date, so it seems like I will have to send it back.  Just wanted to see if there was anything I could do to fix.  Thanks.  

droidx0911
What's DOS?
Message 48 of 51

My screen just got a bar accross the bottom 1 inch of the screen yesterday. It started to flicker off and on in the same area today. I went to verizon and they said I could get a refurbished replacement. I called motorola and they said I could get a refurbished or send it in for "observation/repair" and get a loaner from Verizon. Verizon said they dont have any loaners. So I guess I would have to do w/o a phone I bought specifically for work for at least a week, or get a used warrany replacement for a phone I just paid $380.00 for less than 2 1/2 months ago. There is something very wrong about that. My phone was manufactured Sept of 2010, right after Motorola and Verizon admitted to the droid x having screen issues. GOOGLE DROIDX SCREEN AND LOOK AT THE ARTICLES ON CNET AND OTHERS! At that point people were getting new replacements. Now I'm expected to "roll over" and get a refurb. I feel like I'm being punished for someone else's mistake and not being treated fairly. My last phone was a Nokia and lasted 7 years in constant service and the only reason I got this inferior (in durability) droid x is because I needed to get service calls via email, otherwise I would still be using my Nokia. I hope you all realize that your replacements are refurbished "pre owned" phones. Would you accept a pre owned car for your defective new car? I don't think so. Thanks for the outstanding job Verizon and Motorola, I guess you got my money. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

jkurt40
What's DOS?
Message 49 of 51

Yep, I feel the same way droidx9011, maybe we need to complain as much as iphone owners did to get a proper remedy, mine was bought in Dec. well after they knew about the problem and has started flickering real bad 2 days ago, my phone looks like it did when I bought it new, now I have to wait 34 days for Verizon to ship me a used refurbished one that who knows what it will look like. Totally disgusted with motorola and Verizon.

qonnor
What's DOS?
Message 50 of 51

This is not an answer to this problem, merely a response to the issue in general.

I inherited this otherwise kewl phone from my daughter who was only 32 years old. She loved this phone and was proud of it's reliability. She was always going on about her "DroidX".  (apparently she didn't experience this problem. I am thankful for that.)  Well, She is gone now and I have it, and the screen flicker is maddening. It flickers. It goes black. It flickers, goes black and has 20 - 40 vertical lines running over the lower 5/6 of the screen.  As you might imagine, this Droid X has sentimental value and I want to put it back into service. Is there a fix for this issue? I read today that there was one but I can't seem to locate it any where. I spent nearly 6 hours searching for it and now I am flickering like the phone. I am afraid to look into a mirror. If someone can point me to the solution I would be very grateful.  Thank you all for providing this venue for those of us who are dead from the neck up. qonnor.