cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keatingt
Punch Card
Views: 118
Message 1 of 8

Droid X Extended Life (from a Frugal User)

I had been thinking about replacing my two-year old Droid X.  I was starting to get a small area of faded pixels in about the center of the screen which seemed to be growing.  Also, my battery life was getting really short.

I decided to try a new battery though, because it was so cheap on Amazon and I was headed out of town.  While replacing the battery, I noticed the old one was swelling in the middle.  With the replacement in, the faded screen area was gone immediately.  Must have been the bulging battery pressing on the back of the screen.

So now I think I'll keep it for a while.  I like the phone, never had any problems, and I don't want to mess with my grandfathered plan.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 8

Re: Droid X Extended Life (from a Frugal User)

Glad to hear that you had such a cheap fix for the problem. I also believe that you are right about the bulging battery pushing against the screen. I have seen that in other posts as well.

Good luck to you with the X. I still have mine and it functions just as well today as it did when I first got it. If you do have to get another phone than the only way you are going to keep you unlimited data is by purchasing the phone at full price.

I have had pretty good luck with buying my phones direct off of Ebay. This is to say you need to do business with high rated sellers and check the ESN number with Verizon before you pay for the phone to make sure that it is clean. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Doreen
802.11n
Message 3 of 8

Yippee...another great story.

I keep 2 extended batteries at all times.

I noticed one of my batteries was draining every few hours, so I was determined to find out why, and I discovered my WiFi was accidentally was turned one.

My prob was instantly fixed.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 4 of 8

Doreen said:

Yippee...another great story.

I keep 2 extended batteries at all times.

I noticed one of my batteries was draining every few hours, so I was determined to find out why, and I discovered my WiFi was accidentally was turned one.

My prob was instantly fixed.

View original

I've found this Wi-Fi thing to be true also on my other Droid series of phones...I use Wi-Fi at home, but if I forget to turn it off there is a definite hit on my battery life when I am out and about, regardless of which phone I am using.   --- Dan

Doreen
802.11n
Message 5 of 8

Dan....unless I am printing I rarely turn mine on.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 6 of 8

OP said:

"While replacing the battery, I noticed the old one was swelling in the middle."

I have found once in a great while a Li-On battery will out-gas, and it's this that causes the swelling that the outer protective covering of the battery, mercifully, protects from leaking (whatever?) into the phone.  I'm happy to hear that the battery replacement was such an easy fix.   --- Dan

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 7 of 8

DansDroid said

have found once in a great while a Li-On battery will out-gas

I have never seen a battery fart before. I bet it could really be shocking, huh?

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 8 of 8

"I had been thinking about replacing my two-year old Droid X.  I was starting to get a small area of faded pixels in about the center of the screen which seemed to be growing.  Also, my battery life was getting really short.

I decided to try a new battery though, because it was so cheap on Amazon and I was headed out of town.  While replacing the battery, I noticed the old one was swelling in the middle.  With the replacement in, the faded screen area was gone immediately.  Must have been the bulging battery pressing on the back of the screen."

I didn't mention in my previous post that there is a temporary solution to the "bulging battery" problem.  This is not advocated by Motorola, but you can carefully take a sharp object (a small sharp knife blade or scalpel, always use safety glasses just to be on the safe side) and, at a 45 degree angle very carefully put a tiny hole in the outer covering of the battery approximately at the apex of the bulge on one side of the battery only*Never* push a sharp object directly down into the battery itself or have electrically conductive metal touch the battery contacts..  The effects of this are immediate, the battery will resume it's normal shape within seconds, especially if you press down on the protective external cover of the battery.  This is a stop gap measure intended for a short term solution until you can get your battery replaced ASAP.   --- Dan