Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aptiva
What's DOS?
Views: 106
Message 1 of 5

Bootloader unlocking roadmap

Is Motorola going to release a roadmap to what phones will recieve unlocked bootloaders or is the Moto Droid X even going to recieve an unlocked bootloader?  

Just curious as my phone has been EOL for months, however development for it has been very active even afterwards, but is limited due to the locked bootloader.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 5

Re: Bootloader unlocking roadmap

I doubt that you will ever see an unlocked bootloader on the X. This is something that Verizon really doesn't want and Motorola isn't going to start unlocking the bootloaders with "carrier approval". You should move to another manufacturer if you want the capability of an unlocked bootloader. There are choices available if you can move to another phone. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Highlighted
Aptiva
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 5

Unfortunately it doesn't help, but it is probably the best answer I will see. Verizon claims it makes the network insecure, but that just means their network is already shady. Other manufacturers (HTC, Samsung, LG, etc) have the capability and have done it without the carrier's approval with the exception of the VZW SGS3, which is causing a lot of ruckus as it is since VZW FORCED the locked bootloader.  I personally don't even use my DX on Verizon not that I would want their service anyways.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 4 of 5

"Is Motorola going to release a roadmap to what phones will recieve unlocked bootloaders or is the Moto Droid X even going to recieve an unlocked bootloader?"

In my opinion, in a word, "no".   It may well be as industry trends demand/dictate changes that future iterations of Motorola phones will potentially either have unlockable boot loaders or a sanctioned migration path to same, I do not believe that it will be retroactive on any previously released devices (there could be rare exceptions).  Again, this is my opinion based upon observations and not based upon any insider information.     --- Dan

Techrep2go1
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 5

Android is a LINUX based OS and should be true to its open source roots! All Android devices should have unlockable boot-loader. If I had know Motorola was operated by a bunch of fascists I would have gotten a HTC phone instead|