Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Views: 111
Message 11 of 18

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich

cddroid said:

JustinSkipper, you've given me hope to keep holding on! :-) I was hoping there would be a new phone coming out soon! My Droid X is good and all, if a little slow at times, but I sure would like to have something a little newer. Thanks!

A very nice picture.  Was this photo enhanced in any way or did your DX simply do a great job of color rendering?   --- Dan

mikeurl
Paper Tape
Message 12 of 18

I don't know what is involved on the back end but I do know that updates help.  So Droid X isn't getting ICS--that's disappointing.  It helps to remind me that the Droid X doesn't really take good pictures, or video and the GPS is only fair.  I'm reminded of how slow the data connection is or how long it takes Google Maps to start up and actually update the traffic.  I mean, those complaints were always in the back of my head but a lot of it was pushed back because moto was working hard on updates.

And now they aren't.  So all i have is my aging phone, a lot of complaints and no new features to look forward to.  And when my contract is up in a few months how will I feel about Moto and Verizon?  Meh.  Not good, not bad, just meh.  but had they been updating my phone all the way through the end of my contract I'd be feeling pretty good about them.  I'd be a lot more likely to upgrade to the latest and greatest moto offering.  As it is Samsung is looking pretty good.  And if I'm going to have a locked down phone I'd look at Apple too.  Lastly those tmobile plans sound pretty sweet.

My point is they lose a lot of loyalty when they abandon a phone.  Particularly when people are tied into these very lengthy contracts.  I'm not jumping up and down mad...just, disappointed.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 13 of 18

mikeurl said:

I don't know what is involved on the back end but I do know that updates help.  So Droid X isn't getting ICS--that's disappointing.  It helps to remind me that the Droid X doesn't really take good pictures, or video and the GPS is only fair.  I'm reminded of how slow the data connection is or how long it takes Google Maps to start up and actually update the traffic.  I mean, those complaints were always in the back of my head but a lot of it was pushed back because moto was working hard on updates.

And now they aren't.  So all i have is my aging phone, a lot of complaints and no new features to look forward to.  And when my contract is up in a few months how will I feel about Moto and Verizon?  Meh.  Not good, not bad, just meh.  but had they been updating my phone all the way through the end of my contract I'd be feeling pretty good about them.  I'd be a lot more likely to upgrade to the latest and greatest moto offering.  As it is Samsung is looking pretty good.  And if I'm going to have a locked down phone I'd look at Apple too.  Lastly those tmobile plans sound pretty sweet.

My point is they lose a lot of loyalty when they abandon a phone.  Particularly when people are tied into these very lengthy contracts.  I'm not jumping up and down mad...just, disappointed.

I have two DX's and they take beautiful pictures as long as there is sufficient lighting, either natural or man made as long as the lighting color frequency is correct.  I do feel anyone's pain who owns the DX regarding not getting ICS, but that said, it's still one of my favorite Droid series phones.  Have you put your phone into safe mode recently to see if the performance of your phone returns in any of the areas you have mentioned?  Also, have you used one of the global cache cleaners from the Play Store that will clear the cache files on all the applications on your phone?   These two troubleshooting tips will generally improve performance and safe mode can help determine if any third party applications may be hindering the performance operation of your phone.   --- Dan

mikeurl
Paper Tape
Message 14 of 18

Thanks, I didn't know about safe mode and i did give it a try.  It didn't make any difference.

Also, I just want to be clear that I think the Droid X is a fine phone.  Sure it isn't as cool as the latest and greatest but normally that is OK.  It is just that from a customer service standpoint I think it is bad form to cut off updates on a phone that is still under the original contract for lots of folks.

As I shop for my next phone a big consideration for me is going to be how long the company provides update support on legacy hardware.  And moto, for obvious reasons, will be starting at a big disadvantage.

Doreen
802.11n
Message 15 of 18

I looked at the Razor Max....just don't like it.

My Droid X has been a good phone and I hate to give it up until I really have to.

Love the pic :-))

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 16 of 18

Doreen said:

My Droid X has been a good phone and I hate to give it up until I really have to.

View original

I actually don't blame you. The X was and still is a fantastic phone. I also have to admit that the Razr won me over after using it for only a short time.

Have you thought about a Droid M? They are actually a little smaller physically with the same size screen as the X. The only thing that if you are still happy with the X than there really is no reason to upgrade. It is hard to change when you are happy.

Don't worry, Be happy! cool

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 17 of 18

Doreen said:

View original

Doreen, I hear ya.  smiley  I have two Droid X's and I love both of them.  They have been work horses and extremely reliable.  I know that I have zero intention of getting rid of mine anytime soon!  That said, the new series of Droid Razr phones, the Droid Razr HD, Razr Maxx HD and as Joel mentioned the Droid Razr M are really cutting edge phones.  My personal favorite of those three is the Droid Razr Maxx HD, I personally think Motorola knocked the ball out of the park with that unit.    --- Dan

Mattness
What's DOS?
Message 18 of 18

I have had my Droid X for more than two years now. I like the phone, but my battery is already starting to expand — a sure sign that the end is near. I have no desire to spend money on a new battery since my upgrade is available. I also am disappointed that the X won't be getting Ice Cream Sandwich.

Trouble is, when I walked into a Verizon Wireless store this summer, I learned that if you upgrade, you are required to give up your unlimited data! The only alternative Verizon offered me was to purchase a new phone at full retail ($700+) Sorry, Verizon. I just went on eBay and bought a new-in-box Droid Bionic for less then half that amount... and I get to keep my unlimited data. What it has that the X doesn't: a faster processor, 4G LTE data, a front-facing camera, a better battery, better screen resolution, and the kicker: Ice Cream Sandwich!

Really, I don't want any of the Razr/Razr MAXX models anyway, since you can't remove the battery (dumb move, Motorola!) Removing the battery is one of easiest and fastest ways to troubleshoot your phone, not to mention giving you the option to replace the battery! DUH! surprise