Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
debit
What's DOS?
Views: 10,045
Message 1 of 9

How to view encrypted files via computer on Droid X

I am using Gingerbread's encryption feature.  I took a bunch of photos on vacation, went to transfer them to my computer via USB cable, and was dismayed to find they came across as "unknown files".  They had the correct name and jpg extension, but I couldn't view the photos.

This is only true of photos I have taken since encrypting the device.

I tried disabling the encryption feature, and doing it again, with the same result.

What am I doing wrong?  How can I view my own files, while still using encryption?  Also, where is the encryption feature documentation located?

Thanks

Deborah

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 9

Re: How to view encrypted files via computer on Droid X

I probably won't be able to help you, but I would like to give you the information that I did find. This thread is a great place to start and it has a couple of links in it to a couple of other threads.

According to what I read, you should be able to attach the phone to the computer and still have access to the card's data. I find it strange that you even decrypted the card and still can't get access to it.

Let me ask around a little and see if I can get you some help.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

debit
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 9

Here's some further follow-up

The good news is that even while SD card is encrypted, I can email a picture or a text file, and it is usable on the other end, which is what I would expect.

What I find strange is that I cannot view the same text file, or photos taken since encryption began, via USB on my computer.  In fact, I can't even see the text file.  The photo files can be seen, but aren't recognized as photos.

If I decrypt my card, and power down/up, I still can't read the photo files.  I can see the text files, but their contents remain "scrambled".

I already know that that I can sync my calendar and contacts with Outlook with no problem.

So it seems that the encryption logic is different than what I would expect, and for no good reason that I can understand.  If my phone is stolen and the SD card is removed, I would expect it to remain encrypted.  If the phone is stolen and the SD card remains in it, it is protected by my password.  If someone cracks my password, they can email all my files.  But I can't view my files with the phone as USB mass storage device.   Doesn't make sense to me.

Can anyone from Motorola or Google explain?

tom_guyette
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 9

I'm having this problem too -- photos taken after a certain point just won't view when copied to Windows, but view fine on the phone.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 5 of 9

I can't explain, but if you turn decryption off, then open your picture on the phone. Then try to transfer to PC, does it make a difference?

If not, then there is definitely a problem in the decryption logic - but it seems like there is anyway, as you should not have to turn decryption off to access your own files - at least from what i have seen.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
patrickedout
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 9

has anyone figured this out yet?? i am having the exact same problem and i cannot find a single forum or article that has a solution to this? multiple forums just pose the exact question! lol. so frustrating.

tom_guyette
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 9

I followed up with technical support about this and asked them to verify and add it to their knowledgebase.  Here's what I sent them:

Symptom: 

When memory card encryption is enabled on an     Android phone, jpeg (jpg) images copied from the Camera     application's storage location on the SD card can be copied to a PC,     but can not be viewed on the PC.  These images can be viewed on the     phone, but appear as a generic icon in the Windows Explorer     thumbnail view, and return error messages from PC-based image     viewing applications when opened.

Cause:

Jpeg (jpg) images taken by the Droid Camera     application are encrypted when they are stored on the memory card.      When copied using USB mode, the files are not decrypted during     transfer; they are copied to Windows as non-viewable encrypted files     with a .jpg file extension.

Solution:

1) Follow the instructions for copying files from your phone to the     PC found in

knowledge       base article 48689

2) In step 5, select "PC" instead of "USB Mass Storage."  This     enables decryption during copy operations from the SD card.

3) Continue the remainder of the steps in the article.

If you are copying a large batch of images, you may need to turn off     the screen lock timeout on your phone; otherwise, long Windows copy     operations will freeze when the phone enters password lock mode.      This is a security measure that protects encrypted files stored on     the SD card from being accessed when the phone is not unlocked.

hp5rebec
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 9

I followed the instructions, but when I switch the type of cable connection to 'PC', then I don't get a drive mapped to the SD card anymore. 

It looks like the only way I can transfer them with an encrypted SD card is to download the 'MotoConnect' 110 MB bloatware POS software from Motorola which I will not do, especially since it will take close to 30 minutes to download (Hey, Motorola - consider upgrading your bandwidth!).

I'm turning off SD encryption - as soon as I email my photos to my PC...grrr...

Answerer
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 9

Summary: With a Motorola Droid series phone using encryption, you have to click to use the phone as a "Media Device" -- not USB mass storage -- in order to decrypt files for transfer or viewing on a USB connected PC.

OP has stated she is using a Droid X with encryption enabled.

To view encrypted files on her PC while the phone is plugged into the USB connection, she should:

1. Plug in Droid phone via USB to PC. Make sure that the Droid is not locked, by entering your passcode, etc.

2. When symbol appears in notification bar at the top showing a USB connection of phone to PC, she should drag down from the top of the screen, and click on "Connected as a mass storage: touch for other USB options".

3. She should then click on "Connect as: Media device (MTP) -- Lets you transfer media files on Windows, or using Android File Transfer on Mac". (She may be prompted to install Motorola connection software, which she should allow.)

4. In Windows, she should then access My Computer, and, under Portable Devices, click on Droid 4. Within there, she will have access to "Internal storage" and "SD Card" (if any), and she can begin transferring decrypted files.

Source: I have a Droid phone with encryption enabled, and did this procedure to transfer files in a decrypted state.