Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DHudson
What's DOS?
Views: 1,016
Message 1 of 12

Droid X: Light Sensor Issue

Hello:

I recently bought a refurbished Droid X from MySupplyWorld.com. (Verizon labled phone - PagePlus network). It works pretty well basically but I'm having an issue with the light sensor. If I'm in a well lit room everything functions fine. However if I am in a darker room the backlight and all the hard buttons (Menu, Home, Back, Search) light up and if they are lit up they don't function. As soon as the light goes off the buttons function as normal.  My question is - is this the default behavior of the phone or do I have a defective phone. I have a short window of time to either exchange or return the phone. By the way - the tech support staff at MySupplyWorld had me remove and reinsert the battery as well as do a Factory Reset but neither seemed to help. I hope someone can help me out.

Thanks, David

luilao
802.11n
Message 2 of 12

Re: Droid X: Light Sensor Issue

Might be a rooted device.. I'm not sure how you can use a Verizon phone to another carrier... and if it is rooted we really can't help that much..

DHudson
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 12

The device is not rooted - Page Plus Cellular uses the Verizon network and Verizon phones (and others possibly but most users who are using page plus cellular use verizon branded phones.) I did manage to find a thread on here that talks about problems with Gingerbread and the light sensor causing the buttons to stay on - apparently Froyo did not cause problems with this) but no solutions to speak of.  My phone is running 4.5.621 - Android 2.3.4. Hope this information is helpful.

luilao
802.11n
Message 4 of 12

Thanks for correcting me about page plus blush smiley but you already tried to reset the device right? 

DHudson
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 12

Yes - the tech support people from the place I bought the phone had me do a battery removal and reinsert and then a Factory Data Reset - same results. As I originally stated - if the room is adequately lit (lots of sunlight or florescent lighting the lights don't come on but in a darker environment the lights come on and never go out. If you hold the phone under a light source the lights will go out. I just wanted to find out if this was behavior Moto planned on or if I was dealing with something else.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 12

That is not the way it should be working. I suggest that you get it exchanged for a different phone. If you have already reset it and the problem continues than it must be a hardware problem. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

luilao
802.11n
Message 7 of 12

Yes it does work that way, if the place is well lighted the backlight will not turn on same with the keys. It will remain on if the screen is active. If the device goes on screen timeout it will automatically switch off the backlight. You said that the problem is that if the buttons are light up it does not respond right? Then that seem to be a problem.. If I were you i'll try to go back to the store and check if they have other Droid X and compare if it does do that.. 

DHudson
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 12

Thanks everyone for your responses. Looks like I will try an exchange. I don't want to go with another manufacturer but I will if I have to. I will keep you updated on my results.

Regards, David

DHudson
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 12

Hi Again:

One last item before I exchange my phone - whether or not the menu, home, back, or search buttons are lighted the key should still function - am I safe in assuming that? That seems logical but wanted to make sure.

Regards,

David

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 10 of 12

I have a DX and my buttons work whether they are lit or not. They should always work if the phone is turned on and booted up properly. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.