Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrack42
What's DOS?
Views: 124
Message 1 of 4

Droid X Camera/Camcorder App

I've had my Droid X for about a year and a half.  Since the beginning, the camera/video functions have been sketchy.  The camcorder would work about half the time.  Then (unrelated, I think) my SD card blew out.  I got a new, better SD Card (32G, class 4), and suddenly, my camera/video was working much better.  THEN, a few months later, both completely siezed up.  The camera app would start, but in seconds, it would lock up, the picture display would lock, and I couldn't do anything.  Same goes for the camcorder app.  So, I then downloaded and tried out a few camera apps from the Play Store... all of which worked.

Still, I was curious... what is going on w/ my camera apps?  I restarted, pulled the battery, cleared the cache... no improvement.  Earlier tonight, I went to a class on Android phones at a Verizon store... thought I might get something useful out of it.  It was pretty much basic stuff, but after the class, I spoke w/ the rep about my camera problems.  She said that they have seen a lot of Droid X phones, whose camera apps just flat out stop working.  She said even a factory reset has historically failed to help.

I find it pretty disgusting that a phone, marketed as a "multimedia phone", with (at the time) state of the art picture and video capture abilities would be plagued by these issues, and left unresolved.  I got a Droid X because I wanted to capture my son's life... he's almost a year old now, and over that year, I can't tell you how many videos I tried to take, that ended up corrupted, if not completely failing to capture.

Anyone else who has seen this problem, all the advice I have is "Get UCam"... great camera app, 10x better, and 1000x more reliable than the stock camera/camcorder apps on the Droid X.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 2 of 4

Re: Droid X Camera/Camcorder App

Hello, if your native camera/camcorder app does not work, but your add-on apps do, it sounds as though you have a software conflict on your phone.  Have you tried putting your phone into safe mode yet?  If your native camera/camcorder now functions as Motorola intended, you have a third party application interfering with the proper operation of the native application.   With all due respect to the lady you spoke with regarding the native camera/camcorder app still not working after a factory data reset, the only way I can imagine that happening is if someone is allowing Google to download the same third party applications to the phone after the factory data reset that were the problem from the onset.    --- Dan

mrack42
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 4

Considering this has been seen by a Verizon employee, including after a factory reset... perhaps the software conflict exists beween the camera app... and a Verizon bloatware app?  There was Madden, and Need for Speed, and a bunch of other crap on it, out the box, unremoveable.  Frankly, I saw it myself... I've done a factory reset on that phone previously, and saw the same sketchy behavior.  When she said it, it made perfect sense based on my experience.  I don't know.  Maybe there's a hardware flaw that exists in 1% of Droid Xs.  Maybe it's isolated to my geographic region for whatever reason.  Who knows.  I can tell you I had this problem CONSTANTLY, and a Verizon employee has seen this problem many times.

Good news is, it is no longer a problem.  I got a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and I can't keep my hands off it.  I managed to capture my sons first step w/ it.  Had it happened while I had the Droid X, before I knew to not use the stock camera/camcorder app... I give it one chance in three.

I'll let you know how Jellybean is.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 4 of 4

mrack42 said:

Considering this has been seen by a Verizon employee, including after a factory reset... perhaps the software conflict exists beween the camera app... and a Verizon bloatware app?  There was Madden, and Need for Speed, and a bunch of other crap on it, out the box, unremoveable.  Frankly, I saw it myself... I've done a factory reset on that phone previously, and saw the same sketchy behavior.  When she said it, it made perfect sense based on my experience.  I don't know.  Maybe there's a hardware flaw that exists in 1% of Droid Xs.  Maybe it's isolated to my geographic region for whatever reason.  Who knows.  I can tell you I had this problem CONSTANTLY, and a Verizon employee has seen this problem many times.

Good news is, it is no longer a problem.  I got a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and I can't keep my hands off it.  I managed to capture my sons first step w/ it.  Had it happened while I had the Droid X, before I knew to not use the stock camera/camcorder app... I give it one chance in three.

I'll let you know how Jellybean is.

Thank you for the rapid response.  Congratulations on the Galaxy Nexus acquisition, I hope it serves you well.   --- Dan