cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
XF_fan
What's DOS?
Views: 237
Message 1 of 12

Encrypted bootloader? why motorola? WHY?!!?!?!

Dear Motorola, how do you release such a awesome piece of equipment, and then you lock customers out of FULL customization. Look at the cult following the droid has BECAUSE of all the customizable options. Help your customers out and do not restrict access to the B.L.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 12

Re: Encrypted bootloader? why motorola? WHY?!!?!?!

It helps to keep the general masses from getting into trouble with the phone which help reduce the "my phone is broken" calls to the call centers.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

dustinmj
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 12

If this were true Moto could simply give the option of unlocking the bootloader and voiding the warranty of the device similar to the Nexus One, problem solved.

The general masses are your users, who probably don't appreciate being treated like a child (we don't need locks on the cupboards, thanks).

From what I understand, Moto has gone further by using an eFuse switch on top of the encrypted bootloader.

While this may prevent a few 'my phone is broken' calls, it also makes a huge statement to the user that: 'Hey, we know you just dropped $620 on this thing (after tax), and if you try to mod it, we've made sure you'll have a $620 paperweight hahahahahah".

Here's 1,961 lost sales (at the time of this posting) as a direct result of this: http://www.droid-life.com/2010/07/12/monday-poll-locked-droid-x-bootloader-is-a-deal-breaker/

@MOTO... you need to get your act together.

steven_rn
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 12

I'm not a hotshot kid.  I'm mid-50's, have years of corporate background.  I hope you take a moment to read this and perhaps comment.

Building the method to brick the phone into the HARDWARE via SOFTWARE is a recipe for disaster.

It only takes ONE hacker ONE success with a widespread trojan to brick multiple thousands, or even tens of thousands of phones, in short order.  Didn't you watch Apple stock dive over an antenna problem?  You couldn't even begin to calculate the stock loss to Motorola/VZW if that scenario ever comes to pass.

Haven't you thought of the headlines when folks DO start bricking phones and complaining?  Let's say 200 casual users brick the phones by Efuse.  Once the headlines start popping up in GOOGLE NEWS / SCI TECH  like the antenna worries/calls for Iphone recalls/Consumer reports start popping up, and they WILL get nagging.... kiss Motorola Momentum goodbye.

Or perhaps, one disgruntled engineer manages to slip something into a OTA update.  I can't imagine the atmosphere in the Dev lab there.  They have got to be nervously watching each other and never quite trusting each other not to deep six the company- and cost them their jobs as market share plunges.

I used to work for Cadillac Division of GM Corp. in marketing.  Ask me what a bad model can do for your market share.

There were SO many ways around this.  Efuse may prove your undoing.  You're not dealing with kids with Xboxes.

Yep.  I'll still get a Droid X.  Love the screen.  But if any of this comes to pass, I know I'll be buying someone elses phone next year, and the subsequent 15 or 20 years after that.

I hope it doesn't happen.  Just like the Motorola 68000 chip deserved so much more than it got, I fear you may have shot yourself in the foot again.  Ask the boys around Motorola who have been there for a long time how quickly momentum can be lost over perceived issues and values.  Learn from your past.  Protect your stock value, and the employees stock buy-in programs.

Or not.  Ultimately, those core issues to you will be of no consequence to the end user.  Please reconsider how to "protect" us in a different way.  Amen.

AuntKris
WWAN
Message 5 of 12

Because Motorola has never and will never support or condone rooting your phones.

AuntKris
WWAN
Message 6 of 12

Also I just read up on the eFuse......what I'm reading seems to indicate an efuse can change a chip to do something different even after its been installed.  The Xbox 360 uses them and I don't see anyone complaining about that.  I don't see how an eFuse could brick your phone.

rockingtushar
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 12

this is a really stupid move by motorola. the modding community of droid is a big reason why droid still sells in high numbers. i helped neutralise the advantage other phones like the nexus one had in terms of hardware. my motorola milestone is going to be the last phone from motorola. it is painful watching the droid community flourish while the milestone community going down the drain just because of the arrogance of motorola. this is against the spirit of android.

AuntKris
WWAN
Message 8 of 12

There are only 2 phones out there besides the original Droid that do not have the encrypted boot loader.

they are the Android developer phone or the nexus one.  Those two phones were specifically made to be developer friendly.

I have read up more on the efuse and I can see how it would brick a phone.  specifically because that's the way motorola has programmed it.

I have also read that motorola encrypts their bootloaders for a reason.  They are not in the market of making developer phones, their phones are meant for the consumer and android application developers.  not ROM developers.  If you want to be a ROM developer then you should be buying the Developer phone.  Just my two cents.

dustinmj
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 12

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/07/14/chance-of-unlocking-verizons-motorola-droid-x-gets-even-lowe...

Here comes the bad PR Sanjay... it's all down hill from here as I'm sure you know.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 10 of 12

I don't know how this would be bad news for Motorola because they said here that if you want custom ROMs you should just go to another phone like a Google ADP1 developer phone or a Nexus One.  I am sure they are already prepared for people to start complaining about it, but since they already said this all the hackers might as well move on and just get over it.  It may not be what the hackers want and it may not be fair in their eyes, but it is Motorola's decision and Motorola will have to live with it.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.