Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brucefan42
What's DOS?
Views: 142
Message 1 of 21

I figured out why we are still getting updates

Motorola is updating the Droid X. Why all of a sudden are they doing this? Let's follow the events:

11/11/11 - Droid RAZR is released (no one is buying it)

1/?/12 - Droid RAZR available in white and purple (no one is buying them)

1/26/12 - Droid RAZR MAXX released (some people are buying it as this should have been the RAZR in the first place)

1/30/12 - Droid RAZR Developer edition announced (no developers are buying them)

2/?/12 - Droid RAZR Limited Edition in red for Verizon employees (try to sell on eBay but forced to keep them)

2/?/12 - Droid RAZR Red Carpet Edition (unclear whether actors/actresses will upload them on eBay)

2/22/12 - Droid X Soak test begins (update kills SBF and root access)

In summary, Motorola can't sell the RAZRs so they try to appeal to the developer community. Still no one is buying so they try to give them away. People they try to give them to are selling them on eBay (they can't even give this phone away) so they decide to brick or otherwise render useless the Droid X with the latest update. Other updates are sure to follow on other Droid models so beware. Once all Motorola Droids are rendered useless, then and only then will people consider an upgrade to the Droid RAZR. NOT!!!

Hopefully, Google will save this company from itself. In the meantime, I'm buying something else.

Doreen
802.11n
Message 2 of 21

Re: I figured out why we are still getting updates

Bruce....your theory does not hold water. My X is working with no real issues. My X is neither bricked or rendered useless after this last update.

brucefan42
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 21

Doreen said:

Bruce....your theory does not hold water. My X is working with no real issues. My X is neither bricked or rendered useless after this last update.

No offense but the reason you have no real issues is because you've never seen your phone work really well. Mine was working unbelieveably well before the update and now it is a POS. When I unlock my phone I have to wait for it to paint each individual widget and shortcut because it swapped my launcher out of memory. I try to enter text into the Google text box and the window and keyboard disappear because one or the other was swapped out of memory. Again, none of these things were happening before the update. I was loving my Droid X. Now I can't wait to get rid of it.

D_Harris1
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 21

Hi brucefan42,

Respectfully, I think the premise in the original post is untrue. I believe that Motorola is really trying to make improvements to the Droid X software. Their efforts are too late and not enough---but I have seen no evidence that they are trying to sabotage the remaining Droid X owners. On the contrary, they appear to be making good on their promise to help (abeit feebly). All of the Droid X phones in my care are better after the update.

I'd also like to see some sales figures for the Droid RAZR. I'm not aware that it is not selling well. And if it is not, I would blame the dismal state of the economy before I would blame Motorola. A lot of us are forced to hunker down financially right now.

As for the subjects of SBF's and full system access, Motorola has done similar things in the past. It is not unusual for them (and the other manufacturers) to implement new countermeasures to what they view as unauthorized access to the locked areas of their Android phones. I don't agree with their view and I have full system to all of my Droid X phones running 4.5.621 so your last point is partly untrue.

The true part is that you cannot use any of the existing unauthorized SPFs to restore an earlier version of Android onto your Droid X once it has been updated with 4.5.621. At least not yet ... give it time. But it is possible to maintain full system access today if you do your homework and take appropriate steps before installing the update.

D.Harris

JBass
Bit Torrent
Message 5 of 21

http://www.cases.com/blog/droid-razr-maxx-on-backorder/

Sales of the razr are so poor that they are out of stock...Laughing

4x4van
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 21

brucefan42 said:

Doreen said:

No offense but the reason you have no real issues is because you've never seen your phone work really well. Mine was working unbelieveably well before the update and now it is a POS. When I unlock my phone I have to wait for it to paint each individual widget and shortcut because it swapped my launcher out of memory. I try to enter text into the Google text box and the window and keyboard disappear because one or the other was swapped out of memory. Again, none of these things were happening before the update. I was loving my Droid X. Now I can't wait to get rid of it.

On the contrary..many of us have dX's that work really well.  I have had very few issues at all with my DX, from Froyo, through GB, and with each update as well.  None of the terrible things that you have experienced have reared their head with mine.  The only issue I am currently having is higher than normal battery drain, but I am working with that.

Doreen
802.11n
Message 7 of 21

Bruce it has been  said many times before....not every device is  for every person. I really hope you find your dream device, I really do. No one should be so unhappy with their phone.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 8 of 21

I have had very few problems with my DX as well. Even the Gingerbread upgrade wasn't a negative experience like so many others have had. I am in the same boat as Doreen. I really and truly hope that you find a phone that makes you happy.

I also love my Razr. I actually like the Razr more than my X. I have not had a Motorola phone that I didn't like. I am up to 5 now. That is starting back with the OG Droid. Good luck on finding something that makes you happy.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

brucefan42
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 21

JBass said:

http://www.cases.com/blog/droid-razr-maxx-on-backorder/

Sales of the razr are so poor that they are out of stock...Laughing

1. I did say that people WERE buying the MAXX.

2. The MAXX is shipping on 2/28 for a 2/26 order (not much of a backorder). 

3. Considering all the RAZRs were on a BOGO as recently as last Monday 2/22 (including the MAXX), it's kind of sad that they all aren't backordered. 

4. If the Droid X were given the BOGO treatment 2 weeks after release (like the MAXX), it would have been backordered for months. 

brucefan42
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 21

D.Harris said:

Hi brucefan42,

Respectfully, I think the premise in the original post is untrue. I believe that Motorola is really trying to make improvements to the Droid X software. Their efforts are too late and not enough---but I have seen no evidence that they are trying to sabotage the remaining Droid X owners. On the contrary, they appear to be making good on their promise to help (abeit feebly). All of the Droid X phones in my care are better after the update.

I'd also like to see some sales figures for the Droid RAZR. I'm not aware that it is not selling well. And if it is not, I would blame the dismal state of the economy before I would blame Motorola. A lot of us are forced to hunker down financially right now.

As for the subjects of SBF's and full system access, Motorola has done similar things in the past. It is not unusual for them (and the other manufacturers) to implement new countermeasures to what they view as unauthorized access to the locked areas of their Android phones. I don't agree with their view and I have full system to all of my Droid X phones running 4.5.621 so your last point is partly untrue.

The true part is that you cannot use any of the existing unauthorized SPFs to restore an earlier version of Android onto your Droid X once it has been updated with 4.5.621. At least not yet ... give it time. But it is possible to maintain full system access today if you do your homework and take appropriate steps before installing the update.

D.Harris

Thanks for your post and I appreciate your comments. I like to think that I do do my homework. However, for the first time I decided to sign up for the Soak Test and did not find out about RootKeeper until after the horse was out of the barn.

The sad thing is I was loving my Droid X for the last couple of months and now it is back to the laggy mess I had before I rooted it. The only thing I changed with root was local.prop (I installed ADW EX and changed local.prop to keep it in memory). I was even considering the RAZR MAXX but I couldn't convince my son to take the BOGO (he is headed for the iPhone on his next update because his Droid 2 has been a disaster -- on his 3rd one and he still has significant issues).