Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Administrator
Administrator
Views: 78
Message 11 of 21

Re: I figured out why we are still getting updates

With all due respect -- we're not really responsible for the performance of rooted phones. I know that sound harsh, but we have millions of Droid Xs out there. As d.harris pointed out, keeping the vast majority of unrooted devices in top shape has been problematic. Looking after the particular configuration of one owner is not in the cards.

So, while I sympathize with you and I'm sorry that you're having issues, we have never claimed to support root or its consequences. And again, like d.harris, I suspect that the community will figure out a way to address your issues.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
brucefan42
What's DOS?
Message 12 of 21

Matt (Forums Manager) said:

With all due respect -- we're not really responsible for the performance of rooted phones. I know that sound harsh, but we have millions of Droid Xs out there. As d.harris pointed out, keeping the vast majority of unrooted devices in top shape has been problematic. Looking after the particular configuration of one owner is not in the cards.

So, while I sympathize with you and I'm sorry that you're having issues, we have never claimed to support root or its consequences. And again, like d.harris, I suspect that the community will figure out a way to address your issues.

Matt

Thank you for your response. I do not expect you to support me as an individual. Why should you? Naturally, your priority is the vast majority of users that do not root their phone. I never rooted my phone until about 2 months ago. The only reason I did it was because I was really liking ADW EX launcher and I wanted to keep it in memory all the time. My phone was running FANTASTIC. I was loving it. It was like a brand new phone. Then I made the mistake of signing up for the soak test. Had I waited until the official roll-out of 621, I would have taken precautions and my phone would still be working great. Now, every time I watch the widgets and shortcuts repaint (about a 10 second delay) I curse Motorola for not being straight with me and the rest of the testers. I feel like it was an intentional blindside and that was what prompted my post.

As far as you and D.Harris indicating that "the community will figure it out", why do we have to play this game. If your company knows it is inevitable, why do you bother? With other companies (most recently HTC) opening up, why not follow suit and not, as D.Harris so eloquently put it in another post, "pi$$ off your customers", (primarily the developers who appreciate the quality of your hardware)?

D_Harris1
What's DOS?
Message 13 of 21

brucefan42 said:
... why do we have to play this game ...

Hi brucefan42,

I have an idea---but it's disgusting:  I believe that some of the seemingly asinine decisions and policies are made for legal reasons. And the more lawyers there are in positions of power within an organization, the worse it seems to get.

We live in a horribly litigious world.

D.Harris

Gwelch1
What's DOS?
Message 14 of 21

Not selling? Have you been hiding under a rock these last couple years? The droid X was out for about a year when I got mine 2-2011. Even then I paid 300$ for it. Had I known to wait another 45 days I could have gotten it for $50. The economy is rough & when motorola found ppl still wanted the droid they developed them for businesses & consumers. For surfers & workers. The 2010 droid X (my friend owns) never had problems w updates, my 2011 droid X had problems w froyo but not gingerbread. Then theres this new system. It has major faults, but the razr reminds me of the good ol smooth DROID (my husband & daughter own). If a business can afford to give away something they pay very little for, knowing they will get more $ back each month in service fees, thats good business in todays economy.
Do u think FORD was perfect with the 2nd or 3rd model vehicle that rolled out of the factory? Shoot, they still do recalls.
brucefan42
What's DOS?
Message 15 of 21

BTW. ICS runs GREAT on the Droid X. I would bet having 221MB of available RAM instead of 20MB (like I had with the 621) might have something to do with it.

sparky57
What's DOS?
Message 16 of 21

I've had my Droid X now for almost 2 years. Never rooted and has the latest update. I turn my phone off each night put it on the charger until the next morning. When I turn it on it behaves like a new phone....for about 2-3 hours. Then the fun (frustration) begins. Where do I start: random reboots, gps not working at times, very slow in reacting to my inputs, gets hot, place a phone call and wait about a minute for the process to complete.....and more. Just want it to work like it is supposed to all the time.

D_Harris1
What's DOS?
Message 17 of 21

sparky57 said:

I've had my Droid X now for almost 2 years. Never rooted and has the latest update. I turn my phone off each night put it on the charger until the next morning. When I turn it on it behaves like a new phone....for about 2-3 hours. Then the fun (frustration) begins. Where do I start: random reboots, gps not working at times, very slow in reacting to my inputs, gets hot, place a phone call and wait about a minute for the process to complete.....and more. Just want it to work like it is supposed to all the time.

Hi sparky57,

My experience with the Droid X has taught me that the safest way to install a system update is to wipe the phone's system cache and do a factory data reset both before and after the update. Each time you do the factory data reset, you should also clear your phone's memory card. This is a major inconvenience but it seems to be the best way to avoid problems that can result from the update process. (I posted a discussion elsewhere in this forum detailing the reasons for this.)

Obviously it's too late for you to do the "before" part but I recommend that you do the "after" part now. The factory data reset and clearing the memory card will require you to back up your data and media files first. After the factory data reset, you will need to reinstall your apps and restore all of your settings. But you should be rewarded with a better working phone.

I oversee a number of Droid X phones and none of them are having the problems you've described. It is possible to have a better-working phone after the 621 update to GB 2.3.4. But it requires a bit of extra care as described above. Overall I'm happy with the update because it's a step in the right direction---it may not have addressed all of the outstanding issues with the Droid X but it did fix some serious ones (like auto starting after the phone is turned off). On balance your Droid X should work better after 621 (GB 2.3.4) than before (GB 2.3.3).

If you do the above steps and the problems persist, then contact Verizon or Motorola and request a replacement phone. They'll probably want you to try a factory data reset first and you'll be able to report that you've already done so.

Regards, D.Harris

sparky57
What's DOS?
Message 18 of 21

Well I did as you suggested last night. It started working great. No lag, quick response. Then I started to download a few apps. Bottom of device started to get hot. I left it alone for awhile for it to cool down. I resumed downloading just a few apps, very popular ones. I started to open one of the apps after it downloaded and the device rebooted on its own. I think I'll take it back to the VZW store and see what they can offer me. I have the total equipment coverage with Asurion.

Barkleyfan
802.11n
Message 19 of 21

I can say from experience the Maxx is a far better experience. That could change with ICS, but for now, its very solid. Most stable device I've owned, altho the Thunderbolt was close after developers straightened it out. But the build qualify sucked. My X is far older, but in much better shape, even tho its now the angry birds phone for the kids.
Aptiva
What's DOS?
Message 20 of 21

Reading the various Android community sites, I saw the horror stories and even a few decent points about the .621 update.  I myself am running off the .605 rooted and with the .15p radio.  I have used the official Verizon .605 OTA and a few Gingerbread based Blur roms and am currently running successfully (and quite spectacularly I may add) an Android 4.0.4 rom. I am running a rooted device obviously and there are consequences and rewards to running a rooted device.  I saw slower performance and more ANR on the official OTA vs the roms, but that is just one success story out of a million failed setups.  Moto has done "their part" in providing some updates, but based on what I've read and experienced, .605 was the better official OTA as far as improvements except the radio update in .621 but imo isn't worth the hassle of taking the upgrade to .621.

I personally think Moto can still do more with the DX and DX2, such as worth with the developers of ROMs and possibly working out something to help give us the tools to update our phones without the ability to unlock our bootloaders, but that is a completely different discussion.

Just my 2 cents.