Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jack_Isidore
What's DOS?
Views: 889
Message 1 of 17

Cheap or defective Droid X buttons

One of the first things I noticed was that the menu, home, return and search buttons felt cheap and loose.  The more I use it, the more I notice this looseness.  Also, now it seems as though the menu/home buttons are looser than the return/search buttons.  I know I use these buttons more and I'm hoping they aren't loosening up and my mind is playing tricks on me.  The camera button is the same way, but to some extent I can dismiss this as being somewhat nessesary because it has to have two depression states.

I've heard many people say they notice this, and other say not at all or they do but it doesn't bother them.  Am I being OCD, are there other people who feel their buttons are so loose that it may be a manufacturing defect?  In an attempt to quantify the play my menu/home buttons have, they rock vertically so that the corner travels about a milimeter.  I don't know how else to describe it, but hopefully that will give people an idea if I'm being crazy or if mine happen to have much more play than other's.  The other two move less, and have more of a sliding motion as opposed to rocking.

Maybe I'm a picky consumer, but as it is now, I'm going to assume this is either a manufacturing defect that will be fixed in future versions, or motorola after all these years can't design and implement a good set of buttons.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 17

Re: Cheap or defective Droid X buttons

I personally think that they were designed to be a little loose.  It keeps them from wearing out over time.  I like these better than the capacitive buttons on the original Droid since I am now not always accidentally hitting them and doing things on the phone that I really don't want to do.  This is just my opinion of course.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Administrator
Administrator
Message 3 of 17

If I were you, I would go back to the store and look at other Xs to see if yours is the same or different. You can either switch for one that seems more solid, if yours is an outlier, or decide to go with another phone or live with it. Why suffer?

Hope you find one that is comfortable for you.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Jack_Isidore
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 17

I guess the stores have demo units still despite being sold out, so I may do that.

For the time being I am using a silicone case which covers the buttons and so it is not noticeable.  At that point, my only concern is that I would be ignoring a legitimate issue which could be a problem later on.

MWeiland
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 17

same problem here with the same 2 buttons.  the back/search buttons seems solid.  the phone was like that out of the box.  doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

Jack_Isidore
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 17

If it were a design feature, I would at least expect all four buttons to have the same movement.

For what it's worth, I have calculators from the 80s that have been used heavily for over two decades, do not rattle around, and have not worn out.  I didn't see on the feature list where it says "Loose buttons that will last a lifetime"

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 7 of 17

I have a calculator that is also from the 80's and the keys have never been firm.  They have always had a loose feel to them and they still work great.  A looser button will not bind as easily as a firm one in most cases.  I am not an engineer and I am only guessing on this so just take it with a grain of salt.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Jack_Isidore
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 17

Well, I am an engineer but not a button engineer nor do I know any button engineers or I'd ask them. 

These HP calculators were known for their good buttons.  I have also had phones with firm buttons that didn't break down on me so I think it is entirely possible, especially for a company who has been making cell phones since the beginning.  Surely you agree at some point if it's so loose, any gain in longevity is not worth the cheap feeling.  Yours may not be as loose as mine, so it might not just be an issue of personal preference.

XFistsClenchedX
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 17

I have a black silicone case over my Droid X as well.  As far as I can tell, my buttons aren't loose at all, including the camera button.

ThoughtsExisten
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 17

My home and menu buttons are solid but return and search are loose.