Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveDROID X by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

43 Posts

08-31-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 11 of 25

Re: Can we get a real update on where the Droid X falls into Motorola's plans?

2012-02-18, 16:52 PM

richardeid said:

... I also got the message about the soak test.  And I know we're not supposed to discuss anything about it, but I did have a question regarding the survey.  When it asked me to enter my HEX MEID number it said that it should be all numbers.  But when I did the *#06# my HEX MEID number had letters as well(because HEX also uses ABCDEF).  It was the 14-digit one they were talking about in the survey.  A decimal value also appeared for the MEID in the same window, but it was 18-digits.  The survey specifically asked for a 14-digit number, with numbers only though.  There was a mention regarding making sure all the info was absolutely correct because of troubles they've had in the past with certain aspects of the soak test and I really don't wanna make this difficult for Moto, so I hope there wasn't a problem with me entering in some info that wasn't exactly what was being asked for.  Any one have any input on that? ...

You are absolutely correct - it should say 14-character HEX MEID. After you open your dialer and enter *#06#, use the "HEX:" result in your MFN registration and you should be good to go.

Options

49 Posts

06-17-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 12 of 25

2012-02-18, 18:08 PM

cinderbloke said:

According to the PDF that's now available on VZW's website for DX support, the new software is 4.5.621.MB810.Verizon.en.US

RELEASE NOTES:

Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a new software update, 4.5.621.MB810.Verizon.en.US, for your DROID X by MOTOROLA.

Over the Air Updates
+ Prevents lockups or resets after the Over the Air (OTA) update.
+ OTA update notice screen displays the correct estimated update time.

Device Features
+ Improved browser security with the Google Security Patch from Android 2.3.6.
+ Fixed issue where the device may power ON without user interaction.
+ Resolved possible device resets while playing music.
+ Adjusted camera settings will be saved, even after the device is powered down.
+ Reduced Out of Memory errors.
+ WAV files can be played from Visual Voice Mail.
+ Device is enabled with the Wireless Alerting System.
+ Improved stability of Music Player reduces resets.
+ Shortcuts to applications remain on the device even after applications are moved to the SD card.

Email, Messaging & Data
+ Improved connectivity with 3G Mobile Hotspot data connectivity.
+ Addressed error that replicated thumbnails in message threads.
+ Corrected errors where Yahoo! mail notifications were not displayed properly.
+ Reduced duplicate message errors.
+ Improved ability to access and receive Gmail when the Mobile Hotspot is turned on.
+ Sorted contact groups.
+ Device recognizes Multimedia ringtones after purchase.

Accessories
+ Button background lighting turns off while in the desktop cradle

I'm really confused. I was asked to join a "soak test" last night and as part of the sign-up I had to agree to keep it confidential yet one day later VERIZON is announcing an update to the Droid X. Is this the same update? If so, it's not a very well kept secret!

Options

43 Posts

08-31-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 13 of 25

2012-02-18, 18:58 PM

brucefan42 said:

I'm really confused. I was asked to join a "soak test" last night and as part of the sign-up I had to agree to keep it confidential yet one day later VERIZON is announcing an update to the Droid X. Is this the same update? If so, it's not a very well kept secret!

Yeah, I think it's the same release. The timing is a little off on this ... Moto's & VZW's confidence must already be high on this one. Even so, I expect that Moto still wants soakers to keep the results of the tests confidential until they've actually made the decision to ship it out to the masses. In cases like this I'm sure that if some major defect is discovered by the soak VZW will just pull the PDF off their site until the software is right.

Options

24 Posts

01-28-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 14 of 25

2012-02-18, 20:57 PM

pegleg said:

If  it is just a VZW system update it can't be a very big deal.  It would be nice to not have the phone turning itself back on all the time.  I think most of my 3G issues are due to lousy coverage from VZW where I live.  Don't know if the supposed arrival of 4G here  willimprove that since the towers are so far apart.

Given the age of the X I doubt much of significance will be changed.  As with other Moto products the time it takes to FIX issues with a product is just so long that the product is obsolete before the fixes appear.  Maybe this is a problem between Moto and VZW and not just Moto?

VZW doesn't do updates, Motorola does.  VZW just pushes them to us.  Looks like the problem with turning itself back on is resolved.

See this  http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/17/droid-x-update-is-build-4-5-621-fixes-a-whole-bunch-of-bugs/

Options

15438 Posts

02-04-2016

United States of America

260 Signins

3971 Page Views

• Views: 3971
  • Message 15 of 25

2012-02-19, 0:18 AM

For all those that are in the soak or were asked to be in it should really not be talking about it. Talking about it is direct violation of the nondisclosure agreement that you had to e-sign in order become eligible for software testing.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Options

24 Posts

01-28-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 16 of 25

2012-02-19, 0:38 AM

joelbon said:

For all those that are in the soak or were asked to be in it should really not be talking about it. Talking about it is direct violation of the nondisclosure agreement that you had to e-sign in order become eligible for software testing.

There's a SOAK.  Very cool, thanks for informing. 

Remember the first rule of SOAK....er....eh,  oh that was Fight Club.

Just curious what are the consequences of violating the NDA?

Options

61 Posts

02-15-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 17 of 25

2012-02-19, 0:47 AM

brucefan42 said:

Hi brucefan42, et al,

Being confused with Motorola is normal. These "previews" or "soaks" are not what you think. In fact, even many of the participants are confused about them---I was the first time I participated.

First, they are NOT beta tests where you are given a chance to test a pre-release copy of their software and help them debug and improve it. I wish that was the case because then these exercises would actually be useful.

What Motorola appears to want is for you to generate a good "buzz" about the pending software update. So they seed a copy of the finished software to a "soak" or "preview" group a few days before the general release. They hope that members of this early group will feel like they are important, be impressed with the software and talk it up in the forums, tweets and blogs. They're looking for good press (again, good "buzz").

If you find problems with the software such as errors or features that either don't work, work incorrectly or are missing, they will not be addressed in this software release. Remember, it is not a "beta". You are previewing a final ready-to-be-released version of their software and they have no plans to change it at this late stage in their development process. I don't think that they expect you to find any problems and they are unprepared to deal with them if you do. The software will be released to everyone in the same condition that you find it (usually within a few days after the early group receives it).

That's what makes the process so frustrating for some participants. You can spend gobs of time testing, documenting and reporting problems and it doesn't do any good. All they promise to do is to take your findings under advisement for the next update if there ever is another update).

Furthermore, in order to participate in the "soak" or "preview" group, you must promise not to discuss your findings until they say it is okay. This often creates a problem because the general public may begin to receive the software within a few days after you get it and you cannot warn them of problems that you find until a later time.

I've been a software developer since the early 90's. Before that, I was a beta tester for Adobe and helped with such famous programs as Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. In my many years in the software industry, I have never seen a more insane system as the one used by Motorola. Since Motorola seems to have so much trouble producing good software, their "preview" process serves to frustrate, anger and alienate some of the most influential customers they have. I'm speaking here of the early-adopters, tech savvy and system administrators who usually need to get an early "heads up" as to what is coming so they can anticipate problems if they exist. The reason they feel hostility toward Motorola is they frequently find serious and significant problems and yet they are not addressed by Motorola and they are not allowed to talk about them to people outside the group until some time after the general release is underway.

If you participate in a "soak" or "preview" group, you obligate yourself to test the software and report what you find in a timely manner. Since this is not a beta test and your findings will not be used to change the pending release, it is largely an effort in futility. All it can really do is show you what to expect so you can prepare for any problems you find.

It's one more way that Motorola demonstrates a lack of respect for its customers---especially the more knowledgable ones that can actually provide some much needed feedback.

That's why I no longer participate in them and am under no nondisclosure agreement.

D.Harris

Options

15438 Posts

02-04-2016

United States of America

260 Signins

3971 Page Views

• Views: 3971
  • Message 18 of 25

2012-02-19, 1:38 AM

homeeey said:

joelbon said:

There's a SOAK.  Very cool, thanks for informing. 

Remember the first rule of SOAK....er....eh,  oh that was Fight Club.

Just curious what are the consequences of violating the NDA?

I am not admitting there is a soak. I have no first hand knowledge of a soak for the DX. I have never recieved an email to join a soak for the DX. I wouldn't have said that I did even if I did, but I haven't.

I was just stating that people shouldn't be talking about it if they want to be a part of a soak that they were invited to.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Options

26 Posts

01-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 19 of 25

2012-02-19, 2:06 AM

This is all kind of turning into a joke thanks to Motorola. Some very good points about the process have been presented here Motor and VZW should get their [removed] together

•  Edited for inappropriate language – please keep this conversation civil and family-friendly and follow our site rules. [1]

Options

18 Posts

02-19-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 20 of 25

2012-02-19, 5:02 AM

I am excited about any updates or continued support for the Droid X. This has been a solid phone for me for the past year and a half. Yes, Im looking to upgrade in a month or so, but the DX will be my backup incase the Razr Maxx breaks.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms