Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveDROID X by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

49 Posts

06-17-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 10

Apps constantly restarting because of low memory

2011-09-06, 17:35 PM

I don't really have too many running apps and services outside of the normal MotoBlur Apps and Services yet my phone is constantly running low on memory. I typically have less than 25MB free and I have seen it at 0.0MB free. Here is the list of Running apps and the amount of memory used. Can someone tell me which of the forced apps/services  I can turn off/reconfigure so they use less memory (the "extra" apps I have installed I use so I would rather not get rid of anything if possible)?

Settings               (1 process and 0 services)   18 MB

ASTRO                (1 process and 1 service)   1.8 MB

Astrid Tasks         (1 process and 1 service)   3.8 MB

Battery Indicator    (1 process and 1 service)    2.0 MB

Google Voice        (1 process and 3 services)  3.4 MB

Handcent SMS      (1 process and 1 service)    4.1 MB

Data manager Service (1 process and 1 service)  3.4 MB

Social Networking (1 process and 1 service)  3.0 MB

Backup Assistant (1 process and 1 service)  1.5 MB

Quick Contact      (1 process and 1 service)   4.0 MB

News                   (1 process and 5 services)  8.1 MB

Messages            (1 process and 1 service)   2.3 MB

Global Unplug       (1 process and 1 service)  1.5 MB

Calendar               (1 process and 1 service)   4.9 MB

com.motorola.photowiz (1 process and 2 services)  2.3 MB

Google Services    (1 process and 1 service)   10.0 MB

Sync Service         (1 process and 1 service)  2.1 MB

Maps                    (1 process and 1 service)   4.9 MB

Social Sharing       (1 process and 1 service)   2.4 MB

Suggestions Poll Schedule  (1 process and 2 services)   2.8 MB

Bluetooth Dun (1 process and 1 service)  1.6 MB

Swype                  (2 process and 1 service)  21 MB

The obvious choice I suppose is Swype at 21MB but is that really enough - I look at my sons Droid 2 and he has HALF of his memory free.

Also, Handcent is a "luxury item" because I have text messaging from Motoblur, but I really like Handcent so would like to keep it if possible.

If I turn on live wallpaper with this setup, my phone lags so bad I can't do anything. Needless to say I don't use live wallpaper.

Answer
Options

64 Posts

07-22-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

Re: Apps constantly restarting because of low memory

2011-09-06, 18:08 PM

Auto memory manager is a free app available on the market, I installed it last monday and have not had any rebooting or sluggish behavior. You can custom configure the memory management or use one of the preconfigured ones. I have been using the one called "mild". My phone is completely stock. This has worked well for me and I have not noticed any problems yet. battery life has been unaffected. Very easy to set up and use. Probably worth a try. Good luck.

Replies(9)
Answer
Options

64 Posts

07-22-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 10

2011-09-06, 18:08 PM

Auto memory manager is a free app available on the market, I installed it last monday and have not had any rebooting or sluggish behavior. You can custom configure the memory management or use one of the preconfigured ones. I have been using the one called "mild". My phone is completely stock. This has worked well for me and I have not noticed any problems yet. battery life has been unaffected. Very easy to set up and use. Probably worth a try. Good luck.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

394 Posts

10-07-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2011-09-06, 18:22 PM

Try installing Watchdog Task Manager Lite, the app will keep track of all the applications running on your phone, and will alert you whenever one, or more are malfunctioning. At that time, you can decide whether to keep the app or delete it from you phone.

Options

49 Posts

06-17-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2011-09-07, 13:17 PM

rock7 - my phone has been running much better since I installed Auto Memory Manager. I consistently have 50MB free (about a 10x improvement!) which helps a lot. I tried Watchdog Task Manager but I was not getting any alerts and it was talking up a fair amount of space so I uninstalled it. I did like the way it gave a lot more details as to the memory usage. The built in Manage Apps only gives a fraction of the information Watchdog Task Manager provides.

Options

64 Posts

07-22-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2011-09-07, 16:42 PM

Glad it's working for you. I too had another program on the phone to see the memory details , but have since uninstalled it because things are working much better now with Auto Memory manager installed. It would be nice if a fix similar to this could be part of the phone programming, instead of having to find a work around.

Options

394 Posts

10-07-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2011-09-07, 17:34 PM

Good to hear you got your phone working again. I'm curious though, what do you have installed that you only have 50Mb free even w/ automanager? I have about 120+ apps installed and I generally have anywhere from 90MB to 138MB free memory.

Options

49 Posts

06-17-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2011-09-07, 18:04 PM

I listed everything that is running in my original post. I don't know why it takes up so much memory but before I installed Auto Memory Manager I had less than 10mb available and often less than 5mb. To say my phone lagged is an understatement. Today I am trying a live wallpaper and everytime I unlock it, it comes up instantly and I can scroll the home pages smoothly. I wouldn't mind freeing up more memory but as of now, the phone is at least responsive.

Options

49 Posts

06-17-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2011-09-07, 18:23 PM

There are a few things I would like to get rid of but don't know how. I reinstalled Watchdog Lite and noticed some items I can do without:

Market (Service)        23.6MB  I assume this tells me when updates are available -- I can do that manually.

DLNA   (Foreground) 11.7 MB  Rarely if ever use DLNA so why is it a foreground process???

My Verizon Mobile (Background) 12.0 MB  Haven't opened it today, yet it is running in the background.

Gesture Search (Background)     23.4 MB Haven't used it since I rebooted the phone. Why is it running?

Suggestions (Background) 12.1 MB  What is this? I never use it.

USB (Foreground)             11.9MB    The phone has not been plugged in today, yet the USB app is running?

Sync Service (Service)      12.0MB     How many sync services do I really need? What is the best way to sync calendars and contacts so I don't have multiple sync services running.

Voicemail (Background)     11.7MB       Haven't used it today or since phone was booted. Why is it running?

Calorie Counter (Background) 11.9MB   I have never used this app. Time to uninstall it I guess.

Backup Assistant (Service) 11.6MB      See Sync Service above.

Options

394 Posts

10-07-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2011-09-07, 21:06 PM

Most of the programs you list in this second post run  in the background of all our phones, that's just the way Moto and Verizon coded them. No tmuch we can do about that. For Syncing, you may want to go into settings to set your preferences, including, only over wifi, to reduce battery consumption.

Other than that, nothing seems out of the ordinary. Have you tried clearing your cache partition?

I think if you look through the forum, there should be instructions for this. All it does is clear the phone's entire cache. It does not affect your apps, or settings in anyway, but it may help with your low memory problems. If you can't find it, I can post the instructions later. Right now I don't have them handy.

Options

49 Posts

06-17-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2011-09-07, 21:44 PM

I've cleared the cache numerous times after both Gingerbread updates.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms